Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: My tweaks to the Bola

Inclusive of the first megahex?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Inclusive of the first megahex?
Past your own megahex.

Range in hexes, DX mod
1, None
2-4, -1
5-7, -2
etc
Old 10-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
larsdangly

Personally, I would say inclusive of the first MH, so there is always some sort of penalty in the effectiveness of your attack in exchange for staying disengaged from a foe. It's more balanced for that reason, as well as being more realistic.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #14
Shostak

While looking for something else, I happened across the bola section in ITL and noticed that bola throwers suffer only -4DX to hit a target's head. This contradicts the Aimed Shots rules starting on ITL 120, thus creating yet another special case. I'd do away with this and impose the higher penalty from Aimed Shots.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #15
JohnPaulB

Default Re: My tweaks to the Bola - Mega Thrown Weapons Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
So, bottom line, I think a rational approach is RAW for everything but the javelin and throwing axe, which get a -1/MH penalty; weapons that really are not intended for throwing, like most spears, axes, maces and hammers, can probably stick with -1/hex without offending anyone.
Taking a cue from Larsdangly:

IQ12 Talent
Mega Thrown Weapons (2): Ability to throw things more accurately over vastly longer distances. A figure with this talent can throw something at -1/MH penalty instead of the standard -1 for every hex of distance to the target. Player may choose which Talent style (TW or MTW) he wishes to throw something before he throws it. Prerequisite: Thrown Weapons Talent.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:26 PM   #16
Axly Suregrip

In response to comments from others:

- I am trying to fix the bola, not address how all thrown weapons work. I am okay with -1 DX per hex for range with a bola.

- The Bola is a peculiar weapon and as such it is fitting that its rules differ from the norm. So the DX -4 for head instead of DX -6 makes sense as it is a very wide shot that then wraps.

- I have seen comments elsewhere that all entanglement weapons should require a ST test like that of the shield rush. I strongly disagree with that regarding the bola. It is a weapon used by the cowboys of south america to bring down game, horse, cows and llamas. It is capable of dropping a bull. As bull or horse strength does not make sense in a shield rush type test this is just not a good model. All the bola entanglement rules in TFT should still apply. I will also tweak my 1 hex foe to 2 hex foe.

- The span of the bola is about 6 feet. Wider than a hex. The restriction I added that it cannot pass down a hex seam like a narrow arrow must remain.

- A real bola (used with gauchos to catch horses, game, cattle) and not just a one by survivalist (catching small game like rabbits) takes time to wind up. It is not a fast throw weapon. As such the restriction I added, that once you draw a bola, you may not throw it the same turn with Thrown Weapons talent, must remain.

So, this is where I am at with this. Hopefully this is the final edit for how the bola should be in TFT:

BOLA:
- takes a turn to prepare when readying the weapon, regardless of Thrown Weapons skill.
- entanglement is only effective against creatures that are 2 hex in size or smaller.
- you may not roll to miss. If there is a figure or obstacle that would normally require someone throwing to roll to miss, you may not roll to miss.
- when throwing down a seam between hexes, the bola travels through both hexes instead of missing both. That means if there is an impassable object (pillar, wall, tree, etc) in either the throw is blocked.
- when throwing down a seam between hexes, the bola would travel through both hexes instead of miss both. If both are occupied, randomly determine which may be hit first.

Last edited by Axly Suregrip; 10-12-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #17
larsdangly

Note there is no ST test in a shield rush. Attacker rolls 3d vs. DX like a normal attack; if successful, the target rolls either 3d vs. DX or (if attacker is weaker) 2d vs. DX.

I like where your mind went with that, as a ST contest makes more sense and is more exciting to resolve. But RAW doesn't do that.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #18
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
- The Bola is a peculiar weapon and as such it is fitting that its rules differ from the norm. So the DX -4 for head instead of DX -6 makes sense as it is a very wide shot that then wraps.
The logical extension of this is that bolas give +2DX regardless of what body part is being aimed at. I'd argue that this is not desirable.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #19
phiwum

Good point, especially considering that Thrown Weapons (and hence +2 DX bonus) is a prerequisite for bolas.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #20
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Note there is no ST test in a shield rush. Attacker rolls 3d vs. DX like a normal attack; if successful, the target rolls either 3d vs. DX or (if attacker is weaker) 2d vs. DX.

I like where your mind went with that, as a ST contest makes more sense and is more exciting to resolve. But RAW doesn't do that.
You are correct, I should not have called it a ST test. The point is, if a bola's entanglement is to use the same test as a shield rush, then it will be affected by the targets ST. So, a using it on against a horse, say ST 20, will give the horse a 2/DX saving roll due to his great ST. An easy test. And why would your ST apply anyway, you are not wrestling with the horse as you have let the bola go.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote