Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #21
warhorse11h

Default Re: Fright Checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Having a higher IQ should not make one less prone to being frightened.
It would, but my last comment was referring to the likelihood of one obtaining the IQ requisite to make use of WOC Flee, which is 20. Most balanced build characters are unlikely to obtain that IQ level, under rules as written.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #22
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
So...
Do fright checks work like traps? X/IQ or be frightened? Would an unexpected gruesome scene, the afore mentioned ghoul eating a fresh kill, be a 3/IQ fright check while confronting a cosmic horror under any circumstances rate a 7/IQ fright check?

What Talents might influence the number of dice rolled for a fright check?
Really, I think you've kind of hit the main issue on the head. A Fright Check isn't really a function of IQ -- a stupid person might not be frightened at all of something that a smarter person sees can easily kill everyone in the surrounding area (but would still fail the X/IQ check suggested here and thus run away). This is where the original suggestion kind of came off the rails, as I recall.

Perhaps it's a new kind of mechanism -- creatures have a "frightfulness" factor assigned to them, and the Players have to roll against that number instead of one of their own characteristics; though that idea assumes that everyone always reacts to the creature in the same way, which presumably wouldn't be true either.

Or maybe there's a secondary characteristic (like the personality traits you can roll up to flesh out your character) that they have to roll against -- call it "willpower" or "Courage" or something. The problem here is that I generally prefer players to ROLEPLAY that stuff instead of assigning numbers to them, but the problem there is that you CAN be startled or frightened by something unexpected or unexpectedly horrifying, regardless of how brave you are when you knowingly walk into a dangerous situation, so their OUGHT to be a way for that to happen.

I keep hoping someone will come up with some kind of brilliant (yet simple) mechanism that takes all of these issues into account, but so far I have certainly failed to!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:12 AM   #23
warhorse11h

ITL LE does not provide much to create a background for a fright check. The only examples where it talks about fear or fright are listed below. If someone else has other examples, please point them out.

ITL LE pg 133, Panic, provides rules for panicked riding animals and uses rolls vs the IQ of the animal and or rider.

ITL LE pg 84, provides the following, " If a ghost tries to scare someone, the victim must make a 4-die saving roll on IQ if they weren’t expecting the ghost, and a 3-die roll if they were. Failure to make the roll means they flee in mindless terror, and will refuse to try again for a week (at least). Success means that that ghost can never frighten that person. "

Both make use of die rolls vs IQ, which is the most suitable of the three available attributes in TFT.

A high IQ does not per se guarantee bravery in a situation. But IQ in TFT is not solely a representation of intelligence. Its also a reflection of knowledge, experience, training, willpower, determination, morale, morals, etc. All of these and more can affect how one reacts to fear.

I do not have an answer to the issue of fright checks either, but if one is found, it will likely relate to IQ in some way.

I think it might be necessary to portray it two ways. One for PCs and one for NPCs and monsters.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #24
hcobb

When will we see a roll to miss IQ check? Only those who fail to comprehend the situation are brave enough to face this monster.

Otherwise the bravest man you know is the party's party girl par excellence, your goblin sorceress.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #25
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
When will we see a roll to miss IQ check? Only those who fail to comprehend the situation are brave enough to face this monster.

Otherwise the bravest man you know is the party's party girl par excellence, your goblin sorceress.
She might very well be. Wizard, somewhat scholarly, routinely deals with things outside the normal world, through her training already experienced with unnatural things, etc.

It wouldn't mean she wouldn't be able to exercise discretion over valor, but she wouldn't be fleeing in mindless terror either. She would possibly be moving at best possible speed out of the area, as a result of a conscious rational decision that is was time to be somewhere else.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #26
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Perhaps it's a new kind of mechanism -- creatures have a "frightfulness" factor assigned to them, and the Players have to roll against that number instead of one of their own characteristics; though that idea assumes that everyone always reacts to the creature in the same way, which presumably wouldn't be true either.
That's pretty much what I'm suggesting. I don't think that this approach necessarily means everyone reacts in the same way--just that all characters have an equal chance making their unmodified roll. If the character is a seasoned, brave adventurer, give them a bonus, or, if they fail their roll, just minimize the effect instead of having them flee in terror. Even the bravest of the brave can be momentarily stunned when encountering the horrifying.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #27
hcobb

Stunned for a number of turns equal to amount roll failed by, run away on critical failure?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #28
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Then WOC:Flee
Fear would be a single target thrown spell, WoF: Flee works on anyone who can hear it.

I agree that is doesn't make people scared, just forces them to flee.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 PM   #29
KevinJ

ITL Pg 14.
Personality – roll 2 dice for each
Feel free to determine any of these for yourself, rather than
rolling!
Bravery 12 (very brave) to 2 (total coward).

Roll 1-4 dice against Bravery to flee in terror. Something particularly scary things might impart a -1-3 to DX and IQ saves even if you make your Bravery roll.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:35 AM   #30
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
ITL Pg 14.
Personality – roll 2 dice for each
Feel free to determine any of these for yourself, rather than
rolling!
Bravery 12 (very brave) to 2 (total coward).

Roll 1-4 dice against Bravery to flee in terror. Something particularly scary things might impart a -1-3 to DX and IQ saves even if you make your Bravery roll.
A thought, based on other posts on this forum, you could even allow the expenditure of experience points to increase these abilities just as for attributes.

Tags
horror, tft