Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
mmeloche

Default Re: Insubstaniality and Leech

I'm not sure about combining with Insubstantial, but to use Leech in combat, I've always tacked on Aura +80%.
mmeloche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeloche View Post
I'm not sure about combining with Insubstantial, but to use Leech in combat, I've always tacked on Aura +80%.
Powers, I believe, says Leech needs Ranged and Malediction. Area Effect can stand in for Ranged.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
The write-up explicitly says that in combat, you have to grapple or pin to use Leech. Which is obviously not viable while you're intangible.
It also mentions options for out of combat use. Insubstantiality might be of use in a few ways, there.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Agent

Only in-system use I see without a custom modifier is to go ahead and take Ranged, then slap reversed Touch-Based on the +100% Malediction, thereby requiring 'touch'.

'Ranged' is a lie to the tune of +40% but this can be thought of as removing the 'grapple' requirement. That rather is more 'ranged' than directly grappling in close combat.

Naturally it requires a Quick Contest every turn, but overall this seems a model for 'soul-stealing wraith-touch', if you will.

I do like the Binding idea, perhaps with Link +20%.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
The Benj

It's not a lie, you're going from touch to ranged, then from ranged to Malediction. I'm not clear on why it's verboten to have a regular Ranged version though.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
Agent

I meant on the build I mentioned, not the direct modifier in Powers. By using reverse Sense-Based (touch) it is back to 'touch'. Though still less restrictive than needing grappling or helplessness.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
kirbwarrior

Aren't you considered to be in contact with someone merely having a hand inside them? If no one in the scene can do anything about your Insubstantiality, then you might not be in 'combat' and can easily focus on just keeping a hand 'on' someone in combat.

Just a thought.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
Yako

This thread, again, makes me wish Leech was not such a messy advantage...

Lifestealing auras, blooddrinking weapons, all not really easy to do with the advantage...

Leech is currently either something you would use one of your attacks for with the limitation that it can only performed from a grapple, or a ranged malediction you can use on anyone in range.

aura to make it not take any maneuver to use in case 1 should work, but you still would have to grapple each victim.
an aura with area effect though...

I do think it would have the same problems as a follow up leech and such...
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #19
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
This thread, again, makes me wish Leech was not such a messy advantage...

Lifestealing auras, blooddrinking weapons, all not really easy to do with the advantage...

Leech is currently either something you would use one of your attacks for with the limitation that it can only performed from a grapple, or a ranged malediction you can use on anyone in range.

aura to make it not take any maneuver to use in case 1 should work, but you still would have to grapple each victim.
an aura with area effect though...

I do think it would have the same problems as a follow up leech and such...
Agreed. Leech is a bit too expensive for all the limitations built in. It's actually cheaper to buy Imbue 3 (One Skill Only) [8] and get a decent skill in Vampiric Strike.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #20
Agent

We can thank the 'template' of Vampiric Bite being used for it. Not very 'generic' of a baseline, so no surprise it trips over itself when modelling significantly different concepts.

Tags
insubstantiality, leech