Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
tmedwards

Default Re: The GCA Repository (GCA file archive)

Mostly just for my own curiosity:
As has already been pointed out, just clicking search will yield all packages for you, is the "Search with no terms specified to browse all packages" note that poorly placed?

Now, on to the real reply:
My hope at the time was that the database would become large enough to make searching the obvious choice of interface, and yes I was apparently being very overly optimistic. Regardless, I'm not going to have two separate interfaces to the database, that is the path of madness, so we're sticking with the search page, although it seems that some tweaks may be in order.

What if I were to invert the search, so to speak, and make it sort of a filter instead. The default view of the database would be an unfiltered listing of the entire database, the same as if you entered an empty search now. You could then use the search/filter controls to narrow that list, if needed. I assume that would be an acceptable modification to the interface? (everyone/anyone)

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #22
ClayDowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards
As has already been pointed out, just clicking search will yield all packages for you, is the "Search with no terms specified to browse all packages" note that poorly placed?
Yes, it's that poorly placed. The fact that you put it there at all is the problem. The fact that you need it is the root of the problem.

Quote:
What if I were to invert the search, so to speak, and make it sort of a filter instead. The default view of the database would be an unfiltered listing of the entire database, the same as if you entered an empty search now. You could then use the search/filter controls to narrow that list, if needed. I assume that would be an acceptable modification to the interface?
That is the way it definitely should work. In fact I think that until it gets very large (several hundred entries), that's the ideal interface.
ClayDowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #23
tmedwards

I've revised the repository browsing interface a bit. How does that grab everyone?

Old 11-30-2008, 02:23 AM   #24
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
I've revised the repository browsing interface a bit. How does that grab everyone?
I do like it better.

Armin
Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 AM   #25
MeddlingMonk

Quote:
I agree, the new interface is better. Thanks for your hard work!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #26
tmedwards

Another update to the Browse page.

For the most part, it's functionally the same as the previous update, however, I've begun to use jQuery on the site and that was the first page to get some of the love. The visibility of the filter options should be less quirky on page reload, and if you have JavaScript disabled, you'll no longer see the now useless visibility toggle checkbox.

I did add one tiny bit of functionality to the page, however. When the package list is filtered, by any means, you'll see a link in the bottom right corner of the filter options (named "Filter Link"), which exposes the current filter URL for bookmarking, copy/pasting, or whatever else turns you on.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #27
ClayDowling

Nice improvement.
ClayDowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #28
trechriron

Great site and resource!! Thanks for doing this!

Where can I find out about the Stress Points option? It intrigues me...
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #29
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by trechriron
Where can I find out about the Stress Points option? It intrigues me...
Hmm. After looking around a bit.

Game rules: They act somewhat like mental FP. The only concrete game rules I have left are what's in Phoenix, when you show the effects chart for the SP block. Digging them out for you, they are:
Quote:
Effects on this chart are cumulative amongst themselves.

less than 1/3 SP: -1 to Will and self-control rolls.
0 SP or less: -2 to Will and self-control rolls. Make a Will roll vs. nervous breakdown immediately and for every additional loss of SP.
-1xSP or less: Immediately suffer a nervous breakdown.
Sheet support: Only Phoenix directly supports the Stress Points stat with its own block, as far as I know, being that it's an unofficial stat. It was added by request for someone, I forget who at the moment, maybe KoD (Kitty of Doom). You can see the SP block by enabling it in the Phoenix options, under Statistic Options, you may also want to turn on the effects chart, which is just below the other option. Caveat: the SP block will not display if the character does not have the Stress Points stat.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #30
rkbrown419

For anyone interested I recently added a few files. A Cyberpunk data file that allows the user to make custom cyber-ware advantages on the fly (basic cyber-limb is a parent item and add ons are separate advantages), and a set of data files for Gurps Prime Directive the Star Fleet Universe game A.K.A. Classic Star Trek by way of a licensing nightmare.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote