Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #161
PK

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I know which Andrew that is. I was confused at first because he wasn't in TM but then I realized what Kromm meant by "former" crew (and you gave it away with TS, really).
I think "gave it away" might be a bit strong -- hell, I know some Sisters of Mercy fans who wouldn't have immediately tweaked on that one. :)

Also, I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I disagree slightly with Kromm's LJ hint. If he'd said "Like Abigail or King," I'd find it much more accurate. IMO, Drake doesn't fit the concept of MH4 very well at all -- again, IMO. Anyway, the 2004 hint in this thread is much better; it is, in fact, a dead giveaway . . . but only if taken in the right context. (The fact that "the right context" is right there in his "hint post," above, is what impressed me.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #162
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
MH1: Caretakers
MH2: The Means
MH3: The Enemy
MH4: Science
MH2: The Methods
MH4: Science

MH2: The Methods
MH4: Sorcery
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #163
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Actually, now that I think about it more, Andrew's (Eldritch's) crew split off to form the Mission UK, so MH2 would definitely *not* be "The Mission."
Why not? "Andrew's former crew".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Also, I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I disagree slightly with Kromm's LJ hint. If he'd said "Like Abigail or King," I'd find it much more accurate. IMO, Drake doesn't fit the concept of MH4 very well at all -- again, IMO.
Perhaps he meant comic book Frank Drake (who became Abigail Whistler in the film version).

MH1: Champions
MH2: The Mission
MH4: Sidekicks
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #164
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Don't trust my clues too much. I promised PK I wouldn't give away anything. ;)
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #165
PK

We Have a Winner!
Quote:
MH1: Champions
MH2: The Mission
MH4: Sidekicks
I suppose no one should be too surprised, as sir_pudding was also the first one (that I know of) to predict that the line would be called GURPS Monster Hunters.

Congratulations, sir_pudding!

My only question to you now is what your actual name is -- or, more to the point, the name I should use in the vignette.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #166
PK

So, to explain Kromm's clues a bit more, and why you might have been able to guess them -- even though they weren't easy!

Champions was an important RPG that influenced GURPS. It was released in 1981. You might have known this because you're a gamer.

The Mission is the name of a band formed by Andrew Eldritch's former bandmates from Sisters of Mercy. For a while, they were called The Sisterhood (hence my TM/TS comment). You might have realized that Kromm was heavy into the goth/punk scene when younger.

The Enemy is a really common band/song/book/whatever title. You probably didn't have an easy way to guess this, but it certainly made sense given the usual holy trinity of "characters, campaigns, and monsters" found in RPGs.

And let's go back to the Champions RPG. It went from being a superhero game into being a universal RPG known as the Hero System. In 2004, Hero released their "Lite" version . . . known as Hero Sidekick. You might have caught that since both clues were dates, they were tied together; to aid this, I tried to point out that Blade: Trinity being released in 2004 (the other good clue) was actually a red herring.

(And yes, Abigail was definitely a sidekick, and apparently Drake was in the comic, if not the movie.)

Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #167
tg_ambro

Congrats Sir_Pudding!

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #168
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
We Have a Winner!

I suppose no one should be too surprised, as sir_pudding was also the first one (that I know of) to predict that the line would be called GURPS Monster Hunters.

Smarty pants rules! :)
NW, sp!
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #169
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
It's not me I assure you, it's the Intelligent Trousers. :)
Quote:
Thank you. Frankly I'm surprised. I actually considered "Sidekicks"and rejected it earlier. It seemed to have the same prosaicness as "Characters", but the role of both Abigail Whistler and Frank Drake was either that or Supporting Cast, and Nate already tried "Support" with all the other right ones.
Quote:
My only question to you now is what your actual name is -- or, more to the point, the name I should use in the vignette.
Cole Jenkins.

Quote:
The Mission is the name of a band formed by Andrew Eldritch's former bandmates from Sisters of Mercy. For a while, they were called The Sisterhood (hence my TM/TS comment). You might have realized that Kromm was heavy into the goth/punk scene when younger.
This one actually through me off a bit at first because Eldritch wasn't in The Mission/The Sisterhood; then I actually read what Kromm wrote.

Quote:
And let's go back to the Champions RPG. It went from being a superhero game into being a universal RPG known as the Hero System. In 2004, Hero released their "Lite" version . . . known as Hero Sidekick. You might have caught that since both clues were dates, they were tied together; to aid this, I tried to point out that Blade: Trinity being released in 2004 (the other good clue) was actually a red herring.
I looked at game releases in 2004, but somehow missed that one. Weird.

Quote:
(And yes, Abigail was definitely a sidekick, and apparently Drake was in the comic, if not the movie.)
In the comics the Nightstalkers have included Blade, Hannibal King (comic version is a "good" vampire), and Frank Drake (last living descendant of Dracula), Rachel van Helsing and few others. Abigail Whistler is sort of a female version of Drake. An early version of the screenplay had her as "Frankie Drake" apparently. I had considered entering "Same" and "Synonym" as possible titles, but I couldn't make them make any sense. :)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #170
PK

Quote:
It's not me I assure you, it's the Intelligent Trousers. :)
Of course! I'm halfway tempted to give them the vignette, mind you. :)

Quote:
Thank you. Frankly I'm surprised. I actually considered "Sidekicks"and rejected it earlier. It seemed to have the same prosaicness as "Characters", but the role of both Abigail Whistler and Frank Drake was either that or Supporting Cast, and Nate already tried "Support" with all the other right ones.
It'll make more sense when you read MH1. "Sidekicks" is used as a genre-specific term there, you see. I knew from the moment I sat down to write the first book that "lower-powered hunters" were going to be a necessary part of the game, so I came up with a specific (if slightly prosaic, admittedly) term for them and stuck to it.

Quote:
This one actually through me off a bit at first because Eldritch wasn't in The Mission/The Sisterhood; then I actually read what Kromm wrote.
Exactly. Them Canadians are tricksy. Gotta watch 'em like hawks.

Quote:
I looked at game releases in 2004, but somehow missed that one. Weird.
I was quite aware of it when it came out, but -- as I said in my reply to Kromm -- I had completely forgotten about it by now! Probably because (AFAIK) it was a failure. People didn't want to pay $10 for "lite rules," just to have to shell out full price for the actual core book once they realized they needed more for their games.

I did think that someone would eventually make the "1981 -> Champions -> Hero -> 2004 -> Sidekick" leap of logic, but that never happened. In the end, 'twas Frankie who gave it away. :)

Tags
monster hunters