Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Obscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
A small weakness in Obscure is that it assumes that all senses are created equal.

That isn't the case for relatively short-ranged senses like Smell or Vibration Sense, or a non-ranged sense like Taste.

I think it would be fair to apply a -20% Accessibility limitation to Obscure if it can only "jam" a relatively short-ranged sense, or a -40% limitation if it can only affect a non-ranged sense.
You'd have to overhaul the entire thing if you did that. Arguably targeting senses like Vision should cost more in such cases. Not that that's a bad idea, but I don't think it would be worth it in the end.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I don’t think I’ve ever used Obscure, as a GM or a player. I’ve used Chameleon, Invisibility and Silence as concealment powers, but never this one. Have you?
I've only tinkered with it. The idea behind it feels kind of meta-gamey in the way it assumes that every form of detection should be equally easy to obfuscate. I've shied away from using it in games, although it seems suited to vision blocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
A small weakness in Obscure is that it assumes that all senses are created equal.
I'd call that a major problem. You really should have separate advantages with their own prices that depend on the utility of the affected sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Not only have I never used this disad, I don't think I've ever even noticed it.

How appropriate.
It is arcane ;)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #13
Prince Charon

A variant on something posted earlier in the thread:
Obscure (Vision; Defensive, +50%; Targeting only, -20%; Only When Berserk, -20%; power modifier, -10%) # [##]

Berserkers don't have good survival prospects, but something like that could be pretty helpful. The specific power modifier would affect how it messes with targeting, and 'Vision' might be switched out for something else. One version that occurs to me is to have the base power be Probability Alteration, so the logic is that you're luckier in specific ways when you're in a frenzied rage. Possibly accompany it with one or more other Probability Alteration abilities with the Only When Berserk limitation. (EDIT: Basing it on Telepathy could be something like 'Your rage clouds the minds of others!')

In case anyone is curious, 'Only When Berserk' comes from the Berserkergang style, in GURPS Martial Arts: Yrth Fighting Styles pp15-16, with the limitation being detailed on p25.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 07-03-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
A variant on something posted earlier in the thread:
Obscure (Vision; Defensive, +50%; Targeting only, -20%; Only When Berserk, -20%; power modifier, -10%) # [##]
Its a powerful combination, but I don't know how natural it is. Compare making the Berserker invisible.

But yeah, Obscure is one of the few defenses a berserker can make good use of.

Amulets of deflection from that other game could be built this way, as an alternative to using DR.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, obscure