Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #71
Anthony

Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
My latest post is Tactical Shooting: Predator, where I look at a counterattack against a Predator.
Hm. This might actually be Suppression Fire (B409) which would negate the -6 penalty for vision (at a cost of capping his skill at 8 and forcing him to all-out attack, which may be a worthwhile trade under those conditions.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #72
Chico Caldwell

I'd be curious to hear Grey Tiger's thoughts on the general level of realism (or lack thereof) in the TV show Strike Back. Maybe he can tackle one of the many shoot-outs from that series on Shooting Dice at some point.

I've found it to be an enjoyable, but not perfect, special ops/intel action series and a good model for a modern day style RPG setting with just a couple PC's.
Chico Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #73
HANS

My latest post is Ultra-Tech: Armat M41A. Yeah, I know, the pulse rifle is not exactly a new topic, but after my annual Aliens viewing this year I decided to return to my original write-up from 1998 and reexamine it.

Cheers

HANS
Old 10-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #74
Christopher R. Rice

So. Shineh. *_*

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #75
The_Ryujin

Quote:
My latest post is Ultra-Tech: Armat M41A. Yeah, I know, the pulse rifle is not exactly a new topic, but after my annual Aliens viewing this year I decided to return to my original write-up from 1998 and reexamine it.

Cheers

HANS
Nice. I'd like to see more posts like this, can never have too many guns stated up heh.

Also you can pulse a 18g bullet 10,000 times off of a TL9 B cell? Looks like I need to revisit my assumptions on how much power it takes to fire an ETC round...

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #76
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Also you can pulse a 18g bullet 10,000 times off of a TL9 B cell? Looks like I need to revisit my assumptions on how much power it takes to fire an ETC round...
I don't think it's ETC. It looks like just electric ignition of an otherwise conventional (if caseless) round.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #77
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I don't think it's ETC. It looks like just electric ignition of an otherwise conventional (if caseless) round.
True but in all reality it shouldn't require significantly more energy to spark a ceaseless round then it should need to flash the water with aluminum nano particles use to propel an ETC round. Granted it will need more but not a huge amount more.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 10-17-2016, 04:18 AM   #78
HANS

Quote:
Absolutely. The TL8 Voere VEC91 in 5.7×28mm UCC got 5,000 pulsed shots out of two small photo batteries. There can be absolutely no doubt that a TL9 B powercell can deliver 10,000 pulsed shots.

Cheers

HANS
Old 10-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #79
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Absolutely. The TL8 Voere VEC91 in 5.7×28mm UCC got 5,000 pulsed shots out of two small photo batteries. There can be absolutely no doubt that a TL9 B powercell can deliver 10,000 pulsed shots.

Cheers

HANS
Yeah, looking at my figures I was over assuming the energy needed, in all reality if a battery or power cell has enough energy to power a flash bulb it's got more then enough to spark the propellant. ETC is still going to need a little more since its propellant is inert. Oh well, the more data points I get the more correct my models are going to be.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #80
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Yeah, looking at my figures I was over assuming the energy needed, in all reality if a battery or power cell has enough energy to power a flash bulb it's got more then enough to spark the propellant. ETC is still going to need a little more since its propellant is inert. Oh well, the more data points I get the more correct my models are going to be.
I think there may be some confusion here.

Electrical-ignition guns like the Voere VEC91 or the Armat M41A have chemical propellant and a primer. The difference is that the primer is designed to be ignited electrically, rather than by a firing pin. This doesn't take much power: the trick is to require enough that the primers don't get set off by static electricity. You don't need enough electrical power to ignite the propellant directly.

The M41A being caseless doesn't change this very much. The propellant is a solid block glued to the projectile, and the primer is embedded in or glued to the rear of the propellant. At least, that's that way the H&K G11 worked, and it's the best example we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-Tech p139
Electrothermal-Chemical
(ETC) (TL9-10)

These weapons augment chemical energy with electri-
cal power. A controlled plasma burn provides a smoother
and more complete utilization of propellant, increasing
the projectile velocity without a significant increase in
recoil.
The electrical power is enough to alter the burning conditions for the propellant, but the chemical energy from the propellant is still important.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blogs, gun fu, guns, high-tech, martial arts, tactical shooting