Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
Vynticator

Default High Hp

Question here about High Hp and Injury rules. If you have, say, 30 HP, you are reeling and staggering at half-move and dodge when on 1/3 Hp, which means even with 10hp left (ie. what most people have as standard full health) you are in pretty bad shape. That seems odd to me. Anyone got any good house rules to deal with that, or does it not seem odd to other people?

Additional query: Basic set seems to allow ST some way over 20. Martial Arts seems to suggest some Martial Artists (eg. sumo wrestlers) can have 100% extra HP (rather than the usual 30%) which would put human max HP at 40+... sounds quite a lot...
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: High Hp

The penalty to Move and Dodge is based on your relative damage level not the number of HP you have.
It does not strike me as odd that someone with a lot of HP takes more to disable but that they do not have to be at normal HP levle to have a visible and significant toll from such massive injury.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
PK

Don't think of it as how many HP the person has left. Think about how many HP they've lost. In the example, the HP 30 person has to lose 20 HP before he's reeling, where a normal person needs only lose 7 HP. That's the real difference. The high-HP person then has an even larger buffer (a 10-HP-wide one instead of a 3-HP-wide one) before he starts passing out. So at every stage of the process, he has a huge advantage.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
Vynticator

Ok, thanks, that's helpful!
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Mr Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Don't think of it as how many HP the person has left. Think about how many HP they've lost. In the example, the HP 30 person has to lose 20 HP before he's reeling, where a normal person needs only lose 7 HP. That's the real difference. The high-HP person then has an even larger buffer (a 10-HP-wide one instead of a 3-HP-wide one) before he starts passing out. So at every stage of the process, he has a huge advantage.
To add to this , consider a fight between a mouse and a man .

The mouse has only 1 Hit Point and the man has 13 but because we are supposed to take this fight seriously {it's Narnia !} , we adjust the Damage and Hit Point scale by a multiple of 10 so the mouse has 10 Hit Points and the man 130 .

The mouse is slowed if it loses 7 hits , but the man can keep going full tilt until releaved of 91 .

See how silly that mouse killing athletic Human soldiers with a hat pin in Narnia was ?

;p

Seriously though , it's just a matter of structural damage and loss of blood pressure .

The St 30 character and St 10 character are both slowed when the same percentage of structural damage and/or reduction in blood pressure {the biggest killer of trauma victims} is reached .

Just like it takes much more damage to slow down an aircraft carrier than a tugboat , but what will then sink the tugboat will hardly be noticed by the carrier .
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Frost View Post
See how silly that mouse killing athletic Human soldiers with a hat pin in Narnia was ?

;p
Ahem... There's more to Reepicheep than meets the eye-
Old 11-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Ahem... There's more to Reepicheep than meets the eye-
Ouch. Reepicheep meeting the eye sounds... painful.