Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
orfu

Default squidzilla, a sword and it's dead jim

So we've had some discussion during a game today where I had the sword that slays everything but squid.

I was battling a level 9 monster (for the winning level). Then someone added a wandering squidzilla.

So due to the sword this meant I had to run. However. I had the 'its dead Jim card'(dead, monster does not fight)

The argument we had was whether it was valid to use this card on squidzilla, as I should flee. My argument is that I could play the card at any time in any situation to kill a monster. Killing squidzilla in my mind meant that there was no longer a need to flee and I could continue combat against the other monster. However that I would not gain squidzillas treasure as I was not in actual combat with squidzilla.

We proceeded with that reasoning after some arguing, upon which I defeated the remaining level 9 and won. However am wondering whether my use of the it's dead Jim card was legal in this parsquidular situation. . thanks for helping out :-)

Last edited by orfu; 01-02-2022 at 03:30 PM.
orfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: squidzilla, a sword and it's dead jim

I think the ruling in the past has been that, once you decide (or, in this case, are compelled) to run away, you can't change your mind and fight if the situation changes. So the instant Squidzilla was played, you would begin an attempt to run away, and you would still have to resolve that attempt (against the remaining monsters) even if Squidzilla was quickly removed from play. Harsh, of course, but, as Achilles or Superman would tell you, having a crippling weakness isn't always a walk in the park.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #3
Brf

Default Re: squidzilla, a sword and it's dead jim

Yes. If you have The Sword that Slays Everything but Squid in play and you encounter Squidzilla, you must try to run away. Unlike Annihilation, It's Dead Jim does not cancel Squidzilla from being played. You cannot play it, since you are already forced to run away.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote