Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Shadekeep

Default Were Variants

I am working on a further section to the Book of Uncommon Beings which covers alternate wereforms beyond werewolves. I would appreciate your feedback on this material, and any suggestions or improvements. If this looks like a worthwhile inclusion in the book then I hope to get my illustrator to draw these up as well. Thanks!

--------------------

Weres, also known as lycanthropes, are intelligent beings afflicted with lycanthropy. This is a bio-magical disease, with a mixture of natural and magical properties. The microbe activates dormant genes in the infected, bringing out traits from animals earlier in their evolutionary history. The result is a person transformed halfway between their normal self and an animal. The animal side of the transformation is different in each race, and appears to be an animal which shares traits with that race. This transformation occurs on a regular cycle, typically each full moon, and is not a permanent change. This cycle is also linked to the magical side of the disease.

In humans the lycanthropy disease creates a werewolf, a being with the wolfish aggression and rapacious hunger that underlies the dark side of human nature. The name of the disease itself, "lycanthropy", comes from the first recorded sufferer of this curse, Lycaon the king of Arcadia. Lycaon prepared a feast for Zeus but tried to deceive the god into eating human flesh. Zeus in his wrath turned Lycaon into a wolf, and thus the term "lycanthropy" was born, connoting a being who is a mixture of animal and person.

There continues to be study on werewolves and the wereforms of other races, though the furtive and dangerous nature of lycanthropes can make them challenging to observe. What follows is a part of that scholarship.

In most weres, the head transforms markedly towards the animal side. Speech can be very difficult for a were, even those who retain enough of their intellect to be spoken with. The legs also are typically altered to favor those of the animal side, which can be a help or a hindrance depending on the animal. The hands will take on some of the animal traits, such as claws, and may become less suited to weapon wielding or performing skills requiring precision. The skin also will change to that more similar to that of the animal side, becoming tougher and in many cases growing fur. Finally, some of the humanoid senses may scale back as certain animal senses take precedence. A werewolf for example has a type of colorblindness, but a far keener sense of smell and hearing than a human.

All types of weres have the universal traits ascribed to them in the In The Labyrinth manual, including rules on transmitting the disease, options for cures, regeneration abilities, and rules on entering and leaving the transformed state. Other traits vary by type.

In The Labyrinth doesn’t contain explicit rules about handling wounds suffered as lycanthrope when returning to normal. Since lycanthropes heal most wounds rapidly, it is assumed that they wouldn’t turn back until healing is complete. But there are times when they may change back before then, or when they have wounds that have been inflicted by silver weapons and cannot be regenerated in the lycanthrope state. In such cases, the simplest assumption is that the amount of damage stays the same when returning to normal. So a werewolf who has 12 points of damage and reverts to human has that same amount of damage in their normal state. If this is enough to kill them, then the wounds have proven fatal to them. Given how dangerous this is, and how much longer it takes a normal person versus a lycanthrope to heal, most weres will want to stay transformed until they have regained their strength.

Here are the effects of lycanthropy that have been observed in intelligent races. Apart from Neanderthals and Ogres, the intelligent races commonly known as “intelligent monsters” appear to be immune to the disease, most likely due to their radically different biologies. There are as yet no recorded instances of lycanthropy in non-intelligent races or animals. And while lycanthropy does affect reptile men, there are thankfully no reports of it in dragons.

(listings follow in next post)
Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Shadekeep

Default Re: Were Variants

Human - Werewolf
The best known, and definitive, example of a lycanthrope is the werewolf. Humans so afflicted turn into a humanoid wolf, driven by bestial desires. Werewolves, like wolves and dogs, have bichromatic vision similar to red-green colorblindness, and they have sharp hearing and a powerful sense of smell. A doubling of ST accompanies this change, which is mitigated by a decrease in DX (-3) and a halving of IQ (though no lower than 6).

Elves - Elvendeor (Werestag)
Lyncanthropy transforms the elves of the forests into beings with the aspect of a deer. Alert and territorial, they prowl the woodlands looking for intruders to battle. Their head and legs become deer-like, and they are covered in a coat of short fur the same color as their hair. Elvendeor have excellent hearing, and while their distance eyesight is not as good as an elf’s, they are able to spot motion very effectively. Both male and female elvendeor sport an impressive rack of antlers. Elvendeor gain a bonus of half their ST (rounded up), take a slight DX penalty (-1), and have their IQ halved (no lower than 6). They are even fleeter of foot than elves and have an MA of 14.

