Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: A puzzle regarding picking up weapons

I would advise against any change that makes DX even more powerful.

The built-in Quick Draw of Thrown Weapons is bad enough.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #22
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
So, let's say you Move and pick up (and thus ready) a weapon and spend less than half MA doing so, and the Movement Phase ends with you being engaged. What is to stop you from making an attack that round during the Action Phase, in light of the change actions clause?
If you follow my suggestion, it would be the fact that you picked up an object during movement, and therefore that was your action, committing you to option (a) MOVE, so you don't get another action later.

You already used your action by picking something up during movement.

After all, picking up a small object as an action is an action, as is readying a weapon, and if you attempt HTH during movement, that's your action for the turn. The advantage of "scooping up a weapon" during movement is you get to take that action during movement, not that it lets you take more that one action per turn.

It seems to me this is probably the intention, and entirely solves all the complaints.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #23
hcobb

The errata says: "This is a "ready" action, on your DX turn, requiring a free hand."
Old 12-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #24
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
It seems to me this is probably the intention, and entirely solves all the complaints.
Please forgive me if I’m being slow-witted, but how does it solve the problem that a figure can move more than two hexes and ready an item?
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #25
phiwum

Quote:
Please forgive me if I’m being slow-witted, but how does it solve the problem that a figure can move more than two hexes and ready an item?
You're right that even with Skarg's suggestion, we have the possibility of moving a full move (- 3 MA) when picking up a weapon, whereas we can only move 2 hexes when drawing a weapon.

So, maybe Skarg shoulda said "solves most complaints".
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 01:03 AM   #26
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The advantage of "scooping up a weapon" during movement is you get to take that action during movement, not that it lets you take more that one action per turn.

Quite so. The purpose of "scooping up a weapon" during movement seems really intended to let the moving figure beat anyone else to an object on the floor, and nothing more. Otherwise, if you waited for the Action Phase, any other adjacent figure with a higher adjDX beats you to the prize.

If any language about the object/weapon being "ready" is deleted, all the confusion goes away. If it's a Scepter Of Invisibility you've scooped up, you could become instantaneously invisible, but if it's a rapier then you're not going to be fencing on the same turn.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:57 AM   #27
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
This is one of the reasons I am considering a change from the MOVE + ACT turn sequence to a model where you can only do one or the other during your turn. Still early in the 'idea' phase though.
It solves many, many problems while engendering a few new ones, so there's lots of work ahead if you go that route. It really becomes a different game.

But imagine no Movement Phase at all, just consecutive Action Phases where the movement options become Actions. You'll want to make the maximum "Move" equal to half MA to keep things on the scale TFT players are used to. Then, during any two consecutive phases a figure might: (1) Move then Attack, (2) Attack then Move, (3) Move and Move, or (4) Attack and Attack.

The first example is very much like a standard turn in TFT, the second example is the same thing in reverse order, the third example is equivalent to moving full MA under the RAW, and the fourth example could be considered an "all out attack", as you'd get to roll to hit twice in the same amount of time. You could also do the equivalent of Move+Defend, Defend+Attack, Attack+Defend, or Defend+Defend for two consecutive phases. Then add in all the other options... some "turns" would play out identically to TFT while others would be extremely different. It gets to be a lot to figure out.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #28
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You're right that even with Skarg's suggestion, we have the possibility of moving a full move (- 3 MA) when picking up a weapon, whereas we can only move 2 hexes when drawing a weapon.

So, maybe Skarg shoulda said "solves most complaints".
It solves the original issue you posted of someone having a pile of daggers on the ground and thus picking up a dagger and throwing it on the same turn. Since they are limited to one action per turn, even if that action occurred during movement, thus they may not throw the dagger the same turn they picked it up.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:23 AM   #29
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
You are correct that it does not solve the fact that it is faster to ready a weapon from the ground than it is to draw a weapon. That is, you may travel your full MA-3 while readying a weapon from the ground, but if you ready a weapon from your belt, you may not move more than 2 hexes.

I would say, yes while this is a bit incongruent it at least will not come up often. TFT is trying to give a special case for grabbing weapons/items. At this point it seems the best choices are to allow it as limited above or to simply ban the action.

BTW, I want to add this note. I did see mention in this forum above of using this pickup-on-the-run rule while being engaged. I disagree with this. I believe this rule is strictly for use while not engaged. It is an alternative to option (e) but not an alternative for options (m) nor (q). ITL 102-103. Notice how option (q) "PICK UP DROPPED WEAPON" specifically states "not moving".
Old 12-03-2021, 07:26 AM   #30
Axly Suregrip

To summarize:
If you wish to pick up on the run, then you must not be engaged and it will cost you your action for the turn.