Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #81
t@nya

Default Re: [IC] Wear a Badge, Carry a Gun

Penny is happy to meet the people she will be working with, with more peripherally than the members of her immediate team, and she pays careful as each person introduces him- or herself.

Jaeger Bowen makes her feel a little uneasy. She doesn't like his reason for joining up. It seems a little too frivolous to her. She's also made slightly uneasy by his lack of expression and odd smile, though she does her best to hide that. He certainly doesn't more prejudice after what happened to him before.

Compair interests her, as a follow native of Bonanza, but worries that Compair may harbour (understandable) resentment towards the upper-class families of that planet, so she decides to not emphasise that when dealing with the woman.

She feels respect for I'Anson, for turning State's evidence and not participating in a cover up, and she doesn't bother to hide this. It's obvious he must have received many a snub and cold shoulder during this previous duties, and she feels it necessary to show not everyone is cut from the same cloth.

As warp proceeds, Penny winces as the miserable physical sensations waft over her, happy that she doesn't have anything in her stomach.

Later on, at dinner, feeling recovered, she eats well, engaging her fellow diners in conversation. She is particularly interested in conversing with the people from Rohan, her new posting.

How on Earth using a phrase still around, even with Earth gone, do they combat crime when they wear masks all the time?

Despite all her studies, she can't help but picture someone mugging somebody else and nicking their mask, thereby stealing their identity.

When Bear makes his toast at the end of the dinner, she raises her own glass in reply.

Last edited by t@nya; 12-22-2008 at 08:36 PM.
t@nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #82
ladyarcana55

Default Re: An ancient and honorable toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell
To absent friends.
Kiloni (Raising her glass)
To absent friends!
Since tonights dinner is a casual affair, she is wearing a nice summer dress. Simple enough to still count as casual wear, but nice enough to show an effort.

Inwardly, Kiloni is saddened that no one is from "her neck of the woods". But she is eager for the chance to meet new people and learn about new places. She listens in rapt attention as each person speaks, not really saying anything unless spoken to directly. Her manners are impeccable and she radiates a feeling of warmth and friendship. She has her meal, which consists of a balanced diet, a glass of water, and a small glass of wine.

She speaks to everyone with an equal amount of eagerness, she must be somewhat accustomed to travel because she does not miss a beat when the announcements come. She has a small jar of loose leaf tea. She orders a cup of hot water and mixes herself a cup of tea sweetened with syrup and drops in a piece of candied ginger. She moves over to Hart and offers him the tea.

Kiloni (Offering him the tea)
This is a traveller's secret weapon against motion sickness. Here, drink this. I promise you'll feel so much better in no time.
When Hart drinks it, he gets a whiff of mint. The tea is a little sweet and very soothing. With the first smell of the mint and ginger he could already feel his stomach begin to settle. By the time he is halfway done with the tea, he is feeling very much like his usual self.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #83
Icelander

Default [Hart] End of Saturday, January the 5th on the liner Strathaden

Hart takes the tea from Kiloni and tastes it gingerly. He smiles at her fondly.

Hart (to Kiloni)
Thank you, Doctor. Your medicine is markedly better tasting than what our medics tended to feed us.
Kiloni pats him on the shoulder and gives him a reassuring smile.

Kiloni

Just let me know if you need any more. I'll give you some and show you how to make the tea. It's really simple and really effective.
Her doctor's etiquette is as impeccable as her social etiquette. She is discreet and her warmth shines through.

Hart (to Kiloni)
You're too kind, Dr. Queldrona. Much too kind.
Feeling much fortified, Hart announces to his team at the end of the meal that they’ll meet at 1000 hours Zulu in the morning and continue with ten o’ clock meetings daily unless something conflicts with it. Tomorrow will be dedicated to Ms. Queldrona’s mask designs, but others will also give a status report of their assignments and receive new ones if they have nothing to occupy their time.

Hart then informs the other ICfJ personnel that his team will be trying to prepare as well as possible for the posting during the liner trip and that anyone who is interested is free to show up at the meeting in the morning. After this he goes for a walk to find the workout facilities, making a point of discovering the least used and trying to assess a time (if necessary by asking a crewmember) for when they’d see little traffic.

Having come up with a time he intends to wake, Hart turns in early. He’ll wake up in the wee hours to try to get in an undisturbed morning routine in the gym and refresher and then use the morning to work on familiarising himself with the most important of the data collected by Penny Drake.

Last edited by Icelander; 12-22-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #84
Icelander

Default A team meeting on the morning of the 6th, Sunday

Hart is at the meeting early and configures the scenescape and seating.

He'll warmly greet any of the ICfJ staff that decide to show up and ask them to sit down and relax, they'll start momentarily.

After pleasantries are exchanged and the necessary business outlined, Hart hands control over to Kiloni.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #85
ladyarcana55

In the morning meeting, Kiloni has her tea, some sliced fruit and her notes and sketches. With her is her ever present smile.

Kiloni
I was thinking about some of the suggestions you had, Hart, and I had a few concerns. I don't like the half-and-half colored masks because they make me think of the Comedy and Tragedy masks. Though I am pretty sure we will find ample amounts of both during this tenure, I would hope we won't be the ones providing them, especially the comedy. I also don't like the thought of a badge on the mask itself, it makes me feel as though we have been branded. Moo. And no animatronics. We want them to listen to us, not be entertained or distracted by our masks. So...
Kiloni brings out several sketches...

