Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-16-2022, 08:51 PM   #1
ravenfish

Default Crash when a parent item is dragged into its list of children

When attempting to drag advantages into a parent item, I accidentally clicked the parent item itself and dragged it into the middle of the list of child advantages. The program froze for a few seconds and then crashed. I presume trying to make a trait the parent of itself led to an infinite loop. Setting the program to refuse to make a trait its own child, rather than trying to do so and crashing, might be worth doing.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Crash when a parent item is dragged into its list of children

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
When attempting to drag advantages into a parent item, I accidentally clicked the parent item itself and dragged it into the middle of the list of child advantages. The program froze for a few seconds and then crashed. I presume trying to make a trait the parent of itself led to an infinite loop. Setting the program to refuse to make a trait its own child, rather than trying to do so and crashing, might be worth doing.
Thanks for reporting this, I will look into it.

There is indeed code to disallow a parent from being made its own child. Perhaps that's not working properly (which seems likely). I'm sure that's annoying, but there is no reason to be rude about it.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
There is indeed code to disallow a parent from being made its own child. Perhaps that's not working properly (which seems likely). I'm sure that's annoying, but there is no reason to be rude about it.
I'm sorry if I was rude. I certainly did not intend to be; I merely thought it would be helpful to report the bug. It is easy enough to work around the problem (indeed, I have used your excellent program for a long time without noticing this problem's existence).

For what it's worth, when assigning an item a parent through the right-click menu, or from "Traits" on the main menu, the item itself does not appear on the list of possible parents, so the checks are clearly working at least to a degree.

Last edited by ravenfish; 11-17-2022 at 02:40 PM.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Thank you. Reporting the bug was absolutely helpful, and I appreciate it. It was your last sentence, especially the "worth doing" bit, that gave me the feeling of rudeness. I apologize if my reading of it was harsher than it was intended.

I have now looked, and yes, there is indeed a problem with the handling of drag-and-drop when it comes to checking the parent/child chain for items.

I'm working to figure out a fix now.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:11 PM   #5
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Thank you. Reporting the bug was absolutely helpful, and I appreciate it. It was your last sentence, especially the "worth doing" bit, that gave me the feeling of rudeness.
I had meant to imply "is a candidate for attention, but I have no way of knowing how much effort it would take to properly resolve and where it should stand on the priorities list compared to other issues of which I may be unaware". I realize, on reflection, that my phrasing could have been better.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:43 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I had meant to imply "is a candidate for attention, but I have no way of knowing how much effort it would take to properly resolve and where it should stand on the priorities list compared to other issues of which I may be unaware". I realize, on reflection, that my phrasing could have been better.
Thanks, I see where you're coming from. We're all good.

I'm working on the issue right now.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:10 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

I think I've fixed it, and made the process more robust. Should be in the next release.