Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2021, 10:31 PM   #1
DangerousThing

Default Help with TK limitation

Hi,

I'm going to be gm'ing a game that uses GURPS Psionics, and I'm thinking of a limitation on telekinesis.

Imagine that the character can only use their TK on a set of six specific 2" steel balls (perhaps with some "decorations" al la the Phantasm movies). The character could make more between adventures, but with this TK, they could only use the set the character has with them at the time.

I'm thinking perhaps a 50-60% limitation? Does this sound right?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:07 AM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: Help with TK limitation

Sounds like Gadget Limitations: Breakable, Size, Can Be Stolen, Unique p 116 to 117.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I'm going to be gm'ing a game that uses GURPS Psionics, and I'm thinking of a limitation on telekinesis.

Imagine that the character can only use their TK on a set of six specific 2" steel balls (perhaps with some "decorations" al la the Phantasm movies). The character could make more between adventures, but with this TK, they could only use the set the character has with them at the time.

The 'six steel balls' part sounds quite restricted. What do you envision being able to do with them?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Donny Brook

Quote:
Hi,

Normal TK is imagined as having a regular invisible pair of hands of TK strength and a reach matching your TK range. If you are retaining those properties but saying that the imaginary hands can only touch the steel balls, I'd rate it as -80%.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 06-26-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Right off the bat I see it eliminates all fine motor control. Flinging/pressing metal balls at things isn't as good as paws let alone hands. In general that alone is -40: No Fine Manipulators.
The rest probably is just Gadget limitations. Though smaller objects allow slightly more control, but less "bonking" use. So I think size considerations may be more complicated than default.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
The 'six steel balls' part sounds quite restricted. What do you envision being able to do with them?
Juggling, punching, stabbing, that sort of thing. Basically anything that flying 4" diameter steel balls with stabby-parts can do.

Phastasm Collection Trailer Around 0.42s there is one of the flying balls.

No, in the movie they aren't (probably) being controlled by telekinesis. It's a great effect, and very memorable decades later. The rest of the movie is pretty generic, though.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Juggling, punching, stabbing, that sort of thing.
What is that other than an Innate Attack?

Seems like one of those cases where you might want a couple of abilities in an AA group rather than Telekinesis, even if that's the notional explanation for why the balls are flying around.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
What is that other than an Innate Attack?

Seems like one of those cases where you might want a couple of abilities in an AA group rather than Telekinesis, even if that's the notional explanation for why the balls are flying around.
That's what I was thinking. If the main thing the OP interested in is the attacks, build an IA with some appropriate modifiers, and pick up any cosmetic stuff to do minor tricks, possibly as Alternative Abilities. Teke seems too broad for what is desired. Note that you could still attach a Psychokinesis power mod to IA.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:16 PM   #9
CeeDub

Looks to me like it requires Innate Attack with a Gadget limitation rather than Telekinesis, or at least IA as an Alternative Ability to TK (or vice versa).
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #10
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
That's what I was thinking. If the main thing the OP interested in is the attacks, build an IA with some appropriate modifiers, and pick up any cosmetic stuff to do minor tricks, possibly as Alternative Abilities. Teke seems too broad for what is desired. Note that you could still attach a Psychokinesis power mod to IA.
With the 'Overhead' mod, I think it's called.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, psionics