Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #1
Minuteman37

Default How to be a Likable character

So fellow GMs we've all be in a situation were we want to make the PCs care about a character. Usually so we can kill them off afterwords for dramatic tension, but that's besides the point.

In this thread: Give tips and tricks for getting players to care about your NPCs.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
Ciergan

Default Re: How to be a Likable character

Have them do something beneficial out of the blue for the PCs. The trick is to do so without making it seem twinky. But if that tall, dark, and handsome fellow wanders over and says to the PCs, "Here, you look like you need a pick-me-up," and just hands over a free ticket or a coupon for something seemingly inconsequential, and walks away whistling? That can create interest as well as gratitude.
Ciergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
RogerWilco

I'm not sure about likeable, but players are more likely to remember a NPC that has memorable habits, an accent, etc.

I think that after that, it will be how many times they interact with them, and get to know them, that will determine how much they bond with them.

Some of my most memorable NPCs:
- A merchant with a heavy Russian accent and not the best of looks or personal habits. But he still had a few pretty girlfriends who adored him. Later the PCs discovered he had a hypno-medallion to initially win the ladies over, and then his skill in bed made them stay and he would care really well for them. They got creeped out and had admiration for him at the same time.
- A tiny black dragon with megalomania, getting into trouble all the time.
- A very gullible elven king.
- A leader of a goblin tribe, who was really a polymorphed paladin.
- A captain of the guard who was a total neat freak.
- A very clever police detective in the same campaign, who was completely the opposite, aggravating the captain to no end.
- A very powerful and old wizard, who was supposed to hurt the party badly for trespassing near his castle, but then the party claimed to be there for his birthday, and rolled a critical success trying to convince him. Instead they became friends with the wizard and had to babysit his menagerie of weird creatures when he went on a trip.
- A rebel leader the party was supposed to fight, but the party discovered was a good family man (his wife was a scary fighter as well though), after they infiltrated his base. They ended up switching sides, supporting the rebels.
- Former PC characters, especially if sprung on them when they least expect it. (PCs visit a new city, do some stupid stuff, get brought in for questioning, which they usually talk their way out of. The interrogator is a former PC/diplomancer/evangelist/paladin, making them go: OH SH!T!!)

Last edited by RogerWilco; 12-22-2015 at 07:26 AM.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Be cheerful and friendly. Show interest in them, but don't show too much knowledge of their affairs. That makes PCs suspicious.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
ArchonShiva

The very first rule of likeable NPCs, which mostly applies to competent NPCs, is don't steal PCs' thunder.

Don't have NPCs who are better than them at things they enjoy, and generally speaking don't "steal kills".

The second rule, which mostly applies to less powerful NPCs, is don't create trouble.

NPCs can be in trouble, but shouldn't make their own. Don't be a cheap plot device for opening doors marked "don't open" like you're a blonde in a bad horror film.

Rule zero, as it were, is show, don't tell.

Don't tell the players that this girl is nice, dependable and attractive: make her act nice and dependable, and wait for them to hope she's attractive.

Mechanics-wise, buffing players is very popular: anyone who makes them better at what they do will make them feel awesome, and they'll love it.
Also, solving issues that they're unequipped for and don't seem to want to deal with: I'm not talking about the kid character who solves stuff that stumps the adults, I'm talking about when PCs say "ah, **** we need xyz". Low-key skills that the players lack are also popular, because it creates a hole when the NPC disappears, forcing the party to remember them (and miss them).
Generally speaking, make them feel awesome. Chinese tradition holds that after you save someone's life, you're responsible for them, and this kinda works for PCs too: it creates a sense of responsibility. Just the same, House of Cards tells us that the best way to make someone like you more is to ask them for a favour, not to offer one.

It is generally not about traits on a character sheet, but about actions and interactions (although making them pretty girls works with some groups). Make the players feel like the NPC needs them, and you can appeal to their "parenting" instincts.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
trooper6

I don't think there is one universal answer to this question.

Rather, I think it is important to know your players...and what things make them invested in an NPC.

Some players may be drawn to helpful and friendly characters.
Some players may be drawn to sarcastic and standoffish characters.
Some players may be drawn to competent characters.
Some players may be drawn to helpless characters.
Some players may be drawn to love interests.
Some players may be drawn to rivals.
Some players may be drawn to characters who show interest in them.
Some players may be drawn to characters who show NO interest in them.
etc.

I tend to recommend design a wide range of well rounded characters that all have a different sort of relationship to the PCs and then see how your players react. Do some pattern recognition to figure out what your individual players are drawn to.

Lastly, if you want your players to invest in your NPCs longer term...you can't kill off or imperil every one they care about. That will just teach them not to care.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Usually so we can kill them off afterwords for dramatic tension, but that's besides the point.
Top trick or tip, without which no other tip or trick will make any difference at all… stop doing this. That grumble aside, things I can think of.

Make them proactive, have them do things rather than be objects acted upon.

Have those things they do behind the scenes help the players out – do it without competing for the action. If the PC mission is to cripple/sabotage enemy defences, have the NPC be part of the force that attacks once the defences are crippled. Or if the PCs are part of a multi-pronged assault, have them work with the other prongs.

Show suitable gratitude. Even if you're working with a horde of thousands of ungrateful orcs, they might take note of that one orc who does appreciate them – and might even consider supporting that orc's rise within the clan (we can work with this guy!).

Make it so the PCs do something to secure their aid. If the challenge is to gain the assistance of person X, then it makes the PCs invested in it and keeping the fruits of their success.

Discuss player goals and work with it. If the PCs want to learn a spell, don't just say “you hear about this lead” - have the NPC present the lead.

Give them human motivations in their interaction with the group beyond merely business. NPCs may appreciate company or humour same as anyone else. If the PCs and NPCs are allied in a secretive evil conspiracy, have the NPCs willing to give information because there's just not many people they can talk about their work with.

Have NPCs with rivalries with each other – so the PCs can influence the balance of power.

Don't offer all the help all at once, make them offer help for individual tasks so they do not take it for granted.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Minuteman37

Quote:
Usually so we can kill them off afterwords for dramatic tension, but that's besides the point.
Ok I didn't think I'd need to clarify this, but this was meant as a joke and I'm not saying you should kill off a NPC as soon as the players develop an attachment to them.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
Donny Brook

Some things:

-picture
-one or two notable idiosyncrasies
-show loyalty to the PCs
-be neither helpless nor self-sufficient
-be useful, especially on matters the PCs don't like doing
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Ok I didn't think I'd need to clarify this, but this was meant as a joke and I'm not saying you should kill off a NPC as soon as the players develop an attachment to them.
Well yeah, we're not all G.R.R. Martin you know.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
npc design, npcs