Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #41
Kale

Default Re: How hard is orbital bombardment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
No, it really doesn't. I'm not sure that the target zone would become charged, but if even if it did, the forces involved wouldn't overcome the Earth's gravity.
But the rocks were made of handwavium!
I'm pretty sure it was put in to obey the 'rule of cool', but somebody might also have thought about a particle bolt being charged. Or they figured it would warp reality somewhat. The Psi powers seemed to tend to do that.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #42
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
I'm pretty sure it was put in to obey the 'rule of cool', but somebody might also have thought about a particle bolt being charged. Or they figured it would warp reality somewhat. The Psi powers seemed to tend to do that.
In anime, an area with high active power density always results in stuff floating - rocks, hair, etc. Ever seen Dragon Ball Z? It's just one of those anime physics things - right next to "constant thrust = constant velocity in space," "the human body contains at least 9 gallons of blood under high pressure," "blades make perfectly clean cuts," and of course "evil has a higher wavelength than good, thus it results in a red aura as opposed to good's blue" (humorously enough, this one is actually something of a plot point in a setting/story I may eventually write).
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #43
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
True. It's not just that particular scenario, it's a common SFnal trope to present societies that have anomalous energy sources, out of scale with what the society looks like. To a degree that's probably inevitable, but it gets really glaring for societies with common relativistic travel.

For a classic (and extreme) example of this sort of scale issue, see 'Doc' Smith's Lensman space operas.
Not sure what you mean but as to near-C rocks they'd be no threat in Lensman because the Patrol has long range FTL sensors. Living beings have to watch them (mostly) but if you sent a near-C rock at Tellus it'd be detected a month or two out and easily destroyed or diverted.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #44
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Past a certain point it makes it irrelevant, though. A largish rock (or anything else) moving at very near c has so much energy that disruption in the upper atmosphere doesn't help much, the energy still gets dumped into the biosphere and has its effect.
But then targeting is not an issue you are just busting the planet.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Is the SOL Cannon supposed to be Psi-tech?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #46
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Is the SOL Cannon supposed to be Psi-tech?
Akira mostly had cyberpunk tech with no Psi involved. That said, they had gear that could detect Akira's rising power, so they did have some tech that could interact with Psi. I think the SOL Cannon was supposed to be regular ultra tech. I agree with SuedodeuS though; I think it was just one of those anime tropes they threw in.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #47
BlackLiger

Isn't a MIRV technically orbital bombardment anyway? Since it's mounted on an ICBM which skims the top of the atmosphere and potentially leaves it for a short period, it enters orbit. As such, it fires it's secondaries, resulting in the mutiple warheads, resulting in it being bombardment from orbit. :P
Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #48
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLiger View Post
Isn't a MIRV technically orbital bombardment anyway? Since it's mounted on an ICBM which skims the top of the atmosphere and potentially leaves it for a short period, it enters orbit. As such, it fires it's secondaries, resulting in the mutiple warheads, resulting in it being bombardment from orbit. :P
The MIRV travels at a lower altitude; it's just skimming the upper atmosphere.
The kind of bombardment we're talking about is launched from something in a stable orbit, like a warship or satellite.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #49
teviet

MIRVs are very different from the kinetic bombs considered here, since they get almost all their destructive energy from the nuclear warhead. For kinetic projectiles from low Earth orbit, the terminal energies are at most about 8 times that of a similar mass of high explosive. For H-bombs, it's more like a few million times.

TeV
teviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #50
Dangerious P. Cats

I really like the idea of dropping guided telegraph pole sized rods from orbit, it fits nicely with the sorts of sci fi settings I tend to build and it has the added bonus of having a large number of non-combustable munitions in you ship which reduces the number of weak point that a lucky hit could destroy. The one thing I need explaining is why such munitions won't burn up when colliding with the atmosphere? Asteroids tend to do this when they hit earth atmosphere, even those as large as texas.
Dangerious P. Cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in space, orbital bombardment, planetary siege, space warfare, spaceship