Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #551
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Does anyone have another question about the SC Interstellar Survey Service that you think needs asking? If not, is there a question on another subject that we need to ask?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:44 AM   #552
Prince Charon

Should I declare this template final, or does anyone have suggestions for changes or additions?

Betazoid Template (possibly final?)

Attributes

IQ +1 [20]

Secondary Characteristics

Per +1 [5]

Social Background

Languages: 22nd Century Betazoid (Native) [0].

TL: 10^

Cultural Familiarity: 22nd Century Betazoid [0].

Subtotal: 25

Advantages

Protected Power (Telepathy) [5]
Telepathy Talent 4 [20]
Emotion Sense 4 (Cosmic: No roll on unprotected minds, +50%; Always On, -50%) [20]
Telereceive, Shallow (Cosmic: No roll on unprotected minds, +50%; Always On, -50%) 4 [27]
Telesend 3 [21]

Perks

Skill Adaptation (Emotion Sense based on Per). [1]
Skill Adaptation (Telereceive based on Per). [1]

Subtotal: 95

Disadvantages

Chummy [-5]

Quirks

Doesn't understand mental privacy. [-1]

Subtotal: -6

Features

Skills

Emotion Sense [Per/H] [1] Per+2*
Telereceive [Per/H] [4] Per+4*
Telesend [IQ/H] [1] IQ+2*

*Includes +4 from Telepathy Talent.

Techniques

Multiplicity (H) Telereceive-5 [6] Telereceive-0
New Approach (H) Telereceive-5 [0] Telereceive-5
Universal (H) Telereceive-5 [2] Telereceive-4

Universal (H) Telesend-5 [2] Telesend-4

Subtotal: 16

Total: 130

Notes

I gave them 'Chummy' to represent the fact that they're used to perceiving the thoughts of others around them, and thus become uncomfortable when they're relatively alone.

Note that 'unprotected minds' is a somewhat different category than 'unshielded minds,' as the mind of someone using Mind Block or similar is not shielded, but is protected; likewise, someone with a Mind Shield who deliberately lets the Betazoid read their thoughts is unprotected against their Telepathy. In other words, if a Betazoid is faced with someone who is not using any method that actively or passively resists mind reading, they automatically read the subject's emotions and surface thoughts, but if resisted at all, they need to roll for it. Note also that Emotion Sense normally works the same on anything that can feel emotions, regardless of sapience, so the Animalism technique is not needed.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:52 AM   #553
Inky

Why "Protected Power"? Is there anything in the series (or your own personal taste) to suggest that anything that can mess up a telepath's senses wouldn't work as well on a Betazoid as on any other telepath?

It is, I believe, not always on (unless, again, you're deliberately doing that differently in Psi Trek). There was an episode, I think called "Tin Man", which featured a Betazoid who was born unable to turn off his telepathy and had developed mental problems from the constant noise.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #554
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Attributes
IQ +1 [20]

Secondary Characteristics
Per +1 [5]
I would drop both if these. A race that had a full +1 IQ bonus would be perceived as generally more intelligent than humans, and I just don’t see that with Betezoids. The Per +1 is not so bad, but I’d still drop it.

Quote:
Disadvantages
Chummy [-5]

Quirks

Notes
I gave them 'Chummy' to represent the fact that they're used to perceiving the thoughts of others around them, and thus become uncomfortable when they're relatively alone.
I thought I had a problem with these, but you’ve convinced me otherwise.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:47 AM   #555
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Why "Protected Power"? Is there anything in the series (or your own personal taste) to suggest that anything that can mess up a telepath's senses wouldn't work as well on a Betazoid as on any other telepath?
That's been on the template long enough that I'm not sure why it's there. I think I included it out of habit, though I may have read someone arguing that races who all have a single power seem reasonably likely to have Protected Power for that one. Need to think about it, but maybe I should drop it. I'm not sure if Trek ever showed things that can disrupt telepathy, rather than just prevent specific minds from being 'heard,' so I can't refer to an episode to check.

