Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #111
Proteus

Default Re: The 2020 Digital W23 Speculation and Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
MH: Rank LA?
It’s a campaign setting!

PCs are sanitation workers in the USA's second-largest city. They gradually become aware of Dark (and Stinky) Forces that menace not only their own livelihoods in garbage collection, restaurant waste inspection, and sewer maintenance, but also the safety of the entire metroplex.

Giant White Sewer Alligators will, of course, take up half the book. And the climactic battle will take place on an ice rink, between one of those and the PCs on a hijacked Zamboni.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #112
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
But that’s certainly not true of either Cold Shard Mountains or Vehicles: Transports of Fantasy, which are the only occupants of that section, and are both Steve Jackson Games products.
The Published section has been part of the code for years and was there before I took over. I declined to post it in the beginning but added it to showcase the kickstarter stuff as they were published through different channels and not showing up on W23 for quite some time after being sent to backers, if ever.
Then Gaming Ballistic got its licence and we added third party distribution categories. I also feel that having the list is a bonus for those looking at prior years to see what and how many supplements were published.
It winds up taking me less than a minute to post (copy/paste) from the category outputed by Rogers program, so I feel is useful enough compared to the effort and time taken.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #113
Refplace

Lot of stuff had art approved. Hard to say what so I probably wnt update individual status items.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #114
johndallman
Night Watchman

I wonder why a lot of short GURPS supplements by different authors are being prepared as a batch? An obvious possibility is that they are stretch goals for a Kickstarter project, but I have no idea what the core of that project might be.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #115
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I wonder why a lot of short GURPS supplements by different authors are being prepared as a batch? An obvious possibility is that they are stretch goals for a Kickstarter project, but I have no idea what the core of that project might be.
I think its more a side effect of Covid.
A lot of the office was out of the office and not all work could be done from home. I think that art and layout simply got backed up and since they were several short items Nikki was able to knock themut pretty quickly once she was in the office.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #116
Proteus

Actually, I'm almost sure I remember a mention at the recent FnordCon of plans specifically for a Kickstarter of a dozen or so short GURPS supplements.

I'll be interested to see whether they let backers do lower-level pledges and pick rewards a-la-carte (instant market research!) or whether everyone will have to go all-in so that the more popular titles subsidize the more "niche-interest" ones.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #117
Refplace

Quote:
Actually, I'm almost sure I remember a mention at the recent FnordCon of plans specifically for a Kickstarter of a dozen or so short GURPS supplements.
Might be the case with the Game Aid items, especially since one is slated for physical publishing from the sound of it. But I highly doubt that is intended for any of the freelancer items.
We haven't hear anything on David Pulver's two GURPS items in a long time either, so maybe those?
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-14-2020, 02:49 AM   #118
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think that art and layout simply got backed up and since they were several short items Nikki was able to knock them out pretty quickly once she was in the office.
Err, Nikki lives near Indianapolis, so I'm pretty sure she doesn't commute to Austin.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #119
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
But I highly doubt that is intended for any of the freelancer items.
It is of note that they're using only tried-and-true freelancers, alongside a lot (5 of 12?) of Kromm.

Making a few assumptions, I count this even dozen: two Action titles (by Fisher and Punch); a Boardroom and Curia supplement (by Steven Marsh?); four Dungeon Fantasy pieces (by dell'Orto, Punch, Punch, and Riggsby); a Hot Spot (by Riggsby); a Magic treatise (by Punch); a Monster Hunters manual (by Rice: is it "Knight-3"?); a Steampunk contrivance (by Masters); and Template Toolkit 3 (by Punch).

I’d snap those all up in a heartbeat. And they look like a pretty good spread of the generally described mental "market share" for GURPS as a whole.

But why Kickstarter, if they’re already sinking the costs for writing, layout, and production? Does Kickstarter offer wider "advertising" exposure than a simple W23 release? Or will lower pledge levels allow a straightforward bit of "market research" to see what people will actually buy?
Old 06-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #120
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
But why Kickstarter, if they’re already sinking the costs for writing, layout, and production? Does Kickstarter offer wider "advertising" exposure than a simple W23 release? Or will lower pledge levels allow a straightforward bit of "market research" to see what people will actually buy?
My impression is that Kickstarter offers the opportunity to do it all at once. Also, my experience is that "words" (writing, editing) are 35-40% of the PDF cost, where "art" which includes graphic arts, layout, maps, interior and cover illustrations is more like 60-65%. So "words" lets you know how much "art" you need, as there will be tables, broken paragraphs, and other things that might need either filler art (pretty inexpensive if you can find it stock, and you usually can) or custom illustrations. That's where the big expenses lie.
Closed Thread