Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 04:48 AM   #1
beetle496

Default Uploading Photos?

Does this forum not facilitate putting a picture in a post? I have seen images, but they were mods/admins.

If have a .jpeg elsewhere, can I have it show up in a message here? Or can I only link to it?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: Uploading Photos?

Image posting is restricted to SJG Staff members.

Anyone else can only post links to the image. If you do, please leave a good text description of what you're linking to.
MIB #1457
Old 10-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
beetle496

If I figure out a public site to upload a photo, can I have the photo display on this forum? I am thinking — Nope!

At the bottom of every page, I just now noticed BB code is on and, sadly, “IMG is off”.

Copy/paste from that page: http://forums.sjgames.com/images/sta.../forum_new.gif

Just shows the URL.

Last edited by beetle496; 10-12-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:43 AM   #4
Farmer

SJG presumably doesn't want to deal with hosting, bandwidth, or questionable content issues.

Does it really matter if the image isn't inline? If you've linked it and described what it is, then people can check it for reference.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Old 10-13-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Does it really matter if the image isn't inline?
Thumbnails attachments would be okay. No, I don’t really need inline.
Quote:
If you've linked it and described what it is, then people can check it for reference.
Yes, but using some other board and then linking just feels wrong. It is what I have done for now.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Yes, but using some other board and then linking just feels wrong. It is what I have done for now.
There's plenty of free image and file hosting services out there you could use instead. Here's a few: imgur, Google Photos, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:23 AM   #7
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
There's plenty of free image and file hosting services out there…
My point is that I should not need one more service. I am a bit of a curmudgeon!
Old 10-14-2021, 04:52 AM   #8
Farmer

Quote:
My point is that I should not need one more service. I am a bit of a curmudgeon!
And SJG should not need to host images, which are rarely required on these forums and take up space and cost them money (imagine all the images that might pile up over decades).

Virtually everyone has some sort of cloud storage now. Google, Micrsoft, Apple, Dropbox, and then all the various image hosting sites. There's currently 1,924,328 messages on these forums (well, 1,924,329 once I hit submiit).

The image you linked is 356kb. Let's assume that's repeated 10% of the time people post. That's nearly 67GB. Not a lot by today's standards, but I bet these forums are backed up, and that takes time and money on top of the basic storage. It could also affect indexing and search speeds. And let's face it, most people are bit lazy abouut keeping image sizes down, and then you get people who meme spam and suddently it's a lot more storage and backup and transfer, etc. etc.

This is a free service.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #9
beetle496

@Farmer — I would argue that your points are more applicable to SJG (as host) than to me, and I do mostly agree. But the services you list have free versions too, so I do not see how that is relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
And SJG should not need to host images…
The lack of images has not been much of an issue over the years, since pictures are not really needed to facilitate conversations around SJG products, and these forums are plenty busy!

Am I correct that this forum is the preferred channel for feature requests?

If so, I respectfully request a miniatures sub-forum under the Car Wars (similar to Cars Wars Old Editions), and that [IMG] code be enable for that sub-forum.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #10
Farmer

Quote:
@Farmer — I would argue that your points are more applicable to SJG (as host) than to me, and I do mostly agree. But the services you list have free versions too, so I do not see how that is relevant.
Huh?

I'm pointing out that SJG shouldn't need to pay to host all your images for decades across millions of posts. All the other services I mentioned are either vast, multinational companies worth hundreds of billions of dollars or derive advertising revenue from hosting.

Just host the images yourself like everyone else.
Closed Thread