Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
BillSeurer

Default IQ 20 fighters? Skill Points instead of IQ!

We played TFT for many years back when it was (first) new and a minor issue that we had was the drift of ever higher IQs for traditionally non-brainy character types who just wanted a few more skills. So what we did was allow characters to purchase "skill points" instead of IQ.

Each Skill Point (SP) gave you two more points to spend on skills/spells but you were still limited by your IQ as to which ones you could pick. So something with IQ 9 and SP 1 could get 11 points worth of skills/spells instead of just 9 but could only select from the IQ 9 and lower lists.
BillSeurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: IQ 20 fighters? Skill Points instead of IQ!

I think Steve has proposed something like this for the new edition. There was a lengthy thread about it some time ago.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
BillSeurer

Good! I looked through the first 6 or 7 pages and didn't see anything though.
BillSeurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
I hadn't realised how many threads and posts there have been! Couldn't find it but I'm sure I read it somewhere.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
Yeah, that's why I linked to the latest rules drafts in threads like that in my thread index post. The experience rules draft is post #135 (see link in my thread index).
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Yeah, that's why I linked to the latest rules drafts in threads like that in my thread index post. The experience rules draft is post #135 (see link in my thread index).
Aha, I knew someone more organised than myself would have that. Well done Zot!
Old 08-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
Nils_Lindeberg

I think one of the most common homebrew rules people use is the so called mIQ or a separate memory stat for extra talent points.

The latest now from Steve is that you will be a able to buy extra talents directly for XP as an alternative to increasing your normal three attributes.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
TLR

I have been running a single large TFT campaign since 1980. We quickly decided we didn't like the "Uber-smart barbarian" tendencies of the cannonical skill-acquisition rules. I developed a point-based decoupling from IQ that we have used successfully for 38 years, now.

First, at build-time, each character receives a fixed amount of points (depends on the game/campaign, but 50 points works well for "low-level" characters, and 60 points for "heroic" characters; 75 points is "epic", and 100 points is "mythic" - and very probably too unbalanced for most games). All attributes cost 1 point per attribute-point (just like normal). There generally has to be a pretty good backstory to justify attributes over 20 (Olympic-grade athletes), and attributes of 30 or more are definitely world-beating.

Skills and spells are bought just like attributes, using the official "cost". Thus, Polearms cost 2 build-points for a non-wizard, or 4 build-points for a wizard. Spells are bought just like skills, but wizards pay 1 per spell, and non-wizards pay 3 per spell. Skills and Spells must still be within the IQ capabilities of the character to be useble (and a pretty convincing backstory would be required to possess skills/spells the character doesn't currently have the IQ for).

In play, Attributes are purchased for experience, according to a variant of the "official" tables as amended by the Fantasy Master's Codex (©1981 by Metagaming), based on the current attribute-points:

<08......XP:25
<16......XP:50
<24......XP:75
<32......XP:100
<37......XP:125
<41......XP:250
<46......XP:1,000
<51......XP:3,000
<56......XP:5,000
<+5......XP:5,000*2^UP((<current points>-50)/5)

Where UP() means "round up to the next integer value". This gives a power-sequence for totals above 60: 10K, 20K, 40K, 80K, etc.
New Skills (and spells) have a cost based on current total-knowledge (KNO) divided by IQ:

XP = Cost*100*5^INT(KNO/IQ)

This means the Experience-Cost of new skills/spells is equal to the cannonical "point-cost", times 100, further multiplied by a factor of 5 for each multiple of the character's current IQ that known skills total.

Thus, Alchemy has a base Experience-Cost of 3*100 = 300 points if your total skills are currently less than or equal to your IQ. Up to 2*IQ, the cost would be 3*100*5 = 1,500; Up to 3*IQ, the cost is 3*100*25 = 7,500; etc.
This means IQ and skills are still loosely-coupled, but does not typically result in "Einstein the Barbarian" in 35 years of playtesting.

We also have a system for "Skill-Levels", that encourages specialization. That is a little more complicated (not much, but would take another post to explain). Levels work very well for weapon-skills and most spells. We don't currently have level-effects for most non-combat skills or several "Special" spells.

============================================

I am signing up to run three demo-sessions of using these modifications to In the Labyrinth (original rules - hopefully still compatible with the rewrite) at TsunamiCon (http://www.tsunamicon.org/gaming-and...d-information/), in Wichita, just after the SJ-Games Melee/Wizard demos. These will consist of both explanation and question-and-answer about the modifications, as well as the advantages (and very few limitations) of using this rulesystem for long-running Campaign games, and a moderately-long introductory scenario in my current (35 year old) gameworld. Characters will be provided if you want, but part of the session is intended to show how to use my "house rules" to quickly build your own characters. Currently, I am limiting these to 6 players per session, but interested non-players are welcome to participate in the discussions (and watch the games, if that floats your boat).

Last edited by TLR; 08-24-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
TLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
TLR

The demo-sessions each had only one person signed up to play, but were in actually so popular that I ended up running four sessions, all packed!

I even created/joined a new gaming group, to play TFT in Wichita!
TLR is offline   Reply With Quote