Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #91
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I rolled fast-talk as well, as the pop culture is not enough to talk someone into doing something... though it certainly can help.

Pothi is hungry today. He's anxious to get to lunch. "Its time to eat! stop dragging your feet! we can talk about it on the way! Did breakfast make you sick or something?" He walks briskly towards the mess hall.

Daymar picks out a show with a controversial ending sounds out Pothi for a reaction. He gets one, but it fails to slow down the hungry spacer.

"come on, I've been on my feet all day!"

OCC: I feel somewhat conflicted about the roll: on the one hand, I don't want to slow the game down just asking you to make rolls in a two or three day exchange. On the other hand, you had a very minor chance to fail... and you didn't get to roll it. Let me know how you want that handled in the future
OOC: It's fine. Whether you roll it or I roll it, the odds are the same. If you feel I need to make a roll that I haven't made, go ahead and roll it.

Day responds, "Breakfast was fine, and I'm coming. I'm just not in a rush to stand in line waiting to be served - I like when it's a bit quieter."
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #92
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, I'm thinking of the case where my buddy's asleep and I'm loafing around a dozen floors above.
That would come off as pretty suspicious... unless you had a good cover. like "I've got a buddy on another shift and I was visiting him". Now, if the buddy was fake and they checked your story that'd get you in big trouble. So I suppose "Cover Story not checking out" is the real thing that gets you in trouble.

Quote:
Well, let's go ahead with the wave of questions strategy. What do I need to roll?
SF (Military) would be appropriate, as well as Diplomacy, or possibly even administration.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #93
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day responds, "Breakfast was fine, and I'm coming. I'm just not in a rush to stand in line waiting to be served - I like when it's a bit quieter."
"Well, that makes one of you!" Pothi is pressing the elevator buttons while Daymar is still walking down the hall.

The Mess hall is crowded, as it usually is: people are encouraged to hang out there even when it isn't time to eat. Daymar steers towards a table with only three other people on it (out of eight). He's still surrounded by people, but only those three are facing him... at least until the table fills up some more.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #94
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Well, that makes one of you!" Pothi is pressing the elevator buttons while Daymar is still walking down the hall.

The Mess hall is crowded, as it usually is: people are encouraged to hang out there even when it isn't time to eat. Daymar steers towards a table with only three other people on it (out of eight). He's still surrounded by people, but only those three are facing him... at least until the table fills up some more.
What's for lunch? Day figures it would be risky to try to use Suggestion on all the people at his table, so he's going to opt for a distraction. Once he has his meal and is seated, he's going to get back up to get something (a condiment, a napkin, a drink) and look for someone who either he knows has a short temper or looks a bit surly. Touching this person to get by, he's going to Suggest that he or she fight someone else in the mess, picking a likely target if he's become aware of any animosities.

Figuring it will take a little bit to get started, it should give him a chance to get back to his seat, and scoop the contaminated food into a napkin or other appropriate container to be disposed of later.

Let me know if I need to make any other rolls:

[38] 20-09-04 02:17:45 CEST

Suggestion to pick a fight

3d6
1 + 6 + 1 = 8 Success by 8

[39] 20-09-04 02:19:20 CEST

Filch to get the contaminated food off the table without anyone noticing

3d6 <= 13
1 + 6 + 3 = 10 ... success

[40] 20-09-04 02:20:25 CEST

Holdout to smuggle the filched food out of the cafeteria without anyone noticing

3d6 <= 14
1 + 3 + 5 = 9 ... success
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:00 PM   #95
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
SF (Military) would be appropriate, as well as Diplomacy, or possibly even administration.
Well, SF (Mil) is my best so...

Quote:
[41] 20-09-04 04:26:45 CEST

Right, let's try the flood of questions with SF (Military)

3d6 <= 14
1 + 1 + 6 = 8 ... success
OK, what I learn?


So right now I'm thinking:
1) Get a hold of a few bits of equipment (electric kit, screwdriver)
2) Get to the food storage (Stealth? Holdout? Fast Talk?)
3) Remove the deflectors from nearby sprinklers (i.e. the part that makes it sprinkle) [Climbing + Traps?]
4) Rig up electrical wiring to start a fire near the flour with a H2 block when the lights go on [Traps]
5) Repeat step 2-4 for the other two flour stores.
6) After the final store, place the tools used near the H2 block so they are destroyed beyond recognition.

I think I still need to make sure no sprinklers are directly above the flour. Probably need to make sure it can all be done fast enough before the first fire breaks out and any alarm is raised.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:47 AM   #96
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
What's for lunch? Day figures it would be risky to try to use Suggestion on all the people at his table, so he's going to opt for a distraction. Once he has his meal and is seated, he's going to get back up to get something (a condiment, a napkin, a drink) and look for someone who either he knows has a short temper or looks a bit surly. Touching this person to get by, he's going to Suggest that he or she fight someone else in the mess, picking a likely target if he's become aware of any animosities.
Lunch is pasteries wrapped around fish in a thick savory cream sauce. You want to get rid of the bread.

People have been with their buddies for a few days now, and the "bad pairings" are beginning to show up. Daymar targets one of these pairings on his way back from getting food.

The results are as expected: a fight breaks out, and all eyes are on it. a little bit of food gets smushed, though nothing like a holly-wood table-flipping food-fight. The two men are hitting and yelling at each other. Some of their fellows try to break things up...

Daymar misses the ending, as he quickly pops the creamy fish out of the contaminated bread filling and eats that, then hides the bread.

One more meal until he's got 90% of his powers back.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:28 AM   #97
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, SF (Mil) is my best so...

OK, what I learn?
Botha is disappointed to find out you want to stretch the rules like that, but not actually surprised. She says her main reaction to you go missing would be to go looking around for you and locate you. She seems reluctant to actually report you, but if you're gone for an hour or something she will, and if you are blatant about getting separated (trying to outrun her) she will. She makes some fairly generous offers to follow you where you want to go at night.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #98
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Day is starting to feel good about things, with his powers returning. During the afternoon, he asks Pothi, "should we aim to visit another mess this evening?"

How close are we to the rendezvous?
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #99
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day is starting to feel good about things, with his powers returning. During the afternoon, he asks Pothi, "should we aim to visit another mess this evening?"
"You mean with our friends on the shield crew*? You heard about the Pooka-Pooka? I suppose you've got to eat it at least once. I grew up on Korjakor. Those things are a lot scarier when you see them in the wild. This one time..."

Pothi launches into a story about suddenly coming upon an enourmous insectiod creature when he was 10 years old, with the 20 legs and 6 inch body of a pooka pooka. They can be deadly if they sting you, and Pothi has at least half a dozen stories about growing up on the same world as the things, of which half seem to from childhood friends rather than himself.

The sheild crews cook appears to have deep fried a few. They're generally eaten as a token of fortitude and grit.

* you actually see these people more than the people you eat with, at least during the course of the day

Quote:
How close are we to the rendezvous?
The first of the three rendevous is tonight (tuesday) at 2 am. its important to make at least two.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #100
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Botha is disappointed to find out you want to stretch the rules like that, but not actually surprised.
Can't imagine why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
an hour
That would be pretty tight... Figuring each step as the same amount of time, that would give each step about 5 minutes. Probably need twice as much time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
She makes some fairly generous offers to follow you where you want to go at night.
Hm. Would it be possible to befriend someone to provide pretext for why I'm up there without a buddy? Or perhaps end up in the general area and slip away once or twice to rig things up?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.