Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #21
Daigoro

Default Re: [AtE] Bicycling in the Post-Apocalypse

Not mentioned so far:
We'd still have plenty of roads after the apocalypse, including thousands of miles of freeway. And where stalled traffic is an impediment to a working car, bicycles can just go around it.

And a good mountain bike only weighs 15 kg or so. If you come across rough terrain, you can shoulder it along until you get to smoother roads, then you can continue going at speed.

Finally, in some countries (maybe not the car-loving US or Australia), there are millions of bikes lying around. It would be weird if people didn't use them.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #22
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Covering a knife or chisel blade in oil helps with everything except the steel belt.
I can't imagine these, or grinders and bolt-cutters, would be in that short of supply.

They'really just salvaged items that have value to cobblers and cycle shops, so they'll come in as salvagers bring them.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #23
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Covering a knife or chisel blade in oil helps with everything except the steel belt.

The steel belt is why I said that. That's good hard steel, that is, and /far/ better recycled into tools and armour than used for shoe soles.

If you make the gear, though (including a good blade made from tyre mesh), you could cut the tread off the mesh as part of your steel reclamation and also make shoes.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #24
Luke Bunyip

Hate to necro this thread*, but in which book can I find stats for travel times for bicycles? I've been looking in what I have (GURPS bookwise) but I haven't found any yet.

Failing that, suggests for travel times, movement rates etc, for bicycles?

*Post may not contain traces of actual shame

Last edited by Luke Bunyip; 09-08-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Luke Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:18 PM   #25
Daigoro

I could average 15 kph through light city traffic on a mountain bike, if that helps as a starting point.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:31 AM   #26
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
in which book can I find stats for travel times for bicycles?
High-Tech, p. 230.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:47 AM   #27
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
High-Tech, p. 230.
Ta muchly.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #28
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Hate to necro this thread*, but in which book can I find stats for travel times for bicycles? I've been looking in what I have (GURPS bookwise) but I haven't found any yet.

Failing that, suggests for travel times, movement rates etc, for bicycles?

*Post may not contain traces of actual shame
for After the End I would just roughly guesstimate it by doubling the hiking rate. Any slower bits you get from rougher terrain would be balanced by going faster on the smooth bits and downhill.

For an example of post-apocalyptic use of bikes, see 90’s TV show Dark Angel. Lots of bicycle usage after a EMP magically knocks out all tech west of the Rocky Mountains. Jessica Alba is on the run (escaped genetic experiment) and works for “Jam Pony” as a Bike courier in a wrecked out Seattle.

Now I need to go find and rewatch that show.

Last edited by LokRobster; 09-09-2020 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Form updated the page and we find it’s high tech pg230
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #29
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
for After the EndFor an example of post-apocalyptic use of bikes, see 90’s TV show Dark Angel. Lots of bicycle usage after a EMP magically knocks out all tech west of the Rocky Mountains. Jessica Alba is on the run (escaped genetic experiment) and works for “Jam Pony” as a Bike courier in a wrecked out Seattle.
Also used extensively in SM Stirling's Emberverse, in the immediate post-Change world. At that point, roads are still in good shape for awhile. There's mention of one guy who biked from Upstate New York to Oregon.

In later novels, some of the factions use bikes for mounted infantry, dragoon-style. They're maintaining a road network at that point, though it's not the Interstate any more. There's also plenty of cavalry for contrast.
thorr-kan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #30
Pursuivant

The real reason that bikes don't appear that much in AtE settings is because they're just not cool enough for the aesthetic.

No matter how much you trick out your bike, it's hard to keep the other spiky-haired, mutant cannibals from laughing at your ride. There just aren't enough good places to mount the spikes or place the severed heads of your enemies.

Silliness aside, what bikes are fantastic for in AtE settings is power generation. You don't need rubber tires in order to turn a bicycle into a 1/4 H-P (1 mutant-power) stationary engine.

An elite cyclist can generate 400 watts of power per hour during a bike race. GURPS HT is a bit optimistic in estimating the amount of energy that a normal person can generate, but it's not too far off the mark. Even 100 watts/hr for an out-of-shape or sickly operator is enough to recharge batteries or operate small household appliances.

There were also early 19th c. velocipedes which had metal-shod, wooden wheels. They were limited more by the lack of a decent drive and gearing system than by the wheels. Redesign a bike with a heavy-duty spring suspension system on the struts and seat and you don't need rubber tires. It might not be as efficient, but it could be made and maintained with TL5+ tech.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end, bicycling