Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2021, 06:37 AM   #11
Stormcrow

Default Re: Voyagers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
I'd say it's Signature Gear. Otherwise, it'll get taken and you'll have to treat it like Signature Gear, anyway.

As in, you'll have to give the PC a chance to get it back, since otherwise the time travel campaign is over and the PC needs to get a job to survive.
The GM can give chances to get it back without it being Signature Gear. And if it's truly lost, the Voyager Board will just locate the Voyagers and bring them back to headquarters, probably to face an inquiry, but that's (a) also part of the adventure and (b) not necessarily the end of the campaign, since a successful outcome could lead to a new Omni and a new assignment.

I very much want to resist all the pressure to turn the Omni into a character-built object. Doing so does not make a hypothetical game of this run any better. The Omni is just a way to get from adventure to adventure and to make quick escapes.

To put it another way: ISWAT agents don't get their conveyor as a character-built device. Why should Voyagers get their Omni as one?

Last edited by Stormcrow; 05-08-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #12
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I very much want to resist all the pressure to turn the Omni into a character-built object. Doing so does not make a hypothetical game of this run any better. The Omni is just a way to get from adventure to adventure and to make quick escapes.
It seemed like they could use it at will even if doing so might get them in trouble later (which is just a Pact limitation).

Quote:
To put it another way: ISWAT agents don't get their conveyor as a character-built device. Why should Voyagers get their Omni as one?
Usually there are a couple of reasons:
1) Conveyors often aren't under they player's direct control. In the first campaign I played, it just dropped them off and picked them up (like a train, plane, or bus). It was a plot device like a starship to get you to where the adventure happens then take you home for debriefing afterwards.

2) Conveyors cannot be brought with you and they transport anyone equally well. They are essentially a high tech vehicle that has a special transportation method.

Conversely Jumper is a player advantage because you have easy access, can be used at will, isn't just a plot device to get you into the action, and isn't something that can be bought or leased.

As presently described the Omni seems more a personal gadget than mass transport anyone can hop on if they follow the right instructions. If the Omni just dropped off Voyagers! outside of their control and didn't take them anywhere until time was fixed, then sure, it's just a plot device. That's more like Quantum Leap, though, than this show.

Last edited by naloth; 05-08-2021 at 12:48 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #13
Stormcrow

We're clearly not going to agree on this. As this is my thread and I'm looking for suggestions for Jeffrey, not challenges to my take on time travel technology, I'd appreciate it if we could stick to the topic.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #14
naloth

Quote:
We're clearly not going to agree on this. As this is my thread and I'm looking for suggestions for Jeffrey, not challenges to my take on time travel technology, I'd appreciate it if we could stick to the topic.
I thought the point was to stat them up in such a way that they could be used in a game somewhere?

It wasn't a challenge to time travel technology. It was a statement that when characters can travel in time whenever they like, it's probably worth noting on the character sheet and charging a few points for it as an advantage. You can discard that as you like, but it seems a lot like writing up Thor without mentioning that that hammer that's fundamental to his character.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #15
jason taylor

That was a great show. It didn't make it clear who they were working for though.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

I loved this show as a very young kid. Sadly, I don't remember much other than I could have sword Bogg was a dimwit not knowing even the very most basic of major events. Obviously this was for the young audience, but if modeling the TV show...

I'd also not want to model the Omni as it's just a setting feature necessary for the adventures to occur in the first place.
If it only functioned for some of the party, then things would be different. I don't remember if the kid was literally incapable of using it though.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:23 PM   #17
Stormcrow

Jeffrey could use the Omni just fine. There wasn't much to it: set the dials and press the button.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #18
James P

Quote:
As this is my thread and I'm looking for suggestions for Jeffrey, not challenges to my take on time travel technology, I'd appreciate it if we could stick to the topic.
Actually, the point was the first thing you said:

"for fun".

Guess I misunderstood?
James P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:25 PM   #19
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
Actually, the point was the first thing you said:

"for fun".

Guess I misunderstood?
I don't get the impression that Stormcrow was having any fun with this argument.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote