Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
gjc8

Default Re: Mnemotropins as a permanent Advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
I would assume so. All Super-Speed does is increase your 'out of combat' speed for mundane/repetitive tasks using the Speed/Range Table - you can technically achieve the same effect by buying LOTS of levels of unmodified ATR (as well as the other in-combat benefits, etc).
It seems pretty clear to me that the list is a description of things don't qualify for the extra speed boost for mundane/repetitive tasks, not things that don't benefit from ATR at all. With enough levels of unmodified ATR, you achieve the benefits of the Super-Speed enhancement AND your speed works on things that don't qualify for Super-Speed (which is why it would cost more).
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
How does that affect character creation?
Since the ability to do it is clearly small-a advantageous, he's considering what it might cost as an Advantage. This could be an alternative to spending money on drugs that have the same effect.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
How does that affect character creation?
It wouldn't.

Starting point budgets aren't subject to the Improvement Through Study rules (GURPS Basic, pg 292) or Time Use Sheets (GURPS Basic, pg 499).

More generally,

Talent (Learning) +1 (Learning Time Reduction Only, -80%) [3/]
Alternate Benefit: Talent Bonus applies to Maintaining Skills.

Per the advice in GURPS Power Ups 3, on pg 21, you shouldn't allow more than 5 levels of this (50% learning reduction) unless the game you are running would generally allow a greater reduction from Talent. And it suggests that even then, a 50% reduction of learning time should be about as fast as ya can go.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
Lamech

Advantages that allow "faster" learning through study:

Talents. Up to double the normal rate. You could model it as a talent. Although with the advent of Modular Abilities Cosmic Slotted you could build it as
Modular Ability Cosmic Slotted 5 (only for talents that only speed learning-X%, Feature: Fluffed as a quick learner.) And use it to grab Talent 5 (the skill I'm studying) (Only for studying -80%
Cost 42-X%

You could buy Jumper (time) and repeatedly study in one period of time. You can add some limitations on too.
Cost 100-X%

Less sleep grants you an hour a day for two points. You can add limitations to model being a faster learner.
Cost: 2 points/hr-X%.

ATR: Doubles how fast you study.
Cost: 100-X%

All in all it seems that doubling rate of study should cost about 20 points. I do note one thing to be wary of, is that a lot of these methods multiply each other. Spending 100 points ATR gets you studying say... 6 times as fast. Spending 60 on ATR, MA, and less sleep gets you going 8 times as fast. If you add another similarly priced advantage its suddenly 16 times as fast for 80 points.

P.S. Time travel is stupid.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #25
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
I would assume so. All Super-Speed does is increase your 'out of combat' speed for mundane/repetitive s using the Speed/Range Table - you can technically achieve the same effect by buying LOTS of levels of unmodified ATR (as well as the other in-combat benefits, etc).
The difference is with normal altered time rate you can do non-mundane/repetitive tasks. If learning is a non-mundane/repetitive then you wouldn't be able to do it with Super-Speed, but you might with normal ATR.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
Refplace

I assume you can do this with basic ATR (just not further boosted with the enhanced version) and possibly with CM and Duplication if their are parts that benefit from practice. Naruto learned that trick and it was a rather cool episode when his teachers told him about it.
Further (and cheaper) Does not Sleep or No need to eat can save you time and thus let you put in more hours so are RAW ways to get what you want. Just change the special effect.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
Xplo

In a THS game, the appropriate advantage would seem to be Perk: Equipment (bottle of mnemotropins) [1].

;D

In other games... mreh... I dunno, I'm kinda leaning towards "no, this is a point crock."

OTOH, if you're determined to have it: Doesn't Sleep costs, what, 25 points? Having 8 extra hours a day to study is like a 50% increase in study time, but not sleeping has other obvious benefits, so Learns Twice As Fast ought to cost less than twice 25 points... say, 40 points?

Arguably, at that cost, no one would ever buy this unless they had good reason to think that their character would get more than 8000 hour-equivalents of study time during a campaign - or unless points aren't really an issue. OTOH, in a campaign where this advantage is freely available to PCs and presumably provides lifelong benefits, one might question why any resident of that setting wouldn't have it. Point crocks aren't quite as problematic if everyone gets them.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #28
Anaraxes

There can be no universally fixed price that's fair, since there's a sliding scale of learning to be done. This is similar to the problem discussed in another thread with Can't Wear Armor for DR -- the value depends on how much DR is available from normal equipment and how much DR you buy.

In this case, the problem is also similar to the quandary you see between equipment and Advantages, particularly in cyberpunk or other cyborged games. There's always a problem when you can buy the same thing with two different currencies -- CP or money. In this case, the two currencies are CP and study time.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #29
NineDaysDead
Banned

Power-ups: Talents has rules for talents giving up to 50% reduction in training times, so maybe:

Modular Abilities: Cosmic Power (Only Talents With "No Skill or Reputation bonus, -?80?%" -50%) 5 levels [25]

Whenever you start learning something you have a talent for it, that doesn't provide a Skill or Reputation bonus just 50% reduction in training times.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #30
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
OTOH, if you're determined to have it: Doesn't Sleep costs, what, 25 points? Having 8 extra hours a day to study is like a 50% increase in study time, but not sleeping has other obvious benefits, so Learns Twice As Fast ought to cost less than twice 25 points... say, 40 points?
Just for the record, Doesn't Sleep is 20 and not 25. It's not a linear aD anyway and Less Sleep 4 is only 8 pts rather than 10.

As tot eh rest of it, if Doesn't Sleep does everything Learns Twice As Fast deos and more I really can't see changing more for the less capable Advantage.

When I start deconstructing Talents out of a 5 pt Talent I gnerlaly get 3 for the Skill bonus, 1 pt for the smalish Reputation which leaves 1 pt for 10% reduction in learning time in a limited field. That'd be 5 pts for 50% in the field.

So with this ,logic you're stuck somewhere more than 5 but definitely less than 20. Call it 10 or 15.

Alternately, ATR(Learning Only) is probably a legitimate build and the Learning Only looks like amaxed out Limit to me which puts you back at 20.

Tags
bio-tech, improvement through study, mnemotropins, talent, time use