Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Unkillable 2 + Supernatural Durability?

Supernatural Durability only allows you to die if you are damaged by your weakness or by one hit that does 10x your HP in one hit. Unkillable 2 won't let you really die at all, you just sort of fall unconscious and leave behind indestructible remains at -10xHP.

How would these two interact? My thought is that the Supernatural Durability would negate the falling unconscious at -10xHP of Unkillable 2, and the Unkillable 2 would negate the truly dying parts of Supernatural Durability.

So if you had both, you'd keep going until "killed" as per Supernatural Durability no matter how low your HP was (potentially way past -10xHP), but then, as per Unkillable 2, you'd be unconscious and instantly "healed" back to -10xHP, at which point you'd start to recover.

Does that seem right?

Of course, anyone with both would be truly frightening, but the combo seems necessary to truly do something like Jason.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Tyneras

Default Re: Unkillable 2 + Supernatural Durability?

Yeah, I would treat it as regular Supernatural Durability, except that when you would be killed (weakness or 10xHP single hit) you revert to your indestructible state and heal from there.

Starting your healing from -10xHP, even if you were reduced to -1,000,000xHP from a hail of bullets seems like a nice synergy between the advantages. I would allow it.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Anthony

Taking 10x hp in one hit would probably render you unconscious (with normal recovery rules as per UK2).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Supernatural Durability only allows you to die if you are damaged by your weakness or by one hit that does 10x your HP in one hit. Unkillable 2 won't let you really die at all, you just sort of fall unconscious and leave behind indestructible remains at -10xHP.

How would these two interact? My thought is that the Supernatural Durability would negate the falling unconscious at -10xHP of Unkillable 2, and the Unkillable 2 would negate the truly dying parts of Supernatural Durability.

So if you had both, you'd keep going until "killed" as per Supernatural Durability no matter how low your HP was (potentially way past -10xHP), but then, as per Unkillable 2, you'd be unconscious and instantly "healed" back to -10xHP, at which point you'd start to recover.

Does that seem right?
I believe that Unkillable 2 prevents you from going below -10xHP, screening you from dying from that extreme damage. UK2 will automatically make any rolls to survive blows from your "specific item" required by Supernatural Durability or a Vulnrabilty, but since you don't get a roll to survive the "specific item" or a Vulnerability at -5xHP, they can still kill you.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
UK2 will automatically make any rolls to survive blows from your "specific item" required by Supernatural Durability or a Vulnrabilty, but since you don't get a roll to survive the "specific item" or a Vulnerability at -5xHP, they can still kill you.
That's UK1. UK2 cannot be killed by damage, and there's no reason SD would make it worse.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That's UK1. UK2 cannot be killed by damage, and there's no reason SD would make it worse.
Indeed. Personally, were I to build something with UK2+SD, I'd probably apply the "No Unkillable 1" Limitation to UK, so the character is able to "die" above -HPx5 when hit by its weakness. At first glance I would have built this as just putting an Achilles Heel Limitation on UK1, but really once you do that there's no point in having UK1 if you have SD.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
UK2 can't be killed by the amount of damage. SD's description *does* contain a new death condition, which is conditional on the source of the damaging wound. It usually doesn't make things worse, because most would people die of trauma before it would affect them. UK2 extends life past -5xHP, when the "you die, no save" condition kicks in, though ironically UK2 prevents additional damage at the -10xHP, when you can no longer be wounded so the Vulnerability and the specific item stop being a threat.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supernatural durability, unkillable