Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #41
Otaku

Default Re: is there a way to make a power mimic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Oh, thank you, that makes my life much easier when reading through gurps.

A note on Megaman, Zelda on the snes also takes only 6 hours to beat, and many early final fantasies only 10 (referencing only for their times). I don't think that means that is how short the game is from the character's point of views. Megaman might be a full campaign per game.
It might... but I really doubt it. Take Final Fantasy; that is a JRPG and much of the game is abstract (e.g. select command from menu, character carries it out, exact time passed unknown save it is a "round"). Mega Man is a action/platform game. Stages may be abstractions that don't show how long Mega Man really is taking to traverse them (but his ability to teleport to key places is canon) but everything I've seen/read/played indicates that even then, they aren't JRPG level abstractions.

If there were obstacles or enemies, it would be slightly long but leisurely jog through each stage. Speed runs for many classic Mega Man games are under one full hour. 3 hours was basically me tripling the time it takes someone who knows how to play and where they are going to beat the game.

I haven't read the Archie Mega Man comics, but I know enough about them that one of the criticisms is that the video games are covered very quickly (2-4 issues) Again, this is open to interpretation and I am giving my analysis of it; you have to insert a lot into the games to make them time consuming epics. This is why I'd like to know how Mega Man is handled in the manga and the Archie comic book series; if they give an "official limit", that is about as good as we can hope because the video games never really do.

TL;DR: Sessions aren't even always that "short"; I've playing in GURPS sessions where several years passed as part of the story (game had a bit of a tactical feel to it, which included laying low between battles). For classic series Mega Man, his games are usually set up so that they don't take too long to play irl and the story is happening over a matter of days... perhaps even just hours. There are exceptions, and this is an interpretation, and I am aware that sometimes a single session involves very little time passing in the campaign setting, so that even something lasting mere "hours" might be more than one session.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 09-08-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Misread which game was being cited.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neutralize, power theft