Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
KnightWhoSaysNi

Default Does a Monster Leaving the Fight Constitute Defeating It?

I was playing the other day and was fighting a monster. Several enhancers were played on that single monster, but ultimately, I was unable to kill it. I had a card (I don't remember which) that said the monster wandered away from the fight, meaning you don't get the levels, but you do take its treasure. However, a lot of the monster enhancers said 'if defeated' draw an extra treasure. I ended up only taking the treasures from the monster itself, and not the extras. In the future, can I take the extra treasures?

TL;DR, does 'defeat' on monster enhancers mean kill?
KnightWhoSaysNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Default Re: Does a Monster Leaving the Fight Constitute Defeating It?

https://munchkin.game/gameplay/faq/

Quote:
Important Note #3: "Defeated" versus "Killed" versus "Lost"

For the purposes of the game, "defeating" a monster involves beating it in combat or removing it from play in such a way that you do not have to Run Away. This means that if a Wizard casts a charm spell, or a munchkin uses a Pollymorph Potion, or something else happens that ends a fight without the munchkins Running Away, the monster is defeated. This may or may not grant Treasures, depending on the method of defeat; assume it does not unless the card or method says otherwise.

"Killed" means that you defeated the monster with your Level and bonuses in combat, or used some card or special ability that specifically states that it kills the monster. For this, you get levels and Treasure.
As you can see, "defeated" and "killed" mean two different things. Since the enhancers say "if defeated" and not "killed", then if the card you played says you get the treasure, it also applies to the extra treasure from the enhancers.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote