Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
Peaches

Default [MA] (Cinematic?) Whip Technique: Four Corners

Whips are Unbalanced, and become Unready after an attack or a parry, requiring a Ready maneuver using a two yard long whip or two Ready maneuvers using a three yard or longer whip. The Four Corners technique seemingly allows the user to attack repeatedly with no difficulty (the man in the linked video seems to also be using Dual Weapon Attack in combination with this technique too!).

I want to take a stab at modeling this as a Defensive Attack technique. I think it would be this technique, with instantaneous readying of the whip as an additional Special Benefit for -2. The final default for the technique would be -7, and require the Unique Technique perk (arguably though if the technique can be performed IRL, the perk could be forgone).

Does this seem like a valid technique?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
Dingle

Default Re: [MA] (Cinematic?) Whip Technique: Four Corners

I don't think there's anything that says the whip shouldn't be still moving around during the ready.
This is what I think is occurring in the video.
I think the technique shown in the video might only lead to effective attacks every second or third crack to allow the wielder to change the angle of attack as otherwise the whip is always coming from the same direction.
At 2 cracks a second, this is still equivalent to a 1 second ready maneuver.

OTOH, a cinematic technique seems worth having.
Maybe increase defenses against it a bit (telegraphic attack) due to the consistency of the movements to bring the default back to reasonable levels.
Dingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
Whips are Unbalanced, and become Unready after an attack or a parry, requiring a Ready maneuver using a two yard long whip or two Ready maneuvers using a three yard or longer whip. The Four Corners technique seemingly allows the user to attack repeatedly with no difficulty (the man in the linked video seems to also be using Dual Weapon Attack in combination with this technique too!).
I see no attacks at all in that. He doesn't attempt to hit anything, or as far as I can tell even cause the whip to crack at the same points in space every time - whatever that white bit is certainly doesn't retrace the same path every cycle. Looks to me like an example of Whip Art.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Peaches

Default Re: [MA] (Cinematic?) Whip Technique

I've been mulling the idea of the technique over a bit, and I might just forgo basing it upon any realistic whip technique and be cinematic. I think what I've outlined so far is good enough for Castlevania-esque and Four Color whip stylists. The steep -7 default is OK, and as suggested in MA can't be bought above default unless the user has Weapon Master that includes the Whip skill.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Refplace

Ive seen this done lots of times.
I would call it a special case of Ready where you using the motion of the whip to Ready itself but only to strike another corner.
Telegraphic Attack is a must here. And you cant do it just anywhere.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinematic, martial arts, technique, whip