Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Goober4473

Default "Final Rest" With Advantages

How could you mimic the effects of the Final Rest spell with advantages. An Malediction Affliction would be a likely carrier, but what disadvantages/advantages would apply?

Immunity to being raised as an undead would probably be an advantage, but how about immunity to resurrection?
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Jerander

Default Re: "Final Rest" With Advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober4473 View Post
How could you mimic the effects of the Final Rest spell with advantages. An Malediction Affliction would be a likely carrier, but what disadvantages/advantages would apply?

Immunity to being raised as an undead would probably be an advantage, but how about immunity to resurrection?
Affliction (Negated Advantage, Unkillable X)? Or Affliction (Negated Advantage, Extra Life)?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Goober4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Affliction (Negated Advantage, Unkillable X)? Or Affliction (Negated Advantage, Extra Life)?
Those would definitely need to be in there, but how about summoning the creature's spirit, or using Alternate Form to turn it into a zombie, or using necromancy spells on it?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

Antoni Ten Munros answered this pretty well with his Aura of Mortality in his Auras of Power article (p. 9) in Tools of the Trade: Clerics. Basically add negated advantage Unkillable. :-)

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Rhoanna

Quote:

The perk Covenant of Rest, in Power Ups 2, is pretty similar in effects. It does have the detail of a god/spirit bestowing it, and needing to keep them somewhat happy, tho.
Rhoanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Jerander

Quote:
Those would definitely need to be in there, but how about summoning the creature's spirit, or using Alternate Form to turn it into a zombie, or using necromancy spells on it?
One of the forms of Unkillable stipulates that the new life could be an undead form, so I think negating Unkillable would remove the possibility of being reanimated in any way. Unkillable 3 puts your spirit someplace remote and inaccessible until you come back to life, so negating Unkillable 3 should make it so your spirit cannot be summoned, etc.

So I think that's how I'd do it. Affliction (Extended Duration, Permanent; Negated Advantage, Unkillable 3).
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Goober4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoanna View Post
The perk Covenant of Rest, in Power Ups 2, is pretty similar in effects. It does have the detail of a god/spirit bestowing it, and needing to keep them somewhat happy, tho.
Which is all good, but it does mention that if magic such as Fianl Rest exists, it should probably be toned down, and it has no effect on the target's own abiltiy to come back. It also requries that you personally kill the target, rather than use an ability on it either after it's dead, or before it's killed by anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
One of the forms of Unkillable stipulates that the new life could be an undead form, so I think negating Unkillable would remove the possibility of being reanimated in any way. Unkillable 3 puts your spirit someplace remote and inaccessible until you come back to life, so negating Unkillable 3 should make it so your spirit cannot be summoned, etc.

So I think that's how I'd do it. Affliction (Extended Duration, Permanent; Negated Advantage, Unkillable 3).
That works.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Walrus

If it worth more than a perk it's some form of Blessed. Otherwise i'd start it's Rest in Pieces perk from PU2.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
JCurwen3

A simple Affliction of the Covenant of Rest perk will do it, according to Kromm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yep. I'd say that this amounts to:
Affliction 1 (Will vs. HT; Advantage, Covenant of Rest, +10%; Accessibility, Only on dead people killed by me, -80%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Malediction 1, +100%; Melee Attack, -30%) [25]
On a touch, roll Will vs. the HT of someone you've killed. If you win, he's unraisable. If you lose, try again . . . he isn't going anywhere. I'd probably call it Eternal Rest [25] or Corpse Defilement [25] to simplify the character sheet. In a campaign where Extra Life exists, and/or people spend hundreds of energy on Resurrection spells, and/or people spend small fortunes on potions to do the same, this ability's 25-point cost seems fair.
And if you want Resistant or full Immunity to this (and Final Rest):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Re: Immunity (Eternal Rest)

It seems fair to me. It would be a 5-point Immunity -- and easily worth the full 5 points, because it's a guarantee that if raising the dead is possible in the campaign, this PC will come back in one form or another. I'd game Resistant to Eternal Rest +3/+8 as giving +3/+8 to such spells as Resurrection and Zombie, to HT rolls to survive being raised by weird science, and to random odds of coming back as a ghost or a Being of Pure Thought. I'd also give -3/-8 to the Final Rest spell! I'd treat full Immunity to Eternal Rest as guaranteed failure on Final Rest and near-guaranteed success on reanimation or resurrection (say, except on a natural 17-18).

I'd still stick to 1 point for Covenant of Rest -- even though it's effectively Immunity to Resurrection/Reanimation and nominally worth 5 points, too -- because it takes the character out of play. It truly only matters when the player is in a situation where he'll never play his PC again. In effect, that's an extreme "Accessibility, Once in a lifetime" limitation, worth -80% and making the cost 1 point. It amounts to the player paying a point to get the GM to promise not to bring his PC back as a nasty monster.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Ulzgoroth

'Can't be resurrected' is the kind of thing that is probably a Quirk. (Unless resurrection is so ubiquitous as to really amount to everyone 'normal' having Unkillable 3 with some limitations, as seen in some transhuman fiction for instance, in which case you'd price it as 'No Resurrection Plan'.)