Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #211
PK

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapeno_dude View Post
So if S is Sidekicks, what are J and C?
I'm not ready to give a straight answer, but if you pay careful attention to one of my posts in this very thread, I've sort of already answered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
With that many possible combinations, I doubt anybody will be successful unless we get more hints.
Exactly! This way, y'all won't outsmart me after less than a week like last time. :)

Anyway, like I said, this is more of an interactive leak than anything else. But I'll tell you what -- I promise to call out the first person to guess half of 'em or more right. If no one has by next weekend, I'll drop actual hints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
How about it, RPK? Are any of the template names also used in other books?
That's another fair question. No, there is absolutely no overlap of template names between MH and either DF or Action. (Which was a PITA at times, I'll tell ya.) I made a conscious effort to keep them all distinct.

(And BTW, not speaking to anyone in particular, but some of y'all are coming up with way cooler names than I did. I'm jealous. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #212
griffin

Quote:
MH2 is probably like DF2 and Action! 2. It will have all the good advice for actually running the game. Sure GM's can come up with this themselves, but that's true for the whole concept, really.
OK, the name didn't suggest that to me. I was thinking more one specific mission with perhaps some organization behind it.

Regardless, I'm already sold on the first four of the series.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #213
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
OK, the name didn't suggest that to me. I was thinking more one specific mission with perhaps some organization behind it.
I think the implied mission is "Hunting Monsters", which is probably what you want to run if you are running GURPS Monster Hunters.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #214
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
... each can be used as a standalone supplement, or in specific combinations.
OK, I can see how this could be very useful. I'll be getting all four and using whatever best suits my purpose.

Quote:
The rules for investigation alone are (IMO) some of the best stuff I've come up with -- no more players slamming their heads into the table because they can't figure out the GM's complex plot. Now, they get Deduction Rolls (if they have the right skills) to give their characters a chance of figuring out what's going on, even if the players are lost.
Cool. Looking forward to seeing these rules. I've always done things like this. GURPS is a skill heavy system and it makes no sense not to get full use from the non-combat skills. What's the point of taking Area Knowledge (campaign city), Detective! (or equivalent bunch of skills), Contacts (Street Gang member), Contact (police officer), Contact (Reporter), Streetwise, and Carousing, if it doesn't net you some good clues along the way.

Quote:
(Credit Due: If my investigation rules are good -- and I dare say they are -- it is only because I stood on the shoulders of a giant. Specifically, Kromm's rules for complementary skills, which I realized could be adapted into a full investigation/deduction framework.)

Good. Never re-invent when you can adapt and extend existing rules.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #215
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Quite useful -- at least, for groups using the full equipment list from High-Tech (as opposed to those using only the 12 pages of gear found in MH1). See To Gear or Not to Gear (Monster Hunters 1: Champions, p. 58) for more on using L:MH . . . er, when MH1 comes out, that is. :)
Cool as I have both already and really like MH: Loadouts.

Quote:
Nope, not at all. See my very first post in this thread for more. Trying to cover multiple tech levels would completely kill the point of a "simple, focused, worked example of a genre," which is what Monster Hunters will be. Much like DF, this is a "campaign in a box," which means that a few assumptions have to be made; TL is one of them.
Actually if I read you correctly it definitely is NOT a campaign in a box. That would include an actual setting which as far as I can tell is NOT included in the series so far. I originally thought that the setting was going to be included in "The Mission", but apparently that's a generalized coverage on monster hunting rules. I'm not saying this is bad, it just isn't as stated.

Personally, I'll be going more for higher TL so I'll be using not only High-Tech, but also Ultra-Tech. More cyberpunk setting than modern world. Hopefully the series can handle that. I image some folks like me will want to use this for a GURPS Cyberpunk or Autoduel game (perhaps using some material from Cthulupunk). I'll be pulling stuff from GURPS Cyberpunk, Autoduel, RT Games's CP2020 (mainly the Night City setting - with a minor rename and some major changes) with inspirations from dozens of films, TV series, novels, comics, other RPGs and video games.

That's the beauty of GURPS. Naturally that means a bit more work, but I'll save a lot on not having to create a city from scratch - of course, folks going with modified real world settings have a lot more easily accessible source setting.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #216
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Actually if I read you correctly it definitely is NOT a campaign in a box. That would include an actual setting which as far as I can tell is NOT included in the series so far.
Both DF and Action! include a set TL and no setting. My impression is that you can almost certainly use those series as a model for how MH will be organized.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #217
griffin

Quote:
Both DF and Action! include a set TL and no setting. My impression is that you can almost certainly use those series as a model for how MH will be organized.
I went back and looked at an earlier post and the author states:
Quote:
(It will support multiple settings, though; in fact, MH1 and MH2 will both offer detail for several sample campaigns.)
Still unless there is some pretty significant detail, this definitely still doesn't make MH a "campaign in a box". It would need to offer at least the amount of detail as GURPS Fantasy's "Roma Arcana" - roughly 20+ pages.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #218
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Still unless there is some pretty significant detail, this definitely still doesn't make MH a "campaign in a box". It would need to offer at least the amount of detail as GURPS Fantasy's "Roma Arcana" - roughly 20+ pages.
Neither DF nor Action! contain settings.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #219
nondescript handle

Quote:
That is my impression as well. But that is only further argument that MH will not be a "campaign in a box," because neither DF nor Action was a "campaign in the box."

DF and Action (and most likely MH too) are rule frameworks (bundled with other related goodies such as PC-creation, gear, GM-advice, and so on) custom tailored for a (sub-)genre (but not a specific setting). Nothing more, nothing less.
nondescript handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #220
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescript handle View Post
That is my impression as well. But that is only further argument that MH will not be a "campaign in a box," because neither DF nor Action was a "campaign in the box."
They were to my mind.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters