Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2020, 11:35 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Afflicting levels of traits based on target

A player of mine just came up with an idea for a power. You hit someone with it and they gain DR (Force Field) based on inner strength, or Will in this instance. I worked out numbers for what I thought would be balanced and I think it's fine to be able to add half Will (rounded down) as DR to someone without upsetting things.

The problem is that I don't know a good way to do that. And it gets even more bizarre if it's something like ST/10 levels of Duplication.

Anyone have any idea of how to do this? My initial thought was some variant on ST-Based but that's only for Innate Attacks. Note that because I know it comes up in similar questions, the point is that there isn't a maximum (or at least it's not known). Thank you ahead of time.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: Afflicting levels of traits based on target

I would build it as Affliction with the granted advantage to your maximum level, and then add a home-built limitation of being limited to target's Will/2 levels of the payload advantage. I would probably look at limitations like Accessibility, and would probably eyeball it to something like -10% to -20%

Do note that this kind of limitation is a bit annoying, as if your full power is below typical Will/2, or 5, it's not a limitation at all! Just about anyone could benefit from your full power. To get a fair assessment for the limitation, one would need to go into statistical analysis about the distribution of Will in the population.

But anyway, just eye-balling it, if you're able to grant 10 levels, and any one target only benefits of up to their Will/2 levels, I might be willing to accept something like -10%, and if your full power is something like 15+ levels (and thus requiring Will 30+ to fully benefit from!) I would be probably willing to accept something like -20% to -40%, as you're practically always limited to something like 1/2 or 1/3 of your full power.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Re: Afflicting levels of traits based on target

Could the power be turned into a modifier for the character's Will?

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote