Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Luke Bunyip

Default [Horror] The Holy Land, and not so holy...

Given I might need some Horror related ideas prior to the release of GURPS: Horror 4e, where on the tangled Web could I find tropes that relate to the Holy Land, and Things Better Left Undisturbed? I am after acts of barbarity, such as the Crusader massacring of Jerusalem, Richard the Lionheart’s pillaging of Cyprus, etc, as well as miracles and non barbaric events. Incidents relating to the Seljuk’s would be appropriate as well.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
NorphTehDwarf

Default Re: [Horror] The Holy Land, and not so holy...

I don't know how accurate the Bible is on matters like this, but I seem to remember something about a genocide against Canaanites. I think that's the right area, although it happened a long time before the era of the Crusades.

edit: how does that relate to horror? I dunno, how about a hundred thousand angry, hungry ghosts, held in place only through the continued existence of scroll x or chalice y or whatever.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Daigoro

Does it have to be in the Holy Land?

The Albigensian Crusade was in a similar time period, but in the south of France, with Christians massacring (a different type of, heretical) Christians. It was very bloody and violent, and I believe gave birth to the infamous quote, "Kill them all and let God sort them out."
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
Philosopher Rogue

As far as a ludography goes Vampire: The Dark Ages had some material on Jerusalem and other Holy Land sites. I don't know how historically accurate they were, but I do remember thinking they were fun to read.
Philosopher Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Reminds me of Clive Barker's Jericho. Should probably look at it for inspiration. (Not copy the story, just use the ideas.)
Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorphTehDwarf View Post
I don't know how accurate the Bible is on matters like this, but I seem to remember something about a genocide against Canaanites. I think that's the right area, although it happened a long time before the era of the Crusades.

edit: how does that relate to horror? I dunno, how about a hundred thousand angry, hungry ghosts, held in place only through the continued existence of scroll x or chalice y or whatever.
Gee, its been a while since I read the Old Testiment. That is so weird. The players are Canaanites in a prequel one off game. Nice piece of colour which I could keep up my GM'ing sleeve.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Does it have to be in the Holy Land?
Yep. Have sort set things up for the players to find a nest of Sumerian demons and assorted undead in a crypt in southern Syria, circa 1922. I am fishing for some extra stuff with which to confuse one of the players. He will have some arcane Area Knowledge, but I don't want everything I give him to be relivant to the game at hand.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher Rogue View Post
As far as a ludography goes Vampire: The Dark Ages had some material on Jerusalem and other Holy Land sites. I don't know how historically accurate they were, but I do remember thinking they were fun to read.
Ta. Will check it out.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Reminds me of Clive Barker's Jericho. Should probably look at it for inspiration. (Not copy the story, just use the ideas.)
Not familiar with it. Will check it out thanks.

Actually, you got me thinking of Sodom and Gomorrah. Might check them out as well.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Luke Bunyip

I might go and do some web trawling for stuff on barbaric Crusader acts in the Holy Land. Some stuff about the Zealots and the Roman Jewish conflict (IIRC 60AD), might help as well.

Tags
horror