Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Giant Cestus Damage

ITL 78: "Giants usually fight with clubs and without armor. On occasion, too, they fight with swords or axes, or with great cesti strapped to their hands (see p. 122)."

ITL 122: "When a fighter uses a dagger or cestus in HTH combat ..."

ITL 113: "A single cestus is treated exactly like a main-gauche ..."

ITL 126: "Trampling"

The Giant isn't in HTH with Eric the Emaciated? So the Cestus damage is the 1d-1 of the main-gauche in regular combat and not the 1d+6 of a (ST 30) main-gauche in HTH?
Old 06-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Giant Cestus Damage

Yeah, 1d-1, if it's even allowed to do a cestus attack as a giant against some smaller figure lying down in your own hex, without entering HTH.

I'd instead tend to have the giant do a melee kick attack, as that seems more certainly to be in reach of a groveling puny humanoid, and it would do ST-based unarmed attack damage.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
TippetsTX

Further illustration of the problem in applying human-size weapons and damage ratios to 'huge' figures.

'Great cesti' should probably have unique stats.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Further illustration of the problem in applying human-size weapons and damage ratios to 'huge' figures.

'Great cesti' should probably have unique stats.
Agreed. Given that a giant's club does damage off the charts (I can't reconcile it to the info for clubs on ITL 122), a giant cestus should certainly do a heap of damage.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
hcobb

Here's my suggested fix:

Great Cestus: For every 10 full base ST rating of this weapon it does 1d damage, costs $20 and weighs 2 pounds. It does an additional point of damage per die in HTH. So the ST 30 Great Cestus does 3d damage (3d+3 in HTH), costs $60 and weighs 6 pounds.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #6
larsdangly

I don't understand what you guys are talking about. The cestus does damage by ST, which should be 1d+6 for a ST 30 giant, and there is no indication that it can only be used in HTH; why would you have it do 1d-1 when attacking an adjacent figure?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
TippetsTX

Well, Henry is clearly taking the following text too literally... "A single cestus is treated exactly like a main-gauche". That phrase definitely should not be interpreted to include damage.

My issue is that while I agree that 1d+6 is respectable damage (7-12 points) for such a simple weapon, it does bug me a bit that cestus sized for a human hand and one for a creature at least twice as big still have the same +3 damage adjustment.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
hcobb

TFT ST and damage are quadratic.

ST 13 is 69% "greater" than ST 10
ST 33 is 21% "greater" than ST 30

And so on.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
Axly Suregrip

The weapon table (ITL page 110) lists cestus damage as "By ST" and "Damage depends on ST". This to me means the HTH chart damage is always used with a cestus whether in HTH or not. The line about being like a Main Gauche is about how to handle DX penalties and other aspects.

In non-HTH the cestus fists should do more damage what the naked fists would do. So, to me the cestus giant does 1+6 in and out of HTH.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
The weapon table (ITL page 110) lists cestus damage as "By ST" and "Damage depends on ST". This to me means the HTH chart damage is always used with a cestus whether in HTH or not. The line about being like a Main Gauche is about how to handle DX penalties and other aspects.

In non-HTH the cestus fists should do more damage what the naked fists would do. So, to me the cestus giant does 1+6 in and out of HTH.
Yeah, despite my initial comment, that's how I have done it, too.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote