Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default East Asian RPM [Thaumatology/RPM]

I was thinking about making an East Asian RPM system built around the I-Ching. Since the I-Ching possesses 64 hexagrams based off paired trigrams, I was thinking that each of the 8 trigrams could function as a Path and an effect. For example, Li would be the Path of Energy and the effect of Creation while Ken would be the Path of Body and the effect of Sense.

In order to balance that fact that there would only be 8 Paths rather than 9 Paths, I was thinking that Paths could not exceed the lesser of Ritual Magic (Taoist) or Thaumatology (Toaist). Ritual Magic would be used for normal effects while Thaumatology would be used for conditional effects. In order to make it more interesting, conditional effects would use the higher of Thaumatology or the Path while normal effects would use the lower of Ritual Magic or the Path. Alchemy (Taoist) would provide its own pool of conditional effects for its potions, using the greater of Alchemy or the Path to create potions.

Does anyone have such a system that they would be willing to share? If so, how did you address the difference in the number of Paths? If not, what suggestions would you have to make the system balanced?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: East Asian RPM [Thaumatology/RPM]

Nothing from me. I tried a stab at the I-Ching for a few systems but never got t to be playable. For something based on a binary concept its pretty complex and subtle.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Yes, I agree, though it is technically base-8 because the base-2 system is not meaningful except possibly as a coding for the type of chi. In the base-2 system, the unbroken line could possibly represent Yin Chi and broken line could possibly represent Yang Chi. For example, the trigram for Heaven is triple Yin while the trigram for Earth is triple Yang, so the hexagram for Force (which includes two Heavens) is a sextuple Yin while the hexagram for Field (which includes two Earths) is a sextuple Yang.

Of course, it the system that I outlined, the Paths and the effects are both trigrams, meaning that each combination is a hexagram. Perhaps the balancing issues could be address by requiring each ritual to involve a minimum of a single hexagram, with the effective skill in a hexagram being equal to the practitioner's skill in the lower of the component trigrams. For example, an individual trying a Sense Energy ritual would use the lesser of their skill in Li or Ken.

That way, we could toss out the idea of each practitioner using two Core Skills for balance. Confucian magicians could use Thaumatology, Book, and Alchemy while Taoist magicians could use Ritual Magic, Paths, and Herb Lore. Thus, the two principle East Asian philosophies use two different types of magic, even if they share the trigrams and hexagrams in common.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post

Of course, it the system that I outlined, the Paths and the effects are both trigrams, meaning that each combination is a hexagram. Perhaps the balancing issues could be address by requiring each ritual to involve a minimum of a single hexagram, with the effective skill in a hexagram being equal to the practitioner's skill in the lower of the component trigrams. For example, an individual trying a Sense Energy ritual would use the lesser of their skill in Li or Ken.
That could work. I tried it as Books or Paths for each Hexagram but that was simply too many and I doubt anyone would bother with 64 separate skills.
Also tried as individual lines with heavy penalties but found that too complicated and time consuming at the table.
I think I tried it as 8 trigrams but by that time was pretty worn out on the concept and set it aside for my Symbol Drawing system.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote