Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2022, 09:05 AM   #31
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Default rolls vs. skill rolls replacing attribute rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIT View Post
my wondering about teleologically why the rules were written that way to begin with.
In the ebginning (probably Man To Man but defintely 3e)) there were no multiplication stages. You rounded down in the intial calculation. You went back and added in the value derived from Running Skill to your initial calculated value and ten rounded down from that. Then you added +1 for Sprinting.

You had to have Super Running for any multiplication.

So in 4e they got rid of bonuses for Running Skill. Then they made it possible to buy up both Basic Speed and Basic Move individually. They probably figured that if losing that fractional value bothered you so much you bought it up at this stage. Then they added a multiplication stage for Sprinting instead of adding just +1. Even this ws being finicky. It only matters for some faster tha average people.

Why didn't they use your multiple multiplication proceedure? I don't know. I've never heard it discussed by any of the PTB. If I were to speculate I'd gues that they thought the marginal increase in complexity exceeded the value of any increase in theoretical accuracy. Simplicity is a virtue.

That's only my guess though. Only a limited number of people would actually know and I haven't seen them in the forums lately. It's been more than 18 years since that decision was made so they might not even remember "Why?".

I suspect you're not going to get the answer you want.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #32
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIT View Post
I apologize for my sarcasm. I'll be more direct: I don't appreciate your pedantically legalistic replies about what the rules are in the context of my wondering about teleologically why the rules were written that way to begin with.
By the time that they introduced rules for enhanced movement, movement already existed as a distinct if tertiary stat to be multiplied. They wanted an advantage that only changed how fast you could could move and not now fast your reflexes were (Speed). Doing it this way was simpler. Only slightly simpler, but GURP character creation is already plenty involved.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 10-05-2022 at 10:56 AM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:34 PM   #33
VIVIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In the ebginning (probably Man To Man but defintely 3e)) there were no multiplication stages. You rounded down in the intial calculation. You went back and added in the value derived from Running Skill to your initial calculated value and ten rounded down from that. Then you added +1 for Sprinting.
My copy of Basic Set 3e revised gives Dai Blackthorn a Basic Speed of 6.75 and explicitly says not to round down Basic Speed for the purposes of long-distance running. Comparing and contrasting the rules, I suspect that the 1.2 multiplier for sprinting was added for scaling purposes so that characters with high Move scores get proportionally the same boost from sprinting that someone with Move 5 does.

The real oddity is Extra Effort, though…
VIVIT is offline   Reply With Quote