Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
Tallor

Default What Was Your Lowest-Point Campaign Ever?

Pretty self-explanatory, but with a large amendment:

For the longest time I've run adventures from 225-250 points, enough that everyone could function as an "ordinary human" (or dwarf, elf, TMWNMTK*, etc...) with Carousing, Climbing, Stealth, and combat skills, but with enough specialty of their own. Mages and clerics in particular have always been difficult for me to stat up, since Magery and magic in general is very taxing on points.

So I ask y'all--what's the lowest character point campaign you've ever run and/or been part of, and how did it work out? Limit being 225 points or less, of course!
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: What Was Your Lowest-Point Campaign Ever?

Lost in dreams starts with 110 point characters ... but then they get about 70 points in campaign advantages (same for every character). Premise is a normal person thrown into a variety of sci-fi and fantasy settings.

Space Merchant was 125 points. Combat was rare. I found the characters to be more than capable.

The hunt for the lusipitania, which I played rather than GM'd, was 100 points of mundane character.

These are the ones I have records of. I don't think any of these should be considered particularly low. Its possible I've played a lower game, but I couldn't say what it was.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

In 3e I ran a few 50 point campaigns... but in 4e I've stuck mostly to 250+.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

For me, it was 100 points with -30 in Disadvantages and -5 in Quirks. Plus any boxes on the sheet that offer negative prices but aren't the Disadvantages box don't count against the limit (Laguange, low TL, attribute/secondary characteristic reductions, etc).

It was a fantasy campaign with human, a 40-ish point Dwarf, and a 70-ish point Elf as the only available races. Elf was bloated with tons of things the GM wanted them to have but no players really wanted or needed, Dwarf had Dwarfism baked into the template for basically -15 in free Disadvantage points.

I was a human wizard because dwarf had Magic Resistance.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
Boomerang

For 3e the lowest starting total I ever ran was a 50 point modern day game where the characters were classic mispent youth. Character advancement was rapid though, so they grew to be 200 point characters in a short amount of time. It was a good campaign and the only time I didn't have a party full of DX monsters.

For 4e I've only played and run 150 point starting characters.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
VariousRen

I've run a campaign that started at 40 points with -40 in disadvantages, and played in a campaign that started at 40 with -40. In both cases I found It's entirely possible to build average people with a few points dedicated to interesting adventuring skills.

In the game that I played in I ran a wizard (using the basic magic system). He focused on protection magic, mainly blocking spells so he could risk the occasional swing with his axe. Every spell was a risk, and range penalties were really a killer. No maintenance cost reductions, so no always on shenanigans. It felt really interesting and very dynamic, as long as the DM made sure that opponents were a reasonable match.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
whswhs

Well, when I ran my recent Worminghall campaign, the point base was 75, for a campaign where the characters were 14 years old, plus or minus.

I don't have old character sheets to consult, but I think the characters in Oak and Ash and Thorn were built (in 3/e) on a point base of 50. They were also young, ranging I think from 13 or 14 to 18.

Of course, for characters that age, even 50 or 75 points is a lot.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
starslayer

72 points with no more then -30 in disadvantages.

Characters were dungeon fantasy esque - though problems were more in line of 'deliver this note' or 'retrieve the overdue library book' then anything actually heroic- and often resulted in absolute hilarity (deliver note ended up with our knight with flying mount getting stuck in a tree, regular magery druid getting locked in squirrel body via shapeshift, and rpm alchemist all but passing out from exhaustion trying to fix it all)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
(E)

Way back in 3e days I had a short run game playing a 25 point refugee. Like its been mentioned up thread it is really interesting gaming at low point levels.

As a GM I ran a 50 points plus (Large) race package game with the PCs playing slightly exaggerated steriotypical members of the various dark horde races.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #10
Minuteman37

-50 with unlimited disadvantages.

Get. On. My. Level. Bros!
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, character points, lowest ever, lowest level