Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2016, 12:18 AM   #41
corwyn

Default Re: Definition of 'disadvantage'

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Hobby Skill. Also possibly some ST rolls... maybe.

But yeah, on thought, there should never be a ST!.
Well, 4e has taken a firm stand on no ST rolls - ST affects things like encumbrance while doing things we consider ST for (climbing, etc.). And for anything that requires a ST roll, I would assign it to either Lifting or Striking ST, depending on the intensity/duration of the effort required.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:35 AM   #42
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Certainly people who are smart but weak willed and oblivious exist. So do myopic, absent-minded and people with Parkinsons. Allowing unlimited will and perception reduction undermines the character design system. IQ isn't intended to cost a straight ten character points per point and letting it cost that messes with Talents. And superhumanly intelligent characters always have higher than average perception and/or will
Absent Minded and Bad Sight are obvious disadvantages therefore unrelated to what I wrote. Having normal Willpower or Perception is not a disadvantage anywhere except Gurps and only for really intelligent people. That is what's silly.
Saying that superhumans ALWAYS have anything is patently wrong as they don't exist so vary in fiction in every conceivable way.

I also dealt with the underlying gamist issue of too low of price for IQ! with increasing the price to 20.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #43
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Absent Minded and Bad Sight are obvious disadvantages therefore unrelated to what I wrote.
If you have a high enough Perception, Bad Sight only modifies your ability to see things down to "normal"
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #44
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
If you have a high enough Perception, Bad Sight only modifies your ability to see things down to "normal"
The primary downside for Bad Sight is for combat, not vision. Either -2 to melee and double range for range penalties OR -3 to close combat. Admittedly not as much an issue if you don't engage in the respective combat - I've always thought that Farsighted is overly generous.

Also, 6 Perception costs more than you get for Bad Sight though I suppose the bonus to other perceptions might be a good tradeoff for some characters.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantages, quirk limit