Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #31
Phantasm

Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

On my wish list:

GURPS Space Opera, in the same vein as GURPS Action, GURPS Monster Hunters, GURPS After the End, and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. Failing that, an official GURPS Psi-Wars Boxed Set!

An update of GURPS IST. Or some other semi-official superhero setting.

An official Bestiary, at the least giving stats for modern megafauna like the hippo and rhino. It can be split up into a Bestiary line, I won't care!

More GURPS presence on the FLGS's store shelves. It's currently zero. (Hell, I didn't even see any GURPS books in the "vintage RPG books" box at the local FLGS, and they had some old Dragon magazines in that box.) Maybe Girl Genius will help with that this time next year(?).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 12-03-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #32
David Johansen

I still want a range of modular 3.25 inch GURPS action figures that can be used to build any character (including toasters and brains in jars) but more importantly can show ready weapons and posture at a glance. See how restrained I am? I didn't even ask for the modular vehicle building construction kit in 3 scales.

In a more reasonable vein, the GURPS Space Opera line does sound nice. The star ship crew pdf is pretty handy

Last edited by David Johansen; 12-04-2020 at 12:28 AM.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:37 AM   #33
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheat View Post
It would be cool to have some fancy new release of the Basic Set with the latest errata. Then I can have rules for Gunslinger and complementary skills on physical paper.
I think that's what you get if you buy a Basic Set printed this year. Seventh Printing has those rules included.

Last edited by johndallman; 12-04-2020 at 04:46 AM.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:16 AM   #34
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
Ok if vehicles is out of the question a Netflix, BBC or HBO series of Banestorm will do... in a pinch.
Wouldn't work. Banestorm has 2 features that differentiate it from standard RPG fantasy worlds. 1) It's a worlds where the crusades never ended, given how the world has changed in the 34 years Banestorm was first conceived, this won't fly today and is why SJG needs to develop a new, better default fantasy setting for GURPS. 2) Healing magic not being the domain of Clerics. This gamer trope isn't even on the radar of most normal folk, so it won't stand out.

Now Technomancer might do better but really for GURPS material to attract that kind of attention you not only need a setting, but also a story to adapt, and GURPS has been rather shy in putting those out there.

If there's something I'd like to see it's SJG pivot away from seeing GURPS as ONLY a toolbox and release a setting or two that really attracts attention and provide it with on going support.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:44 AM   #35
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Wouldn't work. Banestorm has 2 features that differentiate it from standard RPG fantasy worlds. 1) It's a worlds where the crusades never ended, given how the world has changed in the 34 years Banestorm was first conceived, this won't fly today and is why SJG needs to develop a new, better default fantasy setting for GURPS. 2) Healing magic not being the domain of Clerics. This gamer trope isn't even on the radar of most normal folk, so it won't stand out.

Now Technomancer might do better but really for GURPS material to attract that kind of attention you not only need a setting, but also a story to adapt, and GURPS has been rather shy in putting those out there.

If there's something I'd like to see it's SJG pivot away from seeing GURPS as ONLY a toolbox and release a setting or two that really attracts attention and provide it with on going support.
Well, that and basically being a "Isekai", since the Banestorms basically just drop off people from across the multiverse.

Leaning into the actual Banestorms of Banestorm would probably be the way to go for making a TV series.

Heck you could pretty much throw in some version of the GURPS Sample characters (Dan Blackthrorn, etc.) and the plot practically writes itself. ...it will be a rather bizarre plot with those guys though, which may or may not be what you want.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #36
Anders

I think that if you want to go with a GURPS property for TV I would go with Cyberworld. Yeah, the timeline would have to be updated but the general idea has legs. Or maybe the Mad Lands. Or IST. There's plenty of things to use.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:05 AM   #37
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
GURPS Asparagus
*roflsnort*

<insert Steve Rogers "I got that reference" gif>

For a 35th anniversary, the *obvious* thing would be a Power Ups full of 35 point abilities.

Otherwise, I'll just echo my previous wish for a Action/MH/AtE-style treatment of cyberpunk, and an Inventions and Gadgeteering book.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #38
Michael Cule

I want an improved GCA (one that makes designing your own settings and templates for the program easier and actually documented) and to combine it with support for at least one of the popular virtual tabletops.

I think you could do a BANESTORM tv series if you set it in Tredroy and made it clear that to the protagonists 'Crusader' is a synonym for 'dangerous idiot'.

If it were ever to happen I'd like to audition.

More believably I want a series of books about the nations of Yrth bringing them up to date and providing at least one adventure set in each one.

I'm looking forward to GIRL GENIUS but more in a 'how the hell are they going to do that' way.

I have no use whatever for VEHICLES.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:32 AM   #39
AlexanderHowl

If you were going for a TV series, I would go for an Infinite Worlds setting where you have Cold World style conflicts between Homeline and Centrum, with Reich-5 and the Cabal thrown in for good measure. You could have the first season involving a Homeline versus Centrum arc, a second season involving a Homeline versus Reich-5 arc, a third season involving a Homeline versus the Cabal arc, a fourth season going back to the Homeline versus Reich-5 arc, and a fifth season going back to the Homeline versus Centrum arc. It would be a mix of Sliders, Stargate, and Supernatural, with a dash of Angel, Buffy, and Sabrina added in.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:54 AM   #40
Anders

A Girl Genius TV series would be a fun experience. And it's kind of GURPS.

Tags
anniversary, gurps