Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #21
Gary N. Mengle

Default Re: Birthright to Gurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thona
You know, I wen thrpough the link again, reading all the reviews. Looks like I have to get another two set of domain management rúles. FIelds of Blood looks like it made some things proper.
I had all three of these (S&D, Empire and Fields of Blood) and FoB was the only one to survive the collection purge of the last couple of years. Aside from one bug, it's an excellent ruleset.

Sadly, that one bug - the impractically small size of provinces - makes it impossible to manage a reasonably-sized medieval kingdom (say the size of Ireland.) And because it impacts troop movement rates, and therefore turn lengths, it means you have to almost retool the entire system to fix it.

It also makes it impossible to drop Cerilia right into those rules.

However, the problem is fixable - by desgning a setting scaled to fit. That's how I fixed it.

Quote:
That could be a very nice addition to the GURPS line in general :-)
Yes. Yes, it would. It's the one kind of game that GURPS has never even tried to support, which is too bad - we had loads of fun with Birthright back in the day, even though we were saddled with the (IMO wretched) AD&D2 system.
Gary N. Mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:11 AM   #22
Rasmus Wagner

Here's a challenging aspect of the Birthright rules: Regency points. You accumulate regency points by being bound to the land, controlling Sources or Temples, or Law or Guild holdings. The larger your domain, the more powerful your blood needs to be in order to collect all the regency.

You can hoard regency points. They represent a real, supernatural power. They can enhance your own bloodline. They can influence domain actions. They can let you march your soldiers for days. They can power massive spells.

One thing I absolutely will not do, is create a "bloodline" stat on the same scale as the AD&D rules. So, any ideas?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #23
Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
But something like this with the typical attention to detail of GURPS products would rock.
I would buy such a book, no doubt.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:41 AM   #24
thona
Banned

Regency Points sort of sound like - well - CP to me. With some limitation on what to make with them.
thona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:49 AM   #25
Nick_Greyden

Gah SJ help us lol.

Lot of info here. To be honest in my current conversion I hadn't gotten to regency points yet. My main focus so far has been Bloodlines, there powers, and how to use "turns" for domains. Regency was on the back burner and the burner wasn't even on lmao. Currently running into some balanceing issues with points and powers.

Also on the back burner, but lit, was the Law/Guild holdings of each place as well as the as well as the Civil/Sources of each domain and how they would affect a domain.

Still would like to get in touch with you Rasmus. Send me a PM with some contact info if you don't mind to go over some stuff.
Nick_Greyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:22 AM   #26
Jürgen Hubert

I'm interested in seeing what "Mandate of Heaven", the kingdom rules for Exalted will look like. Allegedly, you can write up the stats for the Realm, the largest empire in the world, in less than five minutes.

I'll probably get it sometime next week...
Old 03-19-2006, 05:25 AM   #27
thona
Banned

The whole bloodline thing is something I care relatively little about. That is mostly background based :-)

But good realm rules, together with a background that also facilitates adventures would really rock.

Regarding "Mandate of heaven" - I would be carefull. I mean, the largest empire in the world in 5 mionutes is VERY abstract per definition. I would expect that to take at least as much time as a gurps character.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #28
Gary N. Mengle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
I'm interested in seeing what "Mandate of Heaven", the kingdom rules for Exalted will look like. Allegedly, you can write up the stats for the Realm, the largest empire in the world, in less than five minutes.

I'll probably get it sometime next week...
Is that a new product?
Gary N. Mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #29
thona
Banned

Just got Fields of Blood :-) my local shop had it.

I am seriously impressed. Things are a little simplistic (resource points), but given that the system should be playable without a computer, this is about as good as it should be :-) It is inherently simpler than Empire and Strongholds anyd Dynasties, but it looks a LOT better crafted in general. A LOT better thought out.

Really, I sort of like it. It still has no mechanism for different power-systems standing side by side (like the different realmy in birthright), but that was very unique. I liked the consequences, though, that a claric basically played "his own game". Fields of Blood is more classical, oriented mostly on the political hierarchy.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:33 AM   #30
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary N. Mengle
Is that a new product?
Yup - it is in the Exalted Storyteller's Companion, which comes out this week together with Exalted 2E.

Tags
kingdoms, mass combat