Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #31
Ragabash Moon

Default Re: [DF] Idea for the Witch as a monster type

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Maybe a witch could be the evil analog of the shaman. The witch could get her powers from demons through pacts instead of worshipping a demon lord. Just an idea.
That's kind of how Pathfinder does it, while the patron doesn't have to be evil (there is even some new patron ideas in their "Champions of Purity" splatbook), they do get their powers via a pact with a supernatural entity, be it demon, angel, god, most of the time they aren't really sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Maybe the witch is also looting the dungeon for it's secrets and treasures just like the PCs.
Yeah, that always works. the MMO Neverwinter has a dungeon that has where one of the boss encounters is a hostile group of rival adventurers. When you come into the room, they are like "Hey we were here first" and pull their weapons.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #32
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
Yeah, that always works. the MMO Neverwinter has a dungeon that has where one of the boss encounters is a hostile group of rival adventurers. When you come into the room, they are like "Hey we were here first" and pull their weapons.
Your memory jogged my memory. I forget the context, but one of the posters to the Old Pyramid Boards once said "A whole civilisation of Player Characters!!!!! RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!" PCs are amoung the nastiest monsters going. That's why the WHITE WOLF games worked. Most of your foes were just like PCs.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #33
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Your memory jogged my memory. I forget the context, but one of the posters to the Old Pyramid Boards once said "A whole civilisation of Player Characters!!!!! RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!" PCs are amoung the nastiest monsters going. That's why the WHITE WOLF games worked. Most of your foes were just like PCs.
Ya, Vampire and Werewolf especially, YOU ARE THE MONSTER. My opinions of White Wolf should be obvious haha.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #34
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Ya, Vampire and Werewolf especially, YOU ARE THE MONSTER. My opinions of White Wolf should be obvious haha.
"Monsters we are, lest monster we become." didn't have to be a silly excuse to laughingly commit atrocities. Even though that's how nearly all of my fellow gamers played them. (Most people I played with over the years have hit every single RPG cliché imaginable.)

I think PCs as the enemy should more accurately be labeled, "smart villains." Combat for goals, even if those goals are man-flesh rather than just idiots fighting when all sense suggests biding one's time and/or fleeing for now.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:

Neverwinter is nicely frustrating, because the enemies include healers that hide behind the heavy hitters like any rational P.C would. It's amazing how much that initially startled me.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #36
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Neverwinter is nicely frustrating, because the enemies include healers that hide behind the heavy hitters like any rational P.C would. It's amazing how much that initially startled me.
Yeah, Neverwinter is a marvel of an MMO. Funny thing is, I love the mechanic of it... for precisely the same reason I can't stand Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition. 4th Edition on paper is exactly like the MMO. But, when I play tabletop I don't' want to play with MMO mechanics.