Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #651
PK

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Damn, I had convinced myself that today was the day that this book would finally come out.
'Twould have been nice, yes. Did you guys at least find the consolation present I left you?

Quote:
I disagree, Hellboy is very very close to invulnerable and often takes on beings of immense power. Blade's power levels have creeped in both directions over the years, but he's never been one of the heavy hitters.
For the record, BPRD/Hellboy was one of my sources of inspiration, but with the understanding that some the characters (including Hellboy himself) are far more powerful than what I wanted in a MH game. But the concept, the tone, the plots, and all that were definitely in the back of my mind as I wrote.

In other words, MH will be great for running a BPRD game . . . as long as you understand that you'll be playing one of the "backup teams." :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #652
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
'Twould have been nice, yes. Did you guys at least find the consolation present I left you?

Would the consolation present be the GCA files? While nice, I'd really prefer to give you money and get my hands on those books. You need to find the artist who is holding everything up and put him to the whip.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #653
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Would the consolation present be the GCA files?
Only in part . . .

Quote:
While nice, I'd really prefer to give you money and get my hands on those books.
I do like money. And I do enjoy having my books come out. Yes, I must agree, that would be a nice circumstance!

BTW, regarding the spectacular seven hunters, I'd have to throw in Owen "Z" Pitt, from Monster Hunter International, as the best choice for a commando. Yes, he's a bit of a Mary Sue, but (A) that's not his fault and (B) the 'chosen one' lens exists for a reason. :)

Constantine would make a nice crusader as well; he's certainly one of the people I had in mind when working on Mysticism.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #654
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Only in part . . .

I do like money. And I do enjoy having my books come out. Yes, I must agree, that would be a nice circumstance!

BTW, regarding the spectacular seven hunters, I'd have to throw in Owen "Z" Pitt, from Monster Hunter International, as the best choice for a commando. Yes, he's a bit of a Mary Sue, but (A) that's not his fault and (B) the 'chosen one' lens exists for a reason. :)

Constantine would make a nice crusader as well; he's certainly one of the people I had in mind when working on Mysticism.
Owen is a shoe-in, I know that's why I didn't mention him...Constantine as in Hellblazer? Wouldn't he be better as a Witch?

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #655
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
More suggestions:

Remy Chandler, an angel who's also in the phone book (as a private investigator, not an angel).

Felix Castor, freelance exorcist.

Peter Grant, London constable and wizard-in-training. Has only mastered a few spells so far, but bright and adaptable.

James Stark, aka Sandman Slim, a natural born magician (due to being a fnord) who's been to Hell and back - literally. He was a champion pit fighter ...

Sonya Blue, action vampire chick before they were a genre unto themselves.

Charlie McGee, psi with firepower - ba dum dum.

Egon Spengler.

Alec Hardison and Eliot Spencer - package deal.
I'm not familiar with any of these. Can you provide sources - i.e.book, comic, RPG, movie, TV series. Not too important just userful, however, as I'll do a web search when I get the chance.

Thanks
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #656
griffin

Quote:
Only in part . . .

Thanks. I'll have to check out MHI and eventually Constantine if it's available on Netfix instant view.

So little time and so many sources.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #657
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Dr. McNinja, from the eponymous comic...
The names too goofy for my tastes. He'd be banned for the name alone.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #658
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
The names too goofy for my tastes. He'd be banned for the name alone.
Admittedly, he is a very goofy character, and it isn't a serious comic at all, but he is still a kick-ass monster hunter:p
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #659
vitruvian

Got another candidate - Ray Lilly from Harry Connolly's Twenty Palaces series. He's not very high level himself, being a former small-time crook (mostly auto theft) working as low man on the totem pole for a small group that hunts down dangerous magic and summoned creatures, which to their mind is any magic not under their control and any summoned creatures whatsoever (to be fair, this has been quite true so far). His job as 'wooden man' is actually to be distracting cannon fodder drawing the bad guys' attention and probably dying while the more powerful agent actually deals with the problem, but he's more resourceful than that.

Excellent hand to hand skills, criminal background and skills, excellent detective instincts with no real training, quick thinker, and tough. Also has a number of magical tattoos rendering the parts of his body (mainly chest and forearms) covered both numb and immune to most damage including bullets, but only those parts, immunizing him against most magical mental influence, and making him not Zeroed, but unlikely to be identified by forensic analysis and therefore called legally to account for the shenanigans. He has one 'spell' (really more of an enchantment or a Gadget advantage) he cast himself, a 'ghost knife' (actually just an innocuous piece of laminated paper with a sigil) that cuts through anything dead or inanimate, or can affect the spirit of living things, taking the fight and willpower out of human beings temporarily; this last item is kind of a part of him, so he can fling it, direct its path to some degree, and then call it back to him. Handy for slicing through guns, locks, walls that are thin enough, or subduing assailants, sometimes simultaneously.

No idea which template he'd fit, or even how you'd handle some of the magic in GURPS terms.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #660
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Got another candidate - Ray Lilly from Harry Connolly's Twenty Palaces series. He's not very high level himself, being a ...

Excellent hand to hand skills, criminal background and skills, excellent detective instincts with no real training, quick thinker, and tough. Also has a number of magical tattoos rendering the parts of his body (mainly chest and forearms) covered both numb and immune to most damage including bullets, but only those parts, immunizing him against most magical mental influence, and making him not Zeroed, but unlikely to be identified by forensic analysis and therefore called legally to account for the shenanigans. He has one 'spell' (really more of an enchantment or a Gadget advantage) he cast himself, a 'ghost knife' (actually just an innocuous piece of laminated paper with a sigil) that cuts through anything dead or inanimate, or can affect the spirit of living things, taking the fight and willpower out of human beings temporarily; this last item is kind of a part of him, so he can fling it, direct its path to some degree, and then call it back to him. Handy for slicing through guns, locks, walls that are thin enough, or subduing assailants, sometimes simultaneously.

No idea which template he'd fit, or even how you'd handle some of the magic in GURPS terms.
In GURPS terms he sounds like he'd fit in. Points-wise he sounds more expensive than some of the characters I've included - definitely more expensive than Buffy. Power-wise, I think he'd be a good fit. Thanks for the reference, I'll give it a look.

Tags
monster hunters