Dwarves - Kotturga (Werecougar)
Lycanthropy reveals in these mountain dwellers a kinship with cougars, also known as mountain lions. Tough and vicious, these feline weres will defend their homes and answer any perceived slight with immediate retaliation. Kotturga are not colorblind but see colors in a muted way. They have natural Dark Vision, like the spell of the same name. Kotturga have the same attribute changes as werewolves, with ST doubled, DX reduced by -3, and IQ is halved but not below 6.

Halfling - Wererabbit
Even when transformed into their "worst" nature, halflings can still be affable and charming. With their love of community and cozy burrow homes, lycanthropy transforms these homebodies into wererabbits. Very few of them are hostile, though they will get up to mischief, such as raiding their neighbors' vegetable gardens, or go wooing in a manner considered quite un-halfling-like. They have keen hearing and a remarkable sense of taste, but their vision is below halfling norms. Wererabbit transformation is like that of the elvendeor, with ST increased by half again (rounding up), DX decreased by -1, and IQ halved but not below 6.

Orc - Wereboar
The greedy and slovenly nature of orcs is magnified by lycanthropy, transforming them into boar-like creatures. With piggish snouts, wicked tusks, and raised ridges of hair along their head and spine, they are even more intimidating than the usual orc. They are without self-control in this state and capable of wreaking tremendous damage while sating their appetites. They are nearsighted but have a preternaturally good sense of smell. Wereboars have the same attribute changes as werewolves, with ST doubled, DX reduced by -3, and IQ halved but not below 6.

Neanderthal - Urs-nen (Werebear)
Through lycanthropy the raw strength and mercurial tempers of the cave-dwelling Neanderthals are transformed into the aspect of a bear. Large and implacable, the werebear, or urs-nen in the Neanderthal language, is seen as a holy creature and a blessing to the tribe. Neighboring communities find them less so, as a werebear will pillage at leisure, maul at provocation, and is generally no respecter of property or boundaries. Werebears have significant attribute changes, with their ST tripled, their DX decreased by -4, and their IQ halved but not below 6. Their MA is also reduced to 8.

Goblin - Wererat
Small, clever, and secretive, it's no wonder that lycanthropy brings out rat-like traits in goblins. While their physical transformation is notably profound, wererats seem to be able to hold onto their mental faculties better than most weres. They also naturally possess the Acute Hearing talent in this state. Wererats gain a bonus of half their ST (rounded up), take a slight DX penalty (-1), and IQ is reduced by one quarter (round down, does not go below 6).

Hobgoblin - Hedgehob (Werehedgehog)
Slow and irritable, hobgoblins gain the attributes of a hedgehog when transformed. The most dramatic part of the change is the coat of short quills they develop. These are useful protection, especially as their gait drops significantly (MA 6). They are patient and stubborn in their were state, and if there is something they want they will push on until they get it. It's at these times that their protective quills stand them in good stead. They have extremely poor vision and rely heavily on sound and smell in this state. Hedgehobs double their ST, take a DX penalty of -3, and and IQ is halved but not below 6. Their quills act as 2 point armor protection.

Prootwaddle - Nutkin (Weresquirrel)
If there's any beast that shares the temperament of a prootwaddle, it’s a squirrel. Small, food-obsessed, and easily distracted, a transformed proot seems hardly different from a regular one. The biggest change, besides their appearance, is that nutkins are manically active. During their transformation they will obsessively build up their food hordes, which are typically raided by their community as soon as the nutkin is back to normal. Their sight, hearing, and other senses are not markedly different from those in their regular state. Nutkins gain a bonus of half their ST (rounded up), take a slight DX penalty (-1), and their IQ remains unchanged.

Centaur - Centothere (Werebront)
Lycanthropy dredges up in centaurs an ancient and imposing ancestor of the equines, the brontothere. Having traits of both the horse and its cousin the rhinoceros, the centothere develops a thick hide and a forked horn on the bridge of its snout. They have weak distance vision. Centotheres have their ST doubled, their DX decreased by -3, and their IQ halved but not below 6. Their skins stops 1 point of damage, and a charge with their horn gains an extra +3 damage.

Giant - Weremammoth
Giants become even more huge and ponderous under lycanthropy, taking on the aspect of a mammoth. With a thick shaggy coat and massive tusks, only the largest or most foolhardy beings challenge a weremammoth. They can appear placid at times, but are prone to sudden bursts of violent action, smashing and trampling everything in range. This may occur when they feel threatened, or sense strangers, or for some reason unknown even to the giant. Their sight, hearing, and other senses are largely unchanged. Weremammoths have their ST doubled, their DX decreased by -2, and their IQ halved but not below 6. They can grapple an enemy with their trunk while leaving their hands free for attack or other actions.

