Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #571
Langy

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

No, I meant that he could spend six points and get -2 to skill for six different Hard skills (which none of the sword skills are, if I remember right), which is effectively what you did with taking Sword! at the [6] level. If he just put points into sword-related skills, he'd have much higher skill values, though a very slightly smaller skill list.

He may have 'more' skills, but none of them are at a useful level. He'd be better off taking Dabbler and focusing on one sword skill at a useful level. Being able to use a dozen different styles of sword isn't exactly useful, and I wouldn't say it's worth taking a -3 to skill, either.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #572
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
You're missing the point. With only a handful of cinematic abilities Gunslinger isn't worth it. With a boatload of cinematic abilities it makes more sense.
Maybe I'm not communicating clearly. Acting as a prerequisite for Invisibility Art and Flying Leap isn't worth any points (or at most a perk each). The big "buff" for Gunslinger was the addition of the rules for Move and Attack in GURPS High Tech.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
He'd be better off taking Dabbler and focusing on one sword skill at a useful level.
Dabbler only applies to attribute defaults, so probably not.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-07-2011 at 10:16 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #573
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy
No, I meant that he could spend six points and get -2 to skill for six different Hard skills (which none of the sword skills are, if I remember right), which is effectively what you did with taking Sword! at the [6] level. If he just put points into sword-related skills, he'd have much higher skill values, though a very slightly smaller skill list.
Getting six different Hard skills would be comparing apples to oranges. griffin's challenge seemed to be to show greater efficiency using the same skill set. If he puts the points into that set, he will either have a much smaller set of skills, much better at those, but bad at all the rest, reducing his broad-based effectiveness... or have about half as many skills, being slightly (one skill level) better at them, and still bad at the rest.

I think my point is made about point-efficiency in that case. If you wish to discuss it further, we should probably take it elsewhere.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #574
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Maybe I'm not communicating clearly. Acting as a prerequisite for Invisibility Art and Flying Leap isn't worth any points (or at most a perk each). The big "buff" for Gunslinger was the addition of the rules for Move and Attack in GURPS High Tech.

EDIT:

Dabbler only applies to attribute defaults, so probably not.
I know that, and it doesn't change anything; he was at Attribute-2 to all of his skills, which is achievable with Dabbler on an Average or Easy skill. If he took Dabbler for most of his skills, took one skill at a higher level, and took a Acrobatics at the [1] level, he'd have all of the skills he purchased with the Bang! skill plus some, plus not being completely incompetent at his sword skill.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #575
PK

Don't mind me. I'm still happily vacationing, but I got bored and decided to pop by to see what you crazy kids are up to . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
How did I miss the fact that GURPS Monster Hunters was playtested?
'Twasn't officially playtested, but I had a hand banging on a few things. In Ghostdancer's case, I asked him (along with a few other gamers that I know) if he'd mind running his group on some very specific, very repetitive fights against the creatures in MH3 to gauge their power levels.

Quote:
Which template is each character represented by?
Ha! Nice game. I would've given y'all better vignettes if I knew you'd do that. I realize that Scott seems to be the "not enough info" one right now, but ironically, I promise y'all that Brad's the one no one's going to get right. Not saying why, mind you. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If there was not, this would be a perfect Rocky Horror reference.
I promise you that if you ever see a Rocky Horror or Star Wars reference in something I write, it's purely accidental. Not a fan of either, despite them being apparently a requirement for true geekdom.

Quote:
I want to see what MH does to make WC skills worth the points.
Yeah, me too! When's the darn thing getting released? (Oh wait, I'm the one who's supposed to know the answer to that sort of thing . . .)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #576
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Ha! Nice game. I would've given y'all better vignettes if I knew you'd do that. I realize that Scott seems to be the "not enough info" one right now, but ironically, I promise y'all that Brad's the one no one's going to get right. Not saying why, mind you. :)
If Brad's going to be difficult, perhaps he has more than one template or is a sidekick, though I have a vague memory of this group all being champions. My second choice for Brad, after Sage, was Psi.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #577
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
If Brad's going to be difficult, perhaps he has more than one template or is a sidekick, though I have a vague memory of this group all being champions. My second choice for Brad, after Sage, was Psi.
I'd say Brad's probably a witch. There's reference to magic and spirit circles as well as using the amulet for faster magic.

Last edited by griffin; 03-08-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: typo
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 AM   #578
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
I'd say Brad's probably a witch. There's reference to magic and spirit circles as well as using the amulet for faster magic.
Which was why I went with Sage as my first choice. But there were also references to forces bound to his will, so that's why I was thinking of Psi.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 AM   #579
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Which was why I went with Sage as my first choice. But there were also references to forces bound to his will, so that's why I was thinking of Psi.
Yeah, maybe he has elements of both Witch and Psi. For now I think Witch fits best. The dialogue seemed like perhaps he had telepathy, but I'm not sure. Witch/Psi mix would be cool though.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #580
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Don't mind me. I'm still happily vacationing, but I got bored and decided to pop by to see what you crazy kids are up to . . .

Thanks. It's proving to be entertaining. When you get back from vacation, perhaps you can post another vignette. Preferrably something providing some details on Scott. More about Brad would also be appreciated. Of course, the Chango and fetish references regarding Danielle are also intriguing.

Tags
monster hunters