Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

View Poll Results: Animal forms for Demihumans
Dog 2 22.22%
Cat 3 33.33%
Wolf 2 22.22%
Bear 3 33.33%
Lion 1 11.11%
Tiger 2 22.22%
Horse 0 0%
Ox/Cow 0 0%
Deer 1 11.11%
Rabbit 0 0%
Squirrel 1 11.11%
Weasel/Ferret/Ermine 1 11.11%
Elephant/Mammoth 1 11.11%
Rhino/Hippo 2 22.22%
Hyena 1 11.11%
Goat 3 33.33%
Sheep 0 0%
Bird of Prey 3 33.33%
Owl 1 11.11%
Songbird 0 0%
Shark 1 11.11%
Whale 0 0%
Fish 0 0%
Hymenoptera (Bee/Wasp/Ant) 4 44.44%
Butterfly/Dragongfly 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Shadekeep

Default Demihuman Poll

Thanks to the feedback on my Were Variants thread, I've decided that these might be better gamed as demihumans (animal-humanoid anthropomorphs that are permanently in this form, like a furry or one of the inhabitants of the island of Dr. Moreau).

So I wanted to get feedback on two things. First, is there any interest in having demihumans available in the book of Uncommon Beings? And secondly, what animals would you most like to see used? I am including a poll, and feel free to add any that I didn't list. (Note that I didn't include reptiles as the book already has five variant species of Reptile Men.)

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Demihuman Poll

Furry: Small humanoid with same stats as an elf. Has animal ears and tail (of whatever type: wolf, sheep, rabbit, cat, etc.) and matching hair type.

May purchase Acute Hearing even if IQ is only 8 and if so this includes acute sense of smell also.

Generally considered to be either dumb or speciously crafty by most people.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
Shadekeep

Thinking on this further, I'll probably put in general rules for adapting broad classes of animals (mammalian predators, herd animals, megafauna, etc) to demihuman form, so that people can roll their own mixes, and just provide a set of pre-generated ones with the most popular animals.

And yes, some demihuman forms come with special talents or abilities baked in. Examples include Dark Vision, Alertness, Acute Hearing, and Silent Movement.

I missed Spiders off the list. Those could be fun too.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Skarg

Not to discourage but to give straight feedback. No, I'm not much interested in half-man/half-animal races, beasts or lycanthropes. I might use them as the unfortunate results of failed Shapeshifting... (or the usual result of shapeshifting... I don't much like that either).

Of the list above, the hymenopterans stand out as having interesting and terrifying potential.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
Shadekeep

Quite alright, they're not everyone's cuppa.

I'm mostly just considering material for the book, which is already a collection of oddments designed more for one-off scenario building than regular encounters. I don't expect demihumans to turn up in every town any more than I would my other unusual intelligent races. They'd be there for those folks who want to use them or set up a scenario around them.

Or in case you want to have a horrifying incident where a person and a fly go through an unstable Gate at the same time. ~_^
Old 12-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
TippetsTX

Perhaps a more broad approach would be desirable... a book of general rules for building races; a toolkit of various traits with relative point-values, species or ecology-based templates, guidelines on symmetrical vs non-symmetrical balance in RPG race design philosophy, etc.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-13-2019 at 04:50 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
Shadekeep

That works too. The more I think about this general concept the more it seems to pull in other things as well. For instance, these rules could also be used for skinwalkers, shamans who use animal skins to transform themselves into half-humanoid beasts. And there are several demihuman races in mythology that I'd want the rules to include - minotaurs, satyrs, sileni, harpies, and tengu, for example.

At this point I should probably back-burner this until the official TFT bestiary comes out, in case they are already covering similar material. It's not like I don't have enough projects at the moment anyway. ^_^