Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #681
aesir23

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Did you guys at least find the consolation present I left you?
Yes, very nice.

I'm especially intrigued by the path names I've never seen before.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #682
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Original Night Stalker. I only saw one episode of the new version.
Huh. Wouldn't Kolchak be long dead by your time frame, unless he got turned by the second vampire he encountered or something?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 AM   #683
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Huh. Wouldn't Kolchak be long dead by your time frame, unless he got turned by the second vampire he encountered or something?
If you are referring to my GURPS Monster Hunter 2060 campaign and yes, the original Kolchak would be dead. However, his grandson is still alive running a net site where he writes about monsters. Also there is an A-Team Securities and Investigations which is based in California as a very small local company founded and run by decendants of the origianl A-Team. Please note, I am taking liberties with the original source material. My assumption is the original would conform to MY vision of how it would have been if I'd had control of the series/movies/books in question.

If you're talking about Seven Monster Hunters, Kolchak need not apply. He's a Contact or minor Ally. The Seven all need to be champion level characters.
Given that the campaign would be set in 2011, I'd think Kolchak could still be alive though probably retired.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #684
Christopher R. Rice

I am soooo totally okay with the book being delayed for art, because it was custom art drawn by Rod Reis. HELL YES!

(see here for more info)

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #685
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I am soooo totally okay with the book being delayed for art, because it was custom art drawn by Rod Reis. HELL YES!

(see here for more info)

Ghostdancer
Meh.

Hearing that a game book I'm excited about has been delayed to wait for pictures to put in it is about equivalent to learning that my dinner has been pushed back while they wait for someone to compose appropriate lyrics to chant while I eat it.

It's not something that I consider essential to the experience and it is certainly not something I view as worth waiting for.

I guess I'll just have to accept that a distressingly large segment of humanity apparently values aesthetics over function when it comes to game rules.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #686
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Meh.

Hearing that a game book I'm excited about has been delayed to wait for pictures to put in it is about equivalent to learning that my dinner has been pushed back while they wait for someone to compose appropriate lyrics to chant while I eat it.

It's not something that I consider essential to the experience and it is certainly not something I view as worth waiting for.

I guess I'll just have to accept that a distressingly large segment of humanity apparently values aesthetics over function when it comes to game rules.
All I got to say is art and rules go hand in hand...look at GURPS Magic the art is as much the issue as some of the rules for certain folks.

I think we'll get it around mid-April myself.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #687
PK

Ahem.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #688
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Yet if you attend a diner that advertises its chanting quality, and you know the chanting is coming, and also know that the quality of the chanting is at least part of the reason that many of the patrons chose to eat there, surely you can understand the importance placed upon getting the lyrics right, yes?

Anyway, look at it this way -- artwork often takes a while to get, regardless of who's doing it. So now that the artwork is in and the path ahead is clear, isn't it nice that the artwork happens to be something that beautifully fits the theme and feel of the book? Must you "meh" those who are happy to see an extra level of quality being added to this supplement -- even if it is in a format that adds no extra value for you, personally? Remember that happiness experienced on behalf of others is still happiness experienced!

Quote:
Speaking as a poster, not as a mod, that's a distressingly large and subtly condescending brush with which you are painting. First, you imply strongly that anyone who isn't like you in finding zero use for gaming art must "value aesthetics over function" -- as opposed to a more accurate description, such as, "feel that aesthetics are part of a book's value." (The distinction is not an insignificant one!) And second, by bemoaning how "distressing" it is, you belittle them as a group whose members must be lesser beings in comparison to yourself, for it causes you anxiety and worry when you think about how many people fall under this category.

I'm not looking to start an argument over this, mind you. I just want to point out that you're coming across as rather dismissive of everyone who doesn't feel like you do. I'm fairly certain you weren't intending to convey a sense of noblesse oblige, so this is a heads up that you were.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #689
JMason

Still, in this digital age it would be nice if the book was offered for sale with a big warning letting the consumer know that art has not yet arrived.

Of course I no nothing of digital publishing and so do not know if layout dictates art, or if it is the other way around (in which case the above would be imposable).
JMason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #690
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Still, in this digital age it would be nice if the book was offered for sale with a big warning letting the consumer know that art has not yet arrived.

Of course I no nothing of digital publishing and so do not know if layout dictates art, or if it is the other way around (in which case the above would be imposable).
Would likely raise serious issues with formatting and page references, I'd think, though I suppose one could make art-sized holes in the text and fill them later.

But I really don't see SJG doing that. Their practice seems to be that games should be beautiful. This doesn't just mean "nice art," but "edited to within an inch of its life," "better researched than most historical productions," and "able to game out most things within a set of expections while giving believable results (not REALISTIC. . .BELIEVABLE)."

Given they completely reworked the cover of Basic Set because of bad aesthetic feedback on the art from their fan base, it's also clear that many, if not most, customers reward them for this.

Just think of how many have commented on the practical, kinesthetic, and aesthetic benefits of the freakin' PAPER in Low Tech.

All this stuff matters to the buying public, and not just in RPGs. It's true of houses, cars, and lawn appliances as well.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters