Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Dalillama

Default The Song of Flaming Swords

Poking through the artifact rules, I noticed that Flaming Swords are Relics, and there isn't any notation about special creation procedures, which implies that they are simply objects imbued with a Song, just like ordinary Relics. The fact that they can't be used by mortals implies that the Song is Celestial, but that doesn't rule out an Ethereal Version. Thus:
Song of Flaming Swords
These Songs create Flaming Weapons. They last for CD+ appropriate Forces rounds.
Corporeal:
This Song causes an existing weapon to burst into flame. Despite the name, it works on any weapon. This gives them +1 to Power, and the potential to set flammable things on fire.
Ethereal:
I haven't thought of one yet
Celestial:
This Song manifests a Flaming Sword, as the Artifact. The blade simply emerges from the user's hand, without need for a hilt. Treat it has being Level 1, +1 for every additional Essence spent
Essence cost:3
Added Disturbance: 2
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: The Song of Flaming Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
Ethereal:
I haven't thought of one yet
Perhaps something that calls upon the singer's fires of imagination to craft a weapon from an existing flame? (Your call whether the weapon's wielder is immune to flame damage because of the Song.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

And of course, on the divine side, angels of Fire would get a bonus to perform all three versions. (Angels of Purity might get a similar bonus in a historical campaign, or one involving the Tsayadim; Uriel could be seen as a cleansing flame, and some traditions asociate him with fire.)

Demons of Fire would naturally get a bonus for the Corporeal version. (Maybe the Celestial as well, but I doubt it.)

I like Rob's suggestion for the Ethereal Flaming Swords. If that's fleshed out, then angels of Creation should definitely get a bonus to the Ethereal version of the Song. Perhaps it could be phrased this way:

Flaiming Swords (Ethereal): Using the fires of imagination and some existing flame, the singer can craft a weapon for his own use! The type and Power of the weapon depends on how much "real flame" is availabe: a candle or torch could provide the heart of a dagger, a typical fireplace could generate a sword, while a pollaxe or quarterstaff might require an all-out bonfire. If the flame was created with the Corporeal Song of Fire, add 1 to Power -- the weapon is no larger than it would normally be, but it's much finer quality!

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
JCD

Hmm.

I think a better version would be that the Fires of Imagination allow the Celestial to engage in a devestating attack, bypassing the defenses and dodge of the defender to do CD plus or times Essence damage. This makes it similar to one or two resonances, IIRC

YMMV
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Hmm.

I think a better version would be that the Fires of Imagination allow the Celestial to engage in a devestating attack, bypassing the defenses and dodge of the defender to do CD plus or times Essence damage. This makes it similar to one or two resonances, IIRC

YMMV
Ethereal:
Calls upon the fires of the imagination to execute a dazzling attack. The singer weaves a dazzling pattern with their weapon, hypnotizing the foe and making it impossible to see where the attack is truly coming from. The defender's Dodge roll suffers a penalty equal to CD, and any armor is bypassed.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
Ethereal:
Calls upon the fires of the imagination to execute a dazzling attack. The singer weaves a dazzling pattern with their weapon, hypnotizing the foe and making it impossible to see where the attack is truly coming from. The defender's Dodge roll suffers a penalty equal to CD, and any armor is bypassed.
Better written and nicely refined.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Very nicely done, DL. It complements the suite perfectly.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Kelly Pedersen

Another Ethereal alternative would be to create a flaming weapon on the Ethereal plane, useful since it wouldn't require any dream-shaping rolls, and it would probably resist dream-shaping away.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Another Ethereal alternative would be to create a flaming weapon on the Ethereal plane, useful since it wouldn't require any dream-shaping rolls, and it would probably resist dream-shaping away.
IIRC, Fiery Sword Relics work on all three planes, so I would rule that the Celestial version would work on all three as well, so it would be the one to generate a weapon on the Ethereal/create a weapon when you don't have one.
If I'm wrong about that, though, then something that made a weapon on the Ethereal plane would be useful. For that matter, the Ethereal version above could work on any plane as well, and can be combined with the Celestial version, if you want to blow a lot of Essence.

Tags
artifacts, resources, songs, theories, weapons