Quote:
It is, I believe, not always on (unless, again, you're deliberately doing that differently in Psi Trek). There was an episode, I think called "Tin Man", which featured a Betazoid who was born unable to turn off his telepathy and had developed mental problems from the constant noise.
They really don't act like they can turn off their telepathy, nor do the other characters behave like it's an option that the Betazoids refuse to exercise (which would make the quirk an OPH of -5 or worse, instead), rather than just one of the things that you have to deal with while being around them. As for Tam Elbrun, the article doesn't say that he can't turn it off, just that that "Betazoids in this condition do not have the natural ability to ignore background thoughts from others."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I would drop both if these. A race that had a full +1 IQ bonus would be perceived as generally more intelligent than humans, and I just don’t see that with Betezoids. The Per +1 is not so bad, but I’d still drop it.
I'll need to think about that, but you may be right. There isn't much point when they already have a high Telepathy Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I thought I had a problem with these, but you’ve convinced me otherwise.
Cool. Thank you.

-- Tacitus

Old 03-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #556
Anders

I think the quirk is fine, but maybe a note that it can easily develop into a full-blown Odious Personal Habit.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #557
Prince Charon

New version of the template:

Betazoid Template (final)

Social Background

Languages: 22nd Century Betazoid (Native) [0].

TL: 10^

Cultural Familiarity: 22nd Century Betazoid [0].

Subtotal: 0

Advantages

Telepathy Talent 4 [20]
Emotion Sense 4 (Cosmic: No roll on unprotected minds, +50%; Always On, -50%) [20]
Telereceive, Shallow (Cosmic: No roll on unprotected minds, +50%; Always On, -50%) 4 [27]
Telesend 3 [21]

Perks

Skill Adaptation (Emotion Sense based on Per). [1]
Skill Adaptation (Telereceive based on Per). [1]

Subtotal: 90

Disadvantages

Chummy [-5]

Quirks

Subtotal: -6

Features

Skills

Emotion Sense [Per/H] [1] Per+2*
Telereceive [Per/H] [4] Per+4*
Telesend [IQ/H] [1] IQ+2*

*Includes +4 from Telepathy Talent.

Techniques

Multiplicity (H) Telereceive-5 [6] Telereceive-0
New Approach (H) Telereceive-5 [0] Telereceive-5
Universal (H) Telereceive-5 [2] Telereceive-4

Universal (H) Telesend-5 [2] Telesend-4

Subtotal: 16

Total: 100

Notes

I gave them 'Chummy' to represent the fact that they're used to perceiving the thoughts of others around them, and thus become uncomfortable when they're relatively alone. Some Betazoids can be unusually annoying about mentioning the thoughts around them, upgrading their quirk to a full OPH.

Note that 'unprotected minds' is a somewhat different category than 'unshielded minds,' as the mind of someone using Mind Block or similar is not shielded, but is protected; likewise, someone with a Mind Shield who deliberately lets the Betazoid read their thoughts is unprotected against their Telepathy. In other words, if a Betazoid is faced with someone who is not using any method that actively or passively resists mind reading, they automatically read the subject's emotions and surface thoughts, but if resisted at all, they need to roll for it. Note also that Emotion Sense normally works the same on anything that can feel emotions, regardless of sapience, so the Animalism technique is not needed.

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 03-26-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:54 AM   #558
Inky

Quote:
They really don't act like they can turn off their telepathy, nor do the other characters behave like it's an option that the Betazoids refuse to exercise (which would make the quirk an OPH of -5 or worse, instead), rather than just one of the things that you have to deal with while being around them. As for Tam Elbrun, the article doesn't say that he can't turn it off, just that that "Betazoids in this condition do not have the natural ability to ignore background thoughts from others."
That's fair. Maybe like how some people with autism or some other medical conditions can't ignore background noises or tune them out to focus on one sound over another, but everyone can hear them all the time, they're just not listening, but if you said their name they would hear it.

I've seen it said that Betazoids have an unfortunate habit of saying exactly what they're thinking because on their home planet they're used to everyone already knowing anyway. That would probably be some form of Truthfulness. On the other hand, in the few TNG episodes I've seen I honestly haven't noticed that myself. Maybe leave that up to the player to add as an individual disad if they want to, like the OPH you mentioned.

I like the new version! I was surprised that it's as much as 100 points, but if that's the value GURPS does give for their psychic powers, then that's the value it gives.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:12 AM   #559
Captain Joy

Quote:
Maybe leave that up to the player to add as an individual disad if they want to, like…
I think this is good advice for racial templates in general. I only put things in a racial template that I think nearly every member of that species should have; but, I also include a bunch of "Common Traits" that members of that species are encouraged to take.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionics, space, star trek, world building