Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #51
Proteus

Default Re: The 2020 Digital W23 Speculation and Discussion Thread

Time for some off-the-wall speculation about upcoming titles!

What's Christopher Rice up to? He has such delicious code-names....

The Dungeon Fantasy: Denizens title formerly known as "Marl Ankh-3": well, "marl" is a term for a rock or color of mixed black and white, and an ankh is a holy symbol, so I’m going to guess that the book covers Holy and Unholy Warriors together, though that doesn’t explain the anomalous "3." Maybe because it'd be the third Denizens book?

"Knight-3": No idea. The number could suggest an Infinite Worlds timeline, except that we see numbers so often elsewhere in Chris' codenames, like "SNO-51" or "Marl Ankh-3". Is there another sub-line for which this would be the third volume?

"Uptight Calimari": A DF volume about Elder Spawn? A Monster Hunters addendum with rules and suggestions for cosmic horror?

"Horsemen": the Biblical Revelations association is awfully tempting: perhaps an After the End volume about religious apocalypse?

And what about David Pulver?

It's been ages since Kromm dropped a mention of David's ongoing work on "Redacted, Vol. 1" and Vol. 2. I wonder whether it's the long-awaited Vehicle Design System, split into two pieces. One with basic rules for ground vehicles and watercraft, and another for aircraft, multi-medium vehicles, and weird tech? My other thought is a two-volume set on mecha, perhaps with one book for campaigns and characters and another for mecha design and combat.

And Bill Stoddard?

He’s stated of his latest that "in a way, this is a followup to a previous project, applying some of its content to a specific topic. And unlike several preceding books, it has a fairly large bibliography.” To me, that says an adaptation of a (probably public-domain) book series. He also had the "need to insert a few cross references to an older GURPS book that covers some related ground." That could be just about anything, alas.

Part of me really wants it to be GURPS: Oz, to go with the Munchkin sets; and would the original art for that be public-domain, too? Another wonders whether it'll be another "sword and planet" adaptation of some pulp series, harkening back to GURPS: Planet Krishna. But who knows?
Old 04-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #52
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
What's Christopher Rice up to? He has such delicious code-names....
Heh. My codenames usually have to directly do with the subject matter but I'm very fond of anagrams . . .

Quote:
The Dungeon Fantasy: Denizens title formerly known as "Marl Ankh-3": well, "marl" is a term for a rock or color of mixed black and white, and an ankh is a holy symbol, so I’m going to guess that the book covers Holy and Unholy Warriors together, though that doesn’t explain the anomalous "3." Maybe because it'd be the third Denizens book?
Cold. Nice guess though.

Quote:
"Knight-3": No idea. The number could suggest an Infinite Worlds timeline, except that we see numbers so often elsewhere in Chris' codenames, like "SNO-51" or "Marl Ankh-3". Is there another sub-line for which this would be the third volume?
Cold. It's one of my favorite movies and originally referenced the number of parts of the book - which changed during the writing.

Quote:
"Uptight Calimari": A DF volume about Elder Spawn? A Monster Hunters addendum with rules and suggestions for cosmic horror?
Cold. Hint: Something I write about frequently.

Quote:
"Horsemen": the Biblical Revelations association is awfully tempting: perhaps an After the End volume about religious apocalypse?
Colder.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #53
Proteus

Anagrams? Ha! Then clearly "Uptight Calimari" is...

"Piratical Might U.", about an island school that teaches Seadog Sorcery. Or...

"Traumatic Pig Hil(l)", a sequel to SJ Games' long-forgotten White Wolf pastiche Hampire: The Masked Ace Raid. Or...

"Upti, Thai Camgirl" about, well, never mind. Or...

"I Pi Magical Truth", about using sacred geometry in RPM.

Or not.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #54
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
It's been ages since Kromm dropped a mention of David's ongoing work on "Redacted, Vol. 1" and Vol. 2. I wonder whether it's the long-awaited Vehicle Design System, split into two pieces.
Just going to dash these speculations right now before they fester into hope: no. That book is (still) making glacial progress with no calving in sight.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 04-12-2020 at 08:21 AM. Reason: "room"? why did I type "room"?
Old 04-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #55
whswhs

Just to note that I'll be ready for the playtest as soon as I have functioning broadband. I'm hoping that will be soon; the past week of dealing with AT&T has been really stressful.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #56
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Just to note that I'll be ready for the playtest as soon as I have functioning broadband. I'm hoping that will be soon; the past week of dealing with AT&T has been really stressful.
Glad to hear you've completed the trip and initial phase of your move!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 04-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #57
Rasputin

Today we have more GURPS Deadlands:

GURPS Classic: Deadlands Dime Novel 2 – Wanted: Undead or Alive
GURPS Classic: Deadlands – Hexes
GURPS Classic: Deadlands – Varmints

My GURPS blog.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #58
prospero

See Dr. Kromm's honest, informative, and heartfelt discussion of the long-hoped-for 4E Vehicles on page 8 of this thread. Excerpts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Pulling either of us off "all other projects" for this one would mean sidelining the dozens of shorter items we could write, edit, and lay out in the interim, almost all of which would earn more $ per page than Vehicle Design unless we charged $80+ for that product in softback, and which would collectively earn much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
... it would be an extreme drain on resources we cannot afford when we have all the rest of GURPS to run. We have no guarantee that any one supplement will sell – irrespective of Internet demand – but we feel 100% comfortable saying that all other supplements of all other types in all other genres will, collectively, pay the bills. That's the tradeoff.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #59
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Glad to hear you've completed the trip and initial phase of your move!
Thanks! It's been an adventure, but we survived. Now I really want to get back to work.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #60
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

And what about David Pulver?

As far as I know:
* I have two GURPS projects that were delayed while I worked on TFT projects and because of ongoing health issues that slowed my writing. They're partly written and first drafts may be finished later this year.

* Ongoing TFT projects announced by SJ Games that I wrote are Red Crypt (solo horor adventure now on Kickstarter), Ardonirane (72-page city book), and T'Reo School of Martial Magic (64-page TFT setting). I think there's another adventure that is written but whose title has yet to be announced.

* Vehicle Design is delayed for some of the reasons Kromm has indicated, e.g., production staff limitations. Playtesters who reviewed the final draft before it was submitted seem quite happy with the current book; some of them continue to send me their vehicle and weapon designs. I'm grateful for the many people who supported me on the project.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 04-14-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Closed Thread