Kiloni
I agree that we probably should have the colors cream and maroon. And I know that you were talking about a symbol of sorts. Well, in ancient mythologies, members of the cat family represented concepts such as Independence, Leadership, Spiritual Exertion, Fierceness, Leadership, Justice and Courage. All traits that I know this team has.
She pauses a moment to sip her tea and continues

Kiloni
I didn't want to focus on one animal, or any animal for that matter. So I propose a lightly stylized representation. Enough to give the impression of what it represents, but not so much that it becomes our mark. I also thought it would be best to keep with an asexual design, that way the men won't have anything too girly and the ladies won't have anything too masculine. As much as possible I am trying to keep the attention on us as a person rather than on the masks themselves. Let's face it, a mask does not make a person, nor should it.
All of the proposed designs are asexual, and simple. One mask has a stylized upper face of a cat, but it melds into the rest of the mask at the nose. The mask itself is cream and the eyes themselves are maroon. In another version, the mask is its native metallic color but with the red eyes. But they all compliment the colors, design and cut of the uniform. In one drawing there is a sketch of a package of sorts on the back of the mask at the base of the neck. When the question comes up, Kiloni answers...

Kiloni
I am putting the respiratory device there. There is ample space there and it does not interfere with the aesthetics of the piece. My only concern overall, if we keep the cream and maroon color scheme, neither are very subtle colors. If we need to use stealth we may need to consider multiple color schemes.
There is a few moments of silence

Kiloni (with a mischievous smile)
Can you tell I had fun with this project?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #86
Icelander

Hart listens to the briefing with an attentive air, trying to imagine how the masks would look and, most of all, the psychological impact they would have. In the midst of one of Kiloni's explanations, Hart interjects a comment.

Kiloni
...As much as possible I am trying to keep the attention on us as a person rather than on the masks themselves. Let's face it, a mask does not make a person, nor should it.
Hart (drily)
As far as the Rohanese are concerned, Dr. Queldrona, I'm afraid it does.

We are going to have to keep in mind that our choice in masks is going to define us for them, far more than anything else about us.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #87
ladyarcana55

Default Re: A team meeting on the morning of the 6th, Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
Hart listens to the briefing with an attentive air, trying to imagine how the masks would look and, most of all, the psychological impact they would have. In the midst of one of Kiloni's explanations, Hart interjects a comment.

Kiloni
...As much as possible I am trying to keep the attention on us as a person rather than on the masks themselves. Let's face it, a mask does not make a person, nor should it.
Hart (drily)
As far as the Rohanese are concerned, Dr. Queldrona, I'm afraid it does.

We are going to have to keep in mind that our choice in masks is going to define us for them, far more than anything else about us.
Kiloni
Then that also works for us. If a mask is too severe or 'tough' the people may respond in kind, and if the mask is too 'soft' then people may not take us seriously. At least with a more neutral appearance, they may give us a chance. More than that, we can change our demeanor with little impact. I don't want to commit to one specific 'attitude' when we may need the entire range to be effective. And, one more point that only just occurred to me, if they cannot solidly define us then it gives us an air of unpredictability that can also work on our behalf. It just sounds to me that the mask is an attention-getter. Once we get their attention then it's up to us to maintain it.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #88
Icelander

Hart nods to Kiloni.

Hart
Very true, Doctor.

We do, however, have the option of more than one mask. It is a practical necessary, even. We'll have the outdoors helmets, which will be our daily uniform, and can't help being a bit intimidating, if only because they cover our whole head and not just the face.

And then we'll have a formal mask. Perhaps we ought to go for a mess mask as well?
Hart grins slightly. Evidently this was another of his little jokes.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #89
ladyarcana55

Kiloni laughs

Kiloni
We may as well. I wonder what the out of uniform fun masks look like? Come to think of it, I wonder what the kids wear?
A thought hits her and she starts to really laugh

Kiloni
My mother wanted to send hat stands and I told her not to worry about it because I didn't think I wold have a need for them. I guess I should call her and tell her to go ahead and send them. Goodness, I can see it now. <in a mock maternal voice> "Didn't Mummy tell you? Mmmhmm, that's right I did."
Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #90
Icelander

After Kiloni finishes her briefing, Hart surveys the crowd.

Hart
Fortunately we have what is left of this trip to work on the mask designs. By all means don't hesitate to share any ideas or views you may have with Dr. Queldrona here and if you desire a personal mask that deviates a little from the rest of us while still showing affiliation, I'm sure the Rohanese will appreciate the gesture.

Now, as for other a few other matters. Ms. Drake and Mr. Karapyetchenko are left quite unoccupied. I'm sure boredom no more agrees with them than it does me, so we'll try to find something to occupy our time.
Hart smiles to the other ICfJ personnel.

Hart (to personnel other than deputies)
Now, I'm sure you're all aware that I'm not read in yet and even after I do so, most of you will answer to higher and nobler authorities than a tired old colonial hand. The bailiffs will have an Imperial Judge presiding over them and the legal minds here answer, of course, to Justice itself.

I thought, however, that some of you might like to break up the monotony of travel with the occasional burst of activity. I was considering trying to find a good simulator here and have daily runs in it. Just some light problem-based learning exercises, mainly meant to familiarise our people with one another. Maybe build a little trust.

If some of you are interested, I'd thought to select one person per day that has the duty of preparing an assignment of some sort in the sim. Just an hour or so of some task that we might be called upon to perform on Rohan. The person would give us a briefing of what we should know if this was for real, ideally a day in advance, and then act as the overseer for the ex. We'd then have a meet where we could dissect the after-action report and note what we learned.

Perhaps we could also arrange some shared time in the gym. A few team sports might do wonders for a spirit of shared purpose. Would anyone be interested in that?

Tags
flat black, mysteries, planetary romance, sci-fi, ultra-tech