Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Does Scanning Sense still provide an active sense when "off"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, the real thing is that a sonar detector is basically free on the scale of a submarine, so there's no real reason not to have both systems, but ultrahearing is not discounted for having sonar.
It could be, though. Pay full price for Sonar, and then take Ultrahearing as an alternate ability for 1/5 cost.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:09 AM   #12
Pursuivant

Some senses could provide a limited passive sense when the sense is otherwise shut down.

That would make sense for abilities which mimic gadgets which have "standby" or "sleep" modes. The ability would normally turn off or go into power-saving mode when it wasn't in use, but would retain the ability to turn back on the second after it detects a "ping" from some active emitter.

I'd treat that as a +0% enhancement. You save a bit of power and wear, and perhaps make it harder to detect your sense, but you miss "instantaneous" events and possibly the first second of a longer event because your sense isn't always on.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:11 AM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It could be, though. Pay full price for Sonar, and then take Ultrahearing as an alternate ability for 1/5 cost.
That would make you deaf when making noise
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:16 AM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That would make you deaf when making noise
More specifically, when you were emitting sonar pulses, you would hear their echoes, but you wouldn't hear other ultrasound (unless it was so loud as to obscure your sonar). I don't see much problem with that; I would expect that your sonar would be loud enough to be picked out from background noises.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
More specifically, when you were emitting sonar pulses, you would hear their echoes, but you wouldn't hear other ultrasound (unless it was so loud as to obscure your sonar). I don't see much problem with that; I would expect that your sonar would be loud enough to be picked out from background noises.
Suppose two submarines are using sonar. Do you think that they can't detect the other sub's pings along with their own? That would be the effect of making it an alternative ability.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote