Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #21
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Campaign idea: the Shattered Lands

One thing I am currently trying to work out is assembling various 0one Games maps into a coherent geography. Probably all the larger area maps that include rivers will be one big river, though in some cases I might shove them off onto smaller tributaries. I think the Domain of Blood might wind up in one of the further-north hexes, though I might put the Hall of Giants even further beyond that. It's unfortunate that the Great City is laid out in a way that doesn't really make sense on a river as opposed to a coast—perhaps it was created by an ambitious prince who wanted to compete with one or more cities along the river that happened to be controlled by more powerful rulers, and by chance it was the only city in the region that survived the Wizards' Wars. (This also suggests a name: Princeport.)

I continue to be interested in what ideas other people have.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:54 AM   #22
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Took your suggestion and bought the adventure, mostly because it seemed like a shame not to own such a classic adventure, but looking at the technology section in the back I'm not sure how well it translates to GURPS. The blaster rifle has effects comparable to what can be done with high-level wizard spells (while only getting three shots per "power disc"), but DFRPG spells tend not to be quite as powerful as high-level D&D spells. Meanwhile the powered armor is IMHO kind of disappointing—only a bit better than the best non-magical armor normally available to PCs, and nowhere near as good as high-end magical armor. I guess I could use that sort of spiritually—modeling sci-fi materials as being equivalent to giant spider silk, dragonhide, or orichalcum, while making sure other gear isn't too much more effective than what can be done with spells? But it's not a complete solution.
Yeah, inserting just about anything from Ultra-tech into your DF game as-is has disaster written all over it, unless your game is over the top with magic items.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:05 AM   #23
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
A couple other thoughts - are elves, dwarves, orcs, etc creations of the magic golden age? Or even mutants created by the magical apocalypse?
For those familiar with it, Evernight, a Savage Worlds setting has an interesting take on Elves, Halflings and Dwarves and Orcs. Basically resulting from genetic experimentation.

Quote:

On a tangential note, I remember a D&D blogger who came up with the idea of a campaign using only monsters from the Fiend Folio. He concluded you would wind up with something feeling more post-apocalyptic than vanilla fantasy. You might consider filtering for monsters that are a little weird & unnatural and weeding out more mundane & mythic creatures to give more of an "After the End" feel.
I've more or less done that in a D&D 1e game. I used to freak my players out just leaving it on the table - something I still do as I convert a lot of critters. The 1e FF has a lot of iconic coll monsters in it - Drow, before they became ubiquitous thanks to D'rizz, Aarakocra, Githyanki/Githzerai, Flumph, Grell, Skeleton Warrior, Oriental Dragon, Slaad.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote