Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Methariel

Default A question on rules

Hello everybody,

maybe I just didn't find it in the core rules or the CPG, but I would like to know what happens to a human who is reduced to 0 Mind Hits. Since a human can't develop a Discord I'm questioning myself what happens instead of this.
In "You Are Here", p.28, first column it is written that a woman was attacked by the Ethereal Song of Entropy and died, the death was assumed a heart attack. So did she die because of being reduced to 0 Mind Hits or because she got a cardiac arrest out of fear? (The Ethereal version of the Song of Entropy is described as "bringing terror and nightmare" to its victims.)
Maybe someone knows the canon answer to this vexing question?

Methariel
Old 02-27-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
Glamourweaver

Default Re: A question on rules

I have humans develop derangements when they reach 0 Mind Hits. Essentially they mentally break & start to slip into insanity. In more severe cases (i.e. taking additional hits over with the killing blow) they might even slip into a coma with no physical cause (its completely psychological).
Glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
milliken

While humans can't get Discord, per se, they *can* get mental disadvantages; there should be something in the CPG about such things. I don't think there's anything that specifically mentions that happening as a side effect of mental combat, though.

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I believe that somewhere it is mentioned (or, *mutter*, should be) that what is a Discord for a celestial is a disadvantage for a human. (Barring, of course, the supernatural stuff like Aura or Vestigium -- though the latter could be made a case for with "Conjoined Twin" or something.)

So a human who has the problem would get a disad of an appropriate type.

The woman killed by the "fear-Song" probably got a heart attack because she was afraid. Maybe the GM was using GURPS and she critically failed her Fright Check. Maybe she had a weak heart to begin with.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
Methariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
I believe that somewhere it is mentioned that what is a Discord for a celestial is a disadvantage for a human.
Yes, I remember this being mentioned in the CPG, if I do so correctly.
So I thank you (and the others) for your help.
But I think humans only get Disadvantages (By the way, are they capitalized as I have written them? I'm too lazy to go and look through my CPG at the moment...) resembling Ethereal Discords, because a Celestial also would only be disformed by an Ethereal Discord if she's reduced to 0 Mind Hits. (So you won't have the problem of becoming obese because your brain was whacked a little...)

Quote:
The woman killed by the "fear-Song" probably got a heart attack because she was afraid. Maybe the GM was using GURPS and she critically failed her Fright Check. Maybe she had a weak heart to begin with.
Thanks for clearing up the matter.
But, by the way, you're writing that the GM was perhaps using GURPS. Isn't "You Are Here" older than GURPS In Nomine?
And, another question (that I hope isn't impolite): May I conclude out of your text that some of the material in "You Are Here" was created during game sessions and found so good that it had to be printed and made official?

Methariel
Old 02-28-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
Glamourweaver

Quote:
I believe that somewhere it is mentioned (or, *mutter*, should be) that what is a Discord for a celestial is a disadvantage for a human. (Barring, of course, the supernatural stuff like Aura or Vestigium -- though the latter could be made a case for with "Conjoined Twin" or something.)

So a human who has the problem would get a disad of an appropriate type.

Under In Nomine rules, "a critical failure of a Fright Check" would probably translate into the Demon casting the Song rolling 666.
Glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel
But I think humans only get Disadvantages (By the way, are they capitalized as I have written them? I'm too lazy to go and look through my CPG at the moment...) resembling Ethereal Discords, because a Celestial also would only be disformed by an Ethereal Discord if she's reduced to 0 Mind Hits. (So you won't have the problem of becoming obese because your brain was whacked a little...)
That's basically up to the GM -- In Nomine pretty much assumes that the GM has a firm grasp of the Rule of No, and the Rule of Only If I Think It Makes Sense.

Quote:
Thanks for clearing up the matter.
But, by the way, you're writing that the GM was perhaps using GURPS. Isn't "You Are Here" older than GURPS In Nomine?
I don't remember. I was mostly making a joke. O:> IN has no "fright check" mechanics, unless the GM picks something, so I was suggesting it as a plausible reason in a system that had them.

Quote:
And, another question (that I hope isn't impolite): May I conclude out of your text that some of the material in "You Are Here" was created during game sessions and found so good that it had to be printed and made official?
You can conclude that -- but it wouldn't be accurate to conclude it from my text, since as noted above, I was making a funny. Still -- there is one location which was drawn from a very good game, and two which had their roots in fanfic (mine). And one which was informed by a phone interview with a police officer.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:47 AM   #8
Methariel

Default Oh...ahem...

Quote:
I was mostly making a joke. O:>
Oh, well...ahem...it seems that I didn't get it... smiles embarrassedly And I'm not sure if I can hand off the responsibility for that to my not-so-firm grasp on the English language...

Methariel

Tags
combat, rules