Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2022, 01:24 AM   #1
Plane

Default what are advantages which inherently seem to increase rate of char point accrual

Two examples came to mind:

1) if we assign char point equivalence to material wealth (since you can buy wealth using char points) then Independent Income could be perceived as building your character point value over time (without needing a job)

2) points in magery if you have that spell which gives muggles chaotic magery and awards you bonus CP any time they crit fail

Aside from that it seems like it relies on GM rewards for play unless you do time-based study and stuff which accelerates that.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:32 AM   #2
RGTraynor

Default Re: what are advantages which inherently seem to increase rate of char point accrual

#1) ... except while it's of course possible to obtain more money through the use of CP, it doesn't work the other way around. Money cannot buy CP.

#2) ... alright, this is incomprehensible. Huh?

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:45 AM   #3
malloyd

Default Re: what are advantages which inherently seem to increase rate of char point accrual

There should be [none], this is something GURPS editors and playtesters make some effort to kill out, as a part of the philosophy that identical characters should have the same number of points on their character sheet regardless of whether they are newly created or got there through play.

There are some borderline cases where if you define character points sufficiently broadly you can call that - they tend to be controversial for exactly that reason too - but nothing that's explicit. Problematic cases like that include Talents (especially Language Talent, which even breaks equivalent in beginning characters), stuff that affects Wealth (and equipment more generally, getting you into the tangle of points for gear), and the really weird Named Possession perk, which is bizarrely defined in character points immediately converted to enchantments. Basing skills on attributes at all sometimes lumps into this category, but it's so much a core concept of GURPS it usually passes without mention.

I have no idea what that Magery example you are offering is about.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
RobKamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
and the really weird Named Possession perk, which is bizarrely defined in character points immediately converted to enchantments.
Yes, this one is peculiar. I rationalize it by thinking of it as a shortcut to Allies: Always, Minion, Special Abilities, and weird power level approximation that grows with the character but isn't like other sentient Allies.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:04 AM   #5
Anthony

All the advantages which give extra time per day (such as less sleep) will give extra character points if you're using the study rules, and appear to be priced based on the assumption that those rules are in effect.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:12 AM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
#1) ... except while it's of course possible to obtain more money through the use of CP, it doesn't work the other way around. Money cannot buy CP.
Yeah but that applies to most advantages (I can't trade my DR for bonus CP) except in some cases where GMs allow you to burn advantages to buy CP or other advantages (probably at a disadvantagous ratio) though I can't remember where to find rules like that.

I just meant stuff which effectively increases the 'value' of a character, like something you might need to spend CP to buy if the GM didn't gift it.

Like even if you didn't buy an expensive magic sword, if a GM has you find some 10-million-dollar sword in a dungeon that does 100d and you're carrying it around, you're going to be a more effective/powerful character (essentially you've got an ally/minion or signature gear) at least unless it comes paired with some counter-acting disadvantage like "Enemy - bad dudes know you have the sword and want to take it from you" that makes gaining the 100d sword a 0pt feature.

Quote:
#2) ... alright, this is incomprehensible. Huh?
sorry I was drawing a blank on the particulars last night, it's the spell "Invest" from pg 9 of Magical Styles - Horror Magic

for every two points of Magery you can "invest" in an "Asset", 1 in every 108 critical failures they do (2 per 216 on the 3d table) gives you a character point, so all you need to do is stop your asset from being killed by the 1d damage or the demons they summon
Old 03-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
munin

Talent and Magery allow you to learn skills faster. So do Accelerated Learning and Smart Drugs (GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School, pp. 13-14).

A Dream Teacher (UT59) can train you in skills or languages while you sleep (at Intensive Training speeds for IQ-based skills and languages, it might be a better deal than Less Sleep or Doesn't Sleep).

Instaskill Nano (UT59) can give you a point or two in a new skill every day or even every hour ($30k/dose).

Quote:
It depends on the setting. In some settings it's possible to purchase Status or Rank with money (buying commissions in the military or titles of nobility has been quite common in history). The GM may also be using the setting switch where money is all you need to buy cybernetics or other improvements (B295).

Last edited by munin; 03-27-2022 at 12:36 AM. Reason: corrected page reference
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:13 PM   #8
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
A Dream Teacher (UT99) can train you in skills or languages while you sleep (at Intensive Training speeds for IQ-based skills and languages, it might be a better deal than Less Sleep or Doesn't Sleep).
That sounds like a great Ally or Patron to have.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #9
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Yeah but that applies to most advantages (I can't trade my DR for bonus CP) except in some cases where GMs allow you to burn advantages to buy CP or other advantages (probably at a disadvantagous ratio) though I can't remember where to find rules like that.
Starting money isn't supposed to be a major component of the Wealth advantages, so "has a lot of cash" isn't directly equivalent to "has a high effective wealth level". I've never been entirely satisfied with how Wealth actually works, though.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:21 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Starting money isn't supposed to be a major component of the Wealth advantages, so "has a lot of cash" isn't directly equivalent to "has a high effective wealth level". I've never been entirely satisfied with how Wealth actually works, though.
aside from establishing your starting wealth the greater long-term effect of wealth actually seems more like "I can earn higher-paying jobs" because you're forced to buy it if you do get a higher-paying job

Tags
bonu cp, character points, independent income, magery