Ogre - Weresloth
Ogres infected with lycanthropy take on the aspect of the prehistoric giant sloth, the megatherium. Slow but immensely powerful, this transformation only increases the gruffness, stupidity, and brute force of the typical ogre. They have poor distance vision but a good sense of smell. Weresloths have their ST doubled, their DX decreased by -2, and their IQ remains 6. Their MA falls to 8.

Merfolk - Wereshark
One of the most fearsome transformations is that of a mermaid or merman into a wereshark. Untiring and patient, they can strike suddenly from the shadowed depths and dispatch their target in an instant. They are feared as much by the merfolk as by those who live along the shoreline. Sometimes though a noble person becomes a wereshark and can control that power in order to protect their community. Weresharks have a famously acute sense of smell, and while their hearing is drastically diminished, they can sense minute vibrations through the water. Weresharks have their ST tripled, their DX decreased by -4, and their IQ halved but not below 6. Their MA in the water is increased to 12.

Sea Elf - Orcanuin (Werewhale)
Unlike the fish-ward transformation of their merfolk kin, sea elves with lycanthropy take after a mammalian relative, the orca or killer whale. In this state they retain their cunning, though tinged with the bloodlust of this ocean hunter. There are small communities of orcanuin deep in the oceans, as often the afflicted can control themselves enough to convert their kinfolk rather than massacre them. This results in a whole tribe of sea elves that become a fearsome hunting pack of orcanuin every full moon. Their perceptive senses are largely unchanged by the transformation. Orcanuin have their ST tripled, their DX decreased by -4, and their IQ halved but not below 6. Their MA in the water is increased to 12.

Reptile Men - Weresaur
In reptile men the cunning and vicious aspects of their dinosaurian ancestors come to the fore, as their transformation regresses them to a larger, deadlier reptilian form. Some weresaurs may even regain the plumage of their dinosaur forebearers. Others may develop dorsal fins or horns. However the transformation affects them, a weresaur is a force to be reckoned with. Their senses are as keen as in their normal state. Weresaurs have their ST doubled, DX reduced by -3, and IQ halved but not below 6.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Shostak

I applaud extending were forms to other animals and appreciate the considerable work you've put into this. But, I don't think I'd ever use it. I prefer lycanthropic forms to be those of formidable predators like big cats, hyenas, bears, etc., rather than prey beasts like rabbits, deer, and mammoths, which don't fit the rapacious archetype. And, as a GM, I'd not want to be limited to having a particular lycanthropic forms for each race. Finally, I prefer the traditional full animal form to the wolf-man type.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I applaud extending were forms to other animals and appreciate the considerable work you've put into this. But, I don't think I'd ever use it. I prefer lycanthropic forms to be those of formidable predators like big cats, hyenas, bears, etc., rather than prey beasts like rabbits, deer, and mammoths, which don't fit the rapacious archetype. And, as a GM, I'd not want to be limited to having a particular lycanthropic forms for each race. Finally, I prefer the traditional full animal form to the wolf-man type.
Very useful feedback, thanks! I appreciate it. I can see where some of my animal choices undercut the vicious tradition of lycanthropy. I was going more in the direction of "the disease brings out an alternate side", but that is a deviation from the typical framing of lycanthropy. And a good point that the forms don't necessarily have to be pegged to a race, but could instead be variant forms of the disease. The race-based approach is my biologist background showing again, with each genotype yielding a specific phenotype. ^_^
Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Shadekeep

On reflection, perhaps these make more sense as various tribes of "beastfolk", instead of weres? For GMs who want to add such things to the game. Not sure that makes them any more useful, however.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
Shostak

Or pseudolycantrhopy? It would be something that resembles lycanthropy in that it only brings about a semi-transformation, but has a wholly different cause.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
larsdangly

I love this! The Prootwaddle-nutkin hybrid is definitely showing up in my next session.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #8
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Or pseudolycantrhopy? It would be something that resembles lycanthropy in that it only brings about a semi-transformation, but has a wholly different cause.
Moreauthropy? I do love a good literary reference.

EDIT: A common term I've seen used for animal/human hybrids is demihuman. I think if I add these to Uncommon Beings I'll list them as that instead of lycanthropes. Need to figure out the cause, whether it's a mutation of the lycanthropy pathogen or an ancient curse or Mnoren tinkering with genomes. The real cause may be currrently unknown and shrouded in these kinds of rumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I love this! The Prootwaddle-nutkin hybrid is definitely showing up in my next session.
Awesome! Let us know how those work out. ^_^

Last edited by Shadekeep; 12-